How to tell if your charger is 7 or 22 KW rated?

stevenc152

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hey,

I have 2 car chargers, 1 from the garage and one from someone else, both each time i plug them in charges at 7kw on any charger, im guessing they are limited to that, is there any way to check to see what the limits are on them. Theres some cable with numbers etc on it but dont know what the difference of them are and if i should get 22kw charger since 7kw is dreadfully slow.

22kW EVSE's are three phase and 7kW single. I think the MG is only single phase so will only charge at 7kW no matter what type2 you connect it to.

[ Edited: units. ]

Last edited by a moderator:
The car will only charge at 7Kw on AC (type2 plug) regardless of what the charger can provide, unless you have a 3 phase on board charger which UK vehicles don’t have.

The car will only charge at 7Kw on AC (type2 plug) regardless of what the charger can provide, unless you have a 3 phase on board charger which UK vehicles don’t have.
why do all the chargers say 22kw? Not on about home chargers 7kw is fine but the chargers out and about have 22kw so need to know what we need to use that, 3x faster charger than 7kw feel bad hogging the charger down works way for all day to charge 50kw

I think the Zoe can do three phase 22kW charging but not much else.

Last edited by a moderator:
why do all the chargers say 22kw? Not on about home chargers 7kw is fine but the chargers out and about have 22kw so need to know what we need to use that, 3x faster charger than 7kw feel bad hogging the charger down works way for all day to charge 50kw
As stated above the MG and virtually all UK EVs can only charge at 7kW on AC, there is nothing you need.

Split your free? charging sessions up over the week?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom