How to install rear cabin lights in to the MG ZS EV - DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK :-)

This is excellent- well done. A couple of questions ....

1) Please could you advise EXACTLY what you ordered from Aliexpress to ensure I get the same.

2) There’s a switch on the light, does this allow the light to be turned on when it’s normally off? Wouldn't that require 3 wires connecting.

Thanks - Rob

Good work. How about this ( see picture) for a quick fix? Cost £4.99@Lidl. There is even a spare for charging port section.

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_133119.jpg
    IMG_20210216_133119.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 329
This is excellent- well done. A couple of questions ....

1) Please could you advise EXACTLY what you ordered from Aliexpress to ensure I get the same.

2) There’s a switch on the light, does this allow the light to be turned on when it’s normally off? Wouldn't that require 3 wires connecting.

Thanks - Rob
Hi Rob,
I ordered these lights off AliExpress https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40001...er_id=a1089c018a2b408f8cdfb6c906a4f39b&is_c=Y but I didn’t end up using the yellow/grey wire with black connector as it was stopping the light fitting in to the recess so I connected the bare wires to light fitting metal +/- terminals instead and insulated them. The c5 led bulbs were a bit tricky to install as the light fitting lens cover is sealed so you may want to order same light fitting but with a more open back to fitting (browse AliExpress). I bought some c5 led bulbs off ebay 2 x 31MM Festoon SMD Canbus LED Lights - Number Plate Bulbs 239 30mm 32mm C5W 7426871679351 | eBay
The lights turn on when opening back/front doors or from the front light cluster switches. They do not allow rear passenger to switch them on.

Nice where did you source the new lights from?
I ordered these lights off AliExpress https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40001...er_id=a1089c018a2b408f8cdfb6c906a4f39b&is_c=Y but I didn’t end up using the yellow/grey wire with black connector as it was stopping the light fitting in to the recess so I connected the bare wires to light fitting metal +/- terminals instead and insulated them. The c5 led bulbs were a bit tricky to install as the light fitting lens cover is sealed so you may want to order same light fitting but with a more open back to fitting (browse AliExpress). I bought some c5 led bulbs off ebay 2 x 31MM Festoon SMD Canbus LED Lights - Number Plate Bulbs 239 30mm 32mm C5W 7426871679351 | eBay
The lights turn on when opening back/front doors or from the front light cluster switches. They do not allow rear passenger to switch them on.

Hi Rob,
Lovely, thanks 👍

Nice where did you source the new lights from?
The lights turn on when opening back/front doors or from the front light cluster switches.

Guessing your car is a taxi or something similar? Looks like an interesting setup, do you have any more photos of the car and your mods inside/out?
Hi Matvstheworld. The install I performed as per my user installation manual was relatively straightforward and I do mention the air bags as matter of info only so anyone looking to do this retrospective install are aware of their location. I have to be honest my install and the cutting of the head liner was well away from the air bags that are inset so they really are not too much of a concern. I'm not a taxi and I simply wanted rear lights for my 6 year old son when we are putting his rear seat belt around child seat plus it gives the car the additional attention to detail that should have been installed from the factory.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom