How to feed wires through from cab to 12v battery for 12 amp supply for ham radio?without boring holes?

Brian

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi I wish to get a 12 amp feed direct from the 12 volt battery into the cab to run a ham radio transceiver. How do I get through the engine compartment without boring holes as its a leased car. Any thoughts. Brian MM0GLX

Find where the existing wiring loom goes through the bulkhead and use the same penetration.

Upvote 0
Hi I wish to get a 12 amp feed direct from the 12 volt battery into the cab to run a ham radio transceiver. How do I get through the engine compartment without boring holes as its a leased car. Any thoughts. Brian MM0GLX
There will be a nice big grommet where the loom goes through the bulkhead so I would suggest using that.
Just as a point to note and apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, a fused connection to the battery +ve is fine but make sure to connect the negative lead directly to the body/chassis/frame near the battery with no fuse rather than directly to the battery.

Upvote 0
Why not connect direct to the battery??
To be fair it’s rather a throwback to ICE vehicles. If the negative lead of the radio is connected to the battery then, should the engine earth strap fail (not unheard of) then all of the starting current can find its way back to the battery through the radio chassis.
Hot hot hot!

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom