How to disable the alarm?

Hikispray

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hello, does anybody know how to disable the alarm om the MG5? In a few days I will be traveling with ferry and they want the alarms to be disabled during the journey. I have tried to read in the manual but as far as I can see it's not stated how to disable.

It have not been a issue before, but because I mounted extra full lights (led bar) and a extra reversing light it has gotten very sensitive. The relay talks to the car with a OBD2 bluetooth dongle. I could remove it for the journey but if I could disable/enable the alarm it would be nicer.

Thanks for any input.

There is no quick way to disable the alarm, but leaving an OBD dongle connected and lock the car is a sure way to trigger it.

Best to remove it or get your hands on an OBD extension cable with an off/on switch, as suggested below (post #19)

The request to disable alarms is normally associated with spurious activation of movement sensors but the MG5 doesn't have any of these so it shouldn't make any difference if the alarm is active.

MG alarm system is triggered by opening the doors / boot / bonnet etc when the system is alarmed.
So there is NO motion sensors included in the system, therefore it will be fine for use on the ferry !.
Lock it and leave it 🤣.
Well the weird thing is that it got triggered when I checked the windshield wipers to see that they were not frozen to the window. I lifted them up a little and let them "smack" the window, that's when the alarm went off. The second time was when I closed the trunk/boot door and it didn't close properly. So the second I can understand but the first one is strange to me.

So why does leaving the OBD2 dongle turned on trigger it, I wonder?
Because it sees it as an intrusion into the cars systems, presumably implemented because some cars have been stolen by hacking them via the OBD2.

Having something connected to the OBD2 itself won't set off the alarm but as soon as it starts trying to communicate with the car then the alarm will go off.

We were never able to find a way to poke at the BMS/VCU to get SOC data when charging without setting the alarm off (I was testing OVMS)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom