How things affect range.

There’s so much wrong with that video, I don’t even know where to start.

Ok I’ll start with: the ‘all systems on’ part is a little misleading in real life terms, since once the car is at the desired temperature, even a 3kW ptc heater will not use 3kWh in one hour of use, but more like 1 to 1.5 kWh at most, in seriously cold conditions.
And moreover the ‘fuel economy’ of auxiliary electronics is mostly determined by time not distance.
That’s why in short journeys in winter your figures will be lower: it’s not so much the motor being less efficient (unless you are at serially low temperatures perhaps) but the fact that you are running some high consumption elements constantly for the first 10/15 minutes of your journey, and if your total distance is say 3 miles in 20 minutes because you are stuck in traffic, you are looking at quite high consumption per mile as a result of the HVAC, lights, defroster, etc.
I park in a heated garage at 17.5 C in winter: I get summer-like consumption figures on my weekend trip to the country side from east London: no traffic, good but moderate speeds. Oh and starting with the battery at 50% ensures maximum regen which will also show lower consumption figures.

If you want to know how much each auxiliary element uses in the MG4, you can attach a V2L accessory to the charging port, go to the Discharge page on the infotainment, and the screen will show you the current vehicle consumption, and you can get all the figures you need from there.

Last edited:
In a nutshell don't attach anything to the outside of the car and passengers don't make a great deal of difference at a constant speed.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom