How long...…......

BeekeeperMG5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Our 5 went in for a new heater, FG Barnes, Maidstone on Monday 3rd July. It is still there! The heater replacement was went ok, but, the cannot change the temperature up or down. How does it work with warranty work? FG Barnes says that they have to wait for instructions from MG UK/China. They try something, it does not work then let MG know then wait up to two days for MG to reply with the next thing to try. FG Barnes says that they cannot do anything without MGs say so or they wont be paid for the warranty work. In the meantime we have a have a loan ICE car which is costing a fortune in fuel!!

TIA

My MG was in the workshop for 18 weeks this year with a two week break in the middle. Got it back now and happy with it but it was a loooong time. Mostly because the dealer could not work out the problem and they were very busy fixing other MG cars. If they have worked on mine only and diagnosed it properly I reckon it would have been 2 to 3 weeks with most of that time being the wait for the part.

Similar process but shorter experience.

My 5 was in for 3 and half weeks over last Christmas. So much shorter - but the process was the same. Lots of trial and error, starting with the simple and cheap fixes and slowly moving to the more expensive solutions. The cycle was slowed because 1) MG and my dealer were on holiday. 2) There is only 1 MG trained service person at the dealer.

The solution was to replace the Charge Control Unit which had been damaged by a failed charge on a Gridserve 50kW charger. Not a cheap fix so I can understand how they are trying to manage warranty costs.

Other lesson, if possible avoid chargers that show unknown status on the apps.

I’m also having a similar issue. After 14 months of trouble free driving I’ve now broken down three times with various errors including dc-dc charge fault, auto hold fault and motor fault. First time at the dealer they did a software update and I wasn’t confident as I find undiagnosed software updates rarely fix the problem. After my third breakdown the car is back at the dealer and it’s been just over 4 weeks. Same story as above, dealer is waiting on mg to advise what to do next and to authorise the next stage. Dealer can’t provide any update on timescales. Come on MG, you can and must do better!! Our other car, a diesel Kia, has given nearly 40k miles of trouble free driving. I’m starting to regret my decision to go electric or at least my decision to chose mg 😞

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom