How to "re-tax" my ZS

ARealHuman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Well, my ZS is coming up to a year old now. How does the vehicle tax work with an EV? Will I get a postal reminder as per ICE vehicles and have to go through the motions of re-taxing my car for £0, or do I do nothing as it's exempt? The online checker shows my vehicle tax actually runs out soon, which hints that I need to do something to change that.

Many thanks :)

Same here. It seems wasted resource from DVLA but as Cocijo says it allows them to check car is insured etc. Form should come in the post when renewal is due.

Well, my ZS is coming up to a year old now. How does the vehicle tax work with an EV? Will I get a postal reminder as per ICE vehicles and have to go through the motions of re-taxing my car for £0, or do I do nothing as it's exempt? The online checker shows my vehicle tax actually runs out soon, which hints that I need to do something to change that.

Many thanks :)
Yeah - you'll get a letter and just go online and tax it for a year with 'zero' cost!

Feels great when you do it! :cool: :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Bloggsy

It is taxed the same way as ICE cars, the fee at present is £0.00. However the fee could increase in the future.

You usually get the reminder 3-4 weeks in advance, but the DVLA are tits up ATM.
If you don't get the reminder, you can still do it online with details off your V5.

Yeah - you'll get a letter and just go online and tax it for a year with 'zero' cost!

Feels great when you do it! :cool: :ROFLMAO:

Cheers

Bloggsy
EV Road Tax  2021-08-06 at 19.47.46.png

My parents fell foul of this a few weeks ago. They bought a 2nd hand Citroën C1, which doesn't pay tax. But they had no idea they still had to go online and "tax" it for the year until they got a letter from the DVLA 🤦‍♂️

My parents fell foul of this a few weeks ago. They bought a 2nd hand Citroën C1, which doesn't pay tax. But they had no idea they still had to go online and "tax" it for the year until they got a letter from the DVLA 🤦‍♂️
I didn't know at first when I got my first VED free car back in 2010, a Prius. If I hadn't got a reminder from the DVLA, I would have fallen foul.

Thanks all for the replies. I should've waited another day - reminder arrived in the post this morning and have re-taxed it at zero cost a moment ago. Nice to see £0.00 for a change, if only the insurance cost the same! ;)

Thanks all for the replies. I should've waited another day - reminder arrived in the post this morning and have re-taxed it at zero cost a moment ago. Nice to see £0.00 for a change, if only the insurance cost the same! ;)
As Kryten on 'Red Dwarf' would say, "activating smug mode"! Now you can strut around the house! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::cool:😜

It is taxed the same way as ICE cars, the fee at present is £0.00. However the fee could increase in the future.
My wife had the Toyota Auris Hybrid, it was always zero and she had to reapply every year, when the new model came out the tax had to be paid on it but the older cars were still exempt, so I'm hoping it will be the same only the newer models will attract tax if it is increased🤞🤞

My wife had the Toyota Auris Hybrid, it was always zero and she had to reapply every year, when the new model came out the tax had to be paid on it but the older cars were still exempt, so I'm hoping it will be the same only the newer models will attract tax if it is increased🤞🤞
Same when I bought my 2016 Prius, £0 VED, the following year the VED rates changed and 2017 on cars had to pay £130 a year. Smug mode even at other later year Prius drivers. :sneaky:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom