How much does it actually cost to charge from flat to full?

AndyNWuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
As I use my car for both private and business, I asked my accountant how should I claim for my travel costs when using the car for business now that I have a full electric vehicle rather than claiming for the diesel or petrol as before.

He told me to keep a check on my Home Electric Bills and they could estimate the increase over time, which I personally thought was not really an accurate assumption.

I therefore, (being a qualified electrician) decided to go one better and installed a Digital Meter on the Car Charger Circuit, which now allows me to take a reading before I charge and after it has finished.

This made my accountant very happy indeed to say the least as now I can give him the exact figures he needs.

SO HOW MUCH DOES IT ACTUALLY COST TO CHARGE MY ZS EV?
Well, as mentioned on a previous posting, I am with an energy supplier called "Outfox The Market" who supply my electric at just over .12p per KWatt Hour at all times, we do not get a lower rate during the night, as we need to charge both our vehicles day and night when required, so this suits us better.

So the other day I came home with just 10 miles left to go on my vehicle and a sweaty forehead with hoping I would make it home before the car run out of steam! but knowing from reading previous postings on here, I still had a small reserve on the battery even with 1 light remaining on the charge indicator.

So as usual, I took the reading before charging and after charging and calculated the total cost based on the above electricity amounts and added the 5% VAT too and it came to £4.82 all in!

So a true measured and accurate cost of what my MG ZS EV costs to charge from almost flat to full and proves how economical this vehicle actually is.

Which all goes to show, you MUST find the best electric energy deal, compare the prices from your energy supplier, make sure if you go for a cheaper overnight rate that your daily rate isn't through the roof otherwise you aren't really saving anything.

I found that compromising on an "all time" rate at just over .12p per KWH was better for us, we can charge at anytime day or night for this amount and don't worry about running washing machines or other appliances throughout the day as everything comes in at one price.

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)

Car Charging Meter.jpg

Why don’t you just claim as per government legislation which is 45p for the first 10,000 miles and 25p for anything after the first 10,000 miles as per a company car scheme. The amount you can claim per mile is for a car and it’s irrelevant if it’s petrol, diesel or electric...

Why don’t you just claim as per government legislation which is 45p for the first 10,000 miles and 25p for anything after the first 10,000 miles as per a company car scheme. The amount you can claim per mile is for a car and it’s irrelevant if it’s petrol, diesel or electric...
+1 on that 👍

If it’s of any interest, I went right down on range yesterday, returning home with 15 miles left on the GOM. Connected it to the Zappi and it consumed 42.17 kWh before reverting to the 300W trickle mode. I think that’s a fair empty to full test, which is just over a fiver on our rate of 12.5 pence. 👍

Hi Mark,

I didn't want my car to be classed as a Company Car as although I do use it for a very small business use it is mainly my private vehicle.

Not sure how the Accountant is going to look at this point, as I have not had the electric vehicle long and don't do that many business miles these days in it, mainly just local work.

I use to keep the fuel receipts on my previous vehicle and the Accountant worked it out on an average of 75% private and 25% business and the diesel costs where calculated with that in mind.

Will be speaking with him next month for the financial year end and see how he wants to approach the new electric car this time around.

I will now be able to give him more accurate figures with the new Meter Installed on the Car Charging Circuit, which helps.

Andy

Hi Mark,

I didn't want my car to be classed as a Company Car as although I do use it for a very small business use it is mainly my private vehicle.

Not sure how the Accountant is going to look at this point, as I have not had the electric vehicle long and don't do that many business miles these days in it, mainly just local work.

I use to keep the fuel receipts on my previous vehicle and the Accountant worked it out on an average of 75% private and 25% business and the diesel costs where calculated with that in mind.

Will be speaking with him next month for the financial year end and see how he wants to approach the new electric car this time around.

I will now be able to give him more accurate figures with the new Meter Installed on the Car Charging Circuit, which helps.

Andy
It doesn’t have to be a company car for these rates. In fact, you can get any amount you can get away with/negotiate, but anything above the rates quoted will be taxable. Lots of info on the HMRC web site.

As I use my car for both private and business, I asked my accountant how should I claim for my travel costs when using the car for business now that I have a full electric vehicle rather than claiming for the diesel or petrol as before.

He told me to keep a check on my Home Electric Bills and they could estimate the increase over time, which I personally thought was not really an accurate assumption.

I therefore, (being a qualified electrician) decided to go one better and installed a Digital Meter on the Car Charger Circuit, which now allows me to take a reading before I charge and after it has finished.

This made my accountant very happy indeed to say the least as now I can give him the exact figures he needs.

Well, as mentioned on a previous posting, I am with an energy supplier called "Outfox The Market" who supply my electric at just over .12p per KWatt Hour at all times, we do not get a lower rate during the night, as we need to charge both our vehicles day and night when required, so this suits us better.

So the other day I came home with just 10 miles left to go on my vehicle and a sweaty forehead with hoping I would make it home before the car run out of steam! but knowing from reading previous postings on here, I still had a small reserve on the battery even with 1 light remaining on the charge indicator.

So as usual, I took the reading before charging and after charging and calculated the total cost based on the above electricity amounts and added the 5% VAT too and it came to £4.82 all in!

So a true measured and accurate cost of what my MG ZS EV costs to charge from almost flat to full and proves how economical this vehicle actually is.

Which all goes to show, you MUST find the best electric energy deal, compare the prices from your energy supplier, make sure if you go for a cheaper overnight rate that your daily rate isn't through the roof otherwise you aren't really saving anything.

I found that compromising on an "all time" rate at just over .12p per KWH was better for us, we can charge at anytime day or night for this amount and don't worry about running washing machines or other appliances throughout the day as everything comes in at one price.

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)

View attachment 977

I‘ve done the exact some thing with a little meter like this, so I can keep and eye on it and “charge“ any visitors who might use my charger. 😎

If it’s of any interest, I went right down on range yesterday, returning home with 15 miles left on the GOM. Connected it to the Zappi and it consumed 42.17 kWh before reverting to the 300W trickle mode. I think that’s a fair empty to full test, which is just over a fiver on our rate of 12.5 pence. 👍
Hi Robert,

Very similar figures to what I am getting, I don't think the ROLEC Charger without the timer goes to trickle mode once the main charge is completed, unlike the Zappi unit.

Andy

Hope this helps.

Andy (Blackpool)

View attachment 977
Hi Andy, I'm also with Out Fox The Market all day tariff. I've received email notification that prices will increase on January 28th 2021. New Unit Price .15960p Standing Charge .1887p. Time to look for new supplier!

Hi Mark,

Andy
It doesn’t need to be registered as a company car, just keep an accurate record of all business journeys to and from your destination from your home and only charge the recommended rates for those trips.
It’s quiet easy to do as my car is privately owned and I get a car allowance, but my company only pay .25p for all business miles, however you can claim the difference directly from the tax man.
Anyway all the best.

Hi Andy not sure yet as I not got the car yet but I have got the zappi fitted and also got the hub to go with it so the hub from my energy costs around £15-20 but with that you can put an app on a mobile phone and the app will tell you how many KWs the zappi has put into the car so get that figure off your phone and multiple it by the cost per KW job done also in the app it keeps a record which you can bring up of every day for a month or more and the app also gives you some control over the zappi as well I to am with outfox find them great same as you around 12p at anytime no probs I’m sure you can retro fit a hub to the zappi I would give myenergi a call they are very helpful I can assure you just one other point don’t forget about the wear and tear on your vehicle tyres depreciation etc it not just electric don’t sell yourself short I would say if your paying 12KW charge 15kw to cover these items couple of picture below hope this helps
Les
A5C2520E-A0C0-42B7-B3A3-D9414890D58C.png
533D8263-7004-4DDF-87BA-CEDF0233FDC0.png

Last edited:
Hi Andy, I'm also with Out Fox The Market all day tariff. I've received email notification that prices will increase on January 28th 2021. New Unit Price .15960p Standing Charge .1887p. Time to look for new supplier!
Wow, haven’t had any notification of that price rise yet as still I am still under contract with Outfox The Market until February, so thanks for the warning, it’s time to look for a new supplier. 👍

Hi Andy not sure yet as I not got the car yet but I have got the zappi fitted and also got the hub to go with it so the hub from my energy costs around £15-20 but with that you can put an app on a mobile phone and the app will tell you how many KWs the zappi has put into the car so get that figure off your phone and multiple it by the cost per KW job done also in the app it keeps a record which you can bring up of every day for a month or more and the app also gives you some control over the zappi as well I to am with outfox find them great same as you around 12p at anytime no probs I’m sure you can retro fit a hub to the zappi I would give myenergi a call they are very helpful I can assure you just one other point don’t forget about the wear and tear on your vehicle tyres depreciation etc it not just electric don’t sell yourself short I would say if your paying 12KW charge 15kw to cover these items couple of picture below hope this helps
LesView attachment 979View attachment 980
The Zappi charger looks great, my ROLEC is a very basic unit and we have had it installed since 2018 when we had the previous Mercedes to his one, with was also a hybrid.

I didn't realise the Zappi had an app either, the Mercedes has an app to show charging, pre-heating and loads more, but this is something lacking on the MG unfortunately.

I am following the development of the OVMS App, hopefully won't be too long before more features are added and I can but the device for my MG.

Andy (Blackpool)

It doesn’t need to be registered as a company car, just keep an accurate record of all business journeys to and from your destination from your home and only charge the recommended rates for those trips.
It’s quiet easy to do as my car is privately owned and I get a car allowance, but my company only pay .25p for all business miles, however you can claim the difference directly from the tax man.
Anyway all the best.
Thanks for that info Mark, very much appreciated, I will have a word with the Accountant to see exactly what method he is using to claim may business miles back in January.

Have a nice New Years Eve and a Happy New Year for when it comes.

Andy (Blackpool)

Thanks for that info Mark, very much appreciated, I will have a word with the Accountant to see exactly what method he is using to claim may business miles back in January.

Have a nice New Years Eve and a Happy New Year for when it comes.

Andy (Blackpool)
And you Andy, hope this information helps

Hi Mark,

Andy
Hi Andy,

I am self employed. I have HP for the car. I couldn’t be bothered to get a loan and it was just easier to set up.

Anyhow, I charge 45p/mile fir the first 10,000 miles. I get so much more off my tax bill doing it this way.

The last financial year I claimed for around 11,000 business miles. Well over £4500 to offset. If I charged servicing & fuel & insurance it would have been very little in comparison, even though my insurance is high.

My cars were never 'company cars'....but my account put in my mileage claims in every year.

I don't worry in least about the cost of energy, well knowing that my 2 sets of Solar panels ( I was an early adopter) more that cover all my fuel bills and that is index linked for another 9 years, by which time...............................I must admit that we could ill afford the panels at the time,( £15K a set) but it just seemed like such a good deal for the future. And so it has proved.

My cars were never 'company cars'....but my account put in my mileage claims in every year.

I don't worry in least about the cost of energy, well knowing that my 2 sets of Solar panels ( I was an early adopter) more that cover all my fuel bills and that is index linked for another 9 years, by which time...............................I must admit that we could ill afford the panels at the time,( £15K a set) but it just seemed like such a good deal for the future. And so it has proved.

My PV system cost around £14k in Jan 2010 (I'm FiT #16) and the rolling FiT payment for the last year was £1987 which greatly exceeds my combined gas and electricity bills.

And another 9 years to go ...

The Zappi charger looks great, my ROLEC is a very basic unit and we have had it installed since 2018 when we had the previous Mercedes to his one, with was also a hybrid.

I didn't realise the Zappi had an app either, the Mercedes has an app to show charging, pre-heating and loads more, but this is something lacking on the MG unfortunately.

I am following the development of the OVMS App, hopefully won't be too long before more features are added and I can but the device for my MG.

Andy (Blackpool)
Hi Andy I am sorry I must have misread your post last night because I thought you had written you where using a Zappi charger that’s why I posted the screen shots of the Zappi and what you can do within its apps so very sorry about that but may help some I hope, just one more point I emailed outfox a few weeks ago and asked do they do any tariffs like economy 7 or Octopus Go for EV owners I explained I had ordered an EV car and there would be an increase in my electric consumption shortly, they answered me with No they don’t do a tariff like that but the do have a high usage tariff and to let them know once I have the car how much extra I am using over a couple of months and it might be better tariff than what I’m on now might be of use I hope
all the best for 2021 from Wigan

Ps. the best price I found for the Zappi and the hub was just shy of was ( £900 ) fitted

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom