How to get a replacement back up mechanical key blade?

BarryJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have just checked my two key fobs, only one of them has the back up mechanical key blade. How do I obtain a replacement, the service department at our dealer had no idea how to get one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Try contacting MG

Upvote 0
I seem to remember reading that only one of the two keys supplied has the mechanical key blade.
Edit: Ignore that. Just checked where I might've read it and both should have it and it says to contact dealer for replacements.

Upvote 0
I have just checked my two key fobs, only one of them has the back up mechanical key blade. How do I obtain a replacement, the service department at our dealer had no idea how to get one. Any ideas? Thanks.
Feedback from local dealer-
"I had our parts dept look at the blade and he tells me that it looks like it comes as a remote control unit
Rather than just the blade separately , cost of this is ÂŁ96.47 then it would need cutting to copy
Which we normally use a key cutting shop which normally charge ÂŁ12.00 to cut to pattern.
If you want the new remote to work as an extra then this would be ÂŁ54.00 to program
Sorry not cheap."

Upvote 0
"I had our parts dept look at the blade and he tells me that it looks like it comes as a remote control unit
Rather than just the blade separately , cost of this is ÂŁ96.47 then it would need cutting to copy
Which we normally use a key cutting shop which normally charge ÂŁ12.00 to cut to pattern.
If you want the new remote to work as an extra then this would be ÂŁ54.00 to program
Sorry not cheap."
surely if it wasn't supplied with the car, the Dealer is at fault for missing that on the PDI? They should cover the cost of replacing or obtaining a new one?

Upvote 0
It isn't clear from the initial post whether the blade was missing at delivery (unlikely) or had broken off at some point (more likely). I know with my own keys that the blade has a tendency to open whilst in the pocket.

Upvote 0
It isn't clear from the initial post whether the blade was missing at delivery (unlikely) or had broken off at some point (more likely). I know with my own keys that the blade has a tendency to open whilst in the pocket.
Or maybe he just wants a spare ?
I also noticed SWMBO's MG5 key blade seems to pop open in my pocket.
The OP was asking about a ZS one which doesn't open as it's a separate little key that is inside the fob and requires the fob to be pulled apart at the top to get it out.

Upvote 0
Sorry not cheap."
To make it clear, both keys had blades when I purchased the car last December. I have lost one of the blades since then, but discovered the loss when I was prepping the car for the 1st service.
Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0
I'd go for a cut key from the local key cutter, maybe one with a small head that you can put on your key ring alongside the fob with it missing.

Upvote 0
The OP was asking about a ZS one which doesn't open as it's a separate little key that is inside the fob and requires the fob to be pulled apart at the top to get it out.
Didn't realise there was a different design between ZSEV & MG5.
I prefer the ZSEV solution.

Upvote 0
Hi All
First a merry Christmas to you all.
I bought a smart key cover for my smart key, with this fitted there is no way an accidental opening and losing the small key inside. also it looks smart. They come in a range of colours i.e. red, blue, grey etc etc even carbon. Go to Aliexpress, (a bit like Ebay), type in MG ZS EV and there you can choose lots of goodies. It may take some time for them to come, it all depends on who you order from.
1.JPG

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    314.3 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom