How to turn OFF the lights while AC and power is on????

lucchase

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
How do you go wath a film at the drive-in cinema or just sit quietly in the car at night with the headlights completely OFF? Dashboard lights off too.
There must be a way to do this, surely.

This has been discussed in one or two threads now, notably with reference to sleeping in the car with the heating/aircon on, and as far as I know nobody has come up with a solution. A good few months ago a member joined asking specifically about this issue - apparently Teslas have a "camp mode" that allows this - but while we found ways round everything else we couldn't crack that one.

More recently a member reported actually sleeping in his car during a trip to the Highlands of Scotland, and confirmed that the heating/aircon stays on even without someone sitting in the driver's seat, but he had to put some sort of magnetically-attaching cover over the lights. When the wind blew that off he switched the car off and let the windows steam up.

I seriously wonder if there is a market for an aftermarket bushel to cover these lights with, that won't slide or blow off. Drive-in cinemas, just parking up to sit and wait for a while (in particular, aurora-watching), sleeping in the car - why is there no way to turn the lights off? Surely a simple matter to have the car set to turn them on if it's actually moving!

There's also an issue with the lights (rear lights as well) coming on when the pre-heating function is enabled. Some people find it useful in that the car lights are showing for them to walk out to the warmed car, but others worry that the car sitting motionless with lights blazing for ten or even twenty minutes at six in the morning is likely to annoy the neighbours.

So I don't know, but a solution would be welcome all round.

The eZS app (Android only) has a way of turning off the Daylight Running Lights. It's a bit of fussing about, but for camping, outdoor movies and the like, it would be worth the effort. It's possible that this function would work on other models, or (with time) be modified to suit.

Headlights can be turned off from the knob, right? For the screens, the only thing I can think of is turning the brightness all the way down.
Yes but the DLR's stay on.

MG need to add a dog/pet mode like all the other newer EV brands (Tesla / BYD etc...)

The eZS app (Android only) has a way of turning off the Daylight Running Lights. It's a bit of fussing about, but for camping, outdoor movies and the like, it would be worth the effort. It's possible that this function would work on other models, or (with time) be modified to suit.
Will try this over the weekend.
My MG ZS is an import into Barbados from UK, so we'll see if that app can actually connect properly. So far, I've never been able to bind the car to the official app. But have managed to get a full, very stable wireless wifi+bluetooth data connection between an Android phone and the car via a USB transmitter.

Will try this over the weekend.
My MG ZS is an import into Barbados from UK, so we'll see if that app can actually connect properly. So far, I've never been able to bind the car to the official app. But have managed to get a full, very stable wireless wifi+bluetooth data connection between an Android phone and the car via a USB transmitter.
I notice in your profile you are driving an MG ZS. You might be better posting your question in the ZS forum instead of the MG4 one.

I notice in your profile you are driving an MG ZS. You might be better posting your question in the ZS forum instead of the MG4 one.
Gosh, I didn't realise I was in the wrong group. Sorry about that.

I think if you use a OBD2 dongle you can switch the daytime running lights off. Though once you turn off the car and switch it back on, they will be on again.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom