How many others have been ripped-off at an MG dealer?

EVLover

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I took my MG5 in for it's yearly service and stupidly asked them to just check the front and rear wipers and replace them if they thought it necessary.... silly boy! Give the dealer any excuse and they'll charge you for something! Not a problem if the charge is reasonable but when I came to pay, the cost of replacing three blades was £63!!! When I complained all the dealer would say was "but we have to buy them separately!". I was so incensed that I checked how much Halfords would charge for exactly the same service and was quoted £21..... How disgraceful of MG to charge triple!! Has anyone else been ripped-off so blatantly?

asked them to just check the front and rear wipers and replace them if they thought it necessary
Of course, they obeyed your instructions and accordingly then charged you the official MG retail price of the parts required.
They do not set the price of these parts, that is done by MG ( plus some commission to the dealer ).
Then they are very likely to apply some labour costs for installing the blades ?.
It would be the same at any other dealership.
Sometimes the official genuine branded parts CAN be less expensive than third party items.
But it pays to do your home work first.
Lesson learnt here I think !.

Last edited:
Yes I agree, lesson learnt, caveat emptor (don't know if that's spelt right 🙄). Just surprised you are so blasé about dubious practices even when they're considered "normal".

I don't think it is just MG. You get a service anywhere and you will get a few advisory items that may or may not need doing. Wiper blades, brake flush or tyres still with 3mm on them. How times have you had an MOT and the same advisories pop up on the list?

I took my MG5 in for it's yearly service and stupidly asked them to just check the front and rear wipers and replace them if they thought it necessary.... silly boy! Give the dealer any excuse and they'll charge you for something! Not a problem if the charge is reasonable but when I came to pay, the cost of replacing three blades was £63!!! When I complained all the dealer would say was "but we have to buy them separately!". I was so incensed that I checked how much Halfords would charge for exactly the same service and was quoted £21..... How disgraceful of MG to charge triple!! Has anyone else been ripped-off so blatantly?
You have to take into account that labour rates in dealerships being around £80/hr and all businesses to stay in business have to mark up materials, normally by about 50%.

Even more blatant although I didn't go for it.
When my car went in for its first service at 2 years old, 12000 miles, mg quoted £487, when I questioned why so high for a car without an engine , they said they could take off the AC service, I said still high, so they took off the brake service (not sure what brakes that are barely used & only 12000 miles would need), took price down to £287. Before the service they asked if we wanted new batteries in key fob and several other extras which I declined. When I collected the car they wanted an extra £19 to replace a headlight bulb which I paid and then I asked what was done for a £287 service, turns out they replaced the pollen filter, replaced brake fluid and some other checks and they also cleaned the brakes and replaced the key fob battery. (assume the brake cleaning would have been the additional chargeable 'brake service' and had I agreed to the extras the fob battery would have cost me £20 . Question everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I agree, lesson learnt, caveat emptor (don't know if that's spelt right 🙄). Just surprised you are so blasé about dubious practices even when they're considered "normal".
I am not blasé about it, but after working in the motor industry for a long time ( now retired) you get a good understanding of how the system works.
I did not say I agreed or approved of it, far from it !.
It has been this way for a long time and is unlikely to change anytime soon I feel.
With the uptake of more and more EV’s there is a negative knock on effect with regards to the reduction in service work etc that flows through the garage workshops.
So, they are going to jump on any opportunity to pick up any additional work that they can be asked to carry out, or find as part of a so called free health check / MOT request.
I never take my cars to the dealer for an MOT even it’s free !.
Nothing is free today !.

I'll never forget Ford calling me when my van was in for a service, "your brakes pads are 60% worn, would you like them replaced?", my reply was " so you're telling me my brake pads have almost 50% pad left?, I don't think they need replacing , do you?" , they all try it on because too many will pay without question.

It's not only MG. I had a service plan with Honda who tried to persuade me to have a new air filter fitted for £60. That's a £20 air filter and about 10 minutes work. When I came to looking at what the service plan included, most of it involved inspections. Replacement of filters, spark plugs etc was extra. They will have spent more time washing the car!

I'll never forget Ford calling me when my van was in for a service, "your brakes pads are 60% worn, would you like them replaced?", my reply was " so you're telling me my brake pads have almost 50% pad left?, I don't think they need replacing , do you?" , they all try it on because too many will pay without question.
I remember taking in a VW Polo into a local dealer.
The previous owner had paid in full, for a transferable 3 year service plan.
Therefore the service we where about to have was FOC to ourselves.
I opted to wait for the car and had just sat down with a coffee and the news paper.
When I was approached by a guy who told me that he had looked around the car and it was in excellent condition ( I thought, look out something is coming ).
He then went on to say that according to VW layout, the cam belt is due for replacement and lucky enough for me, they had time to replace it on the same appointment.
Doing me a favour, by saving me time by bringing it back at a later date.
I then asked him WHEN it was actually due and he replied :- "Within In the next 18 months sir !".
I told him :- "Nice try ....... thanks but no thanks".
The quote for the work was north of £300.00.
There was no money going through the till for the service of course.
This one reason why I don't like service plans myself.

Jeez - I took mine in for it's 2 year 16000 mile service. I needed resuscitating when she asked if I was happy with their quoted £309 price. I asked why it was that much and she checked and said they'd entered the wrong code and it was actually - £136 including VAT. I've no problem with that at all!
Looks like Chorley Motors, Burnley are pretty reasonable

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom