How to use DAB radio

Billym44

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Can someone help.please? I've tried using the wonderful DAB+ box that's in the glove box. Plugged the cable into the USB port, but them not sure how to get DAB stations. Can anyone give me an idiots guide please?
Many thanks

Can someone help.please? I've tried using the wonderful DAB+ box that's in the glove box. Plugged the cable into the USB port, but them not sure how to get DAB stations. Can anyone give me an idiots guide please?
Many thanks
Hi is this the fix for the DAB that's was in your window by any chance .

They contacted a number of people stating there was a fix for this but there isn't all they have done is remove the 2 USB ports and used a radio booster and shoved it behind the glove box and then all you have is one USB port instead of two

So many people are disgusted with this fix ..

MG removed the windscreen aerial and had my car for 4 hours to add the chip etc. Now it doesnt work and my complete display keeps crashing and all i get is a blank blue screen. Pity i cant do Ctrl+Alt+Del
!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is supposed to be the permanent solution from MG. Not a lot of thought gone into this one. No surprise there then

I have the same problem my hs went in for the update about 6 weeks ago at a mg dealership in Maidstone kent but after 2 visits they could not do the update blamed it on a manufacturing fault with the antenna plug and said they would get back to me .NEVER DID..so on the advice of mg after sales gary smart I took the car to another mg dealership in Ashford kent they had the car all day and said the same thing can't be done because of a manufacturing fault with the antena plug that comes from a wire ring loom then to the rear window antenna..so now I have no dab whatsoever I looks like its going to need a new loom just for the sake of a new antenna plug ...if anyone knows where the updated box if fitted behind the dash please let me know hopefully I can plug in a temporary windscreen antenna till mg get the loom replaced ..good luck to everyone..ps I will never buy another mg we have had 3 sofar 2 zs .1 hs all have been problem cars

I have the same problem my hs went in for the update about 6 weeks ago at a mg dealership in Maidstone kent but after 2 visits they could not do the update blamed it on a manufacturing fault with the antenna plug and said they would get back to me .NEVER DID..so on the advice of mg after sales gary smart I took the car to another mg dealership in Ashford kent they had the car all day and said the same thing can't be done because of a manufacturing fault with the antena plug that comes from a wire ring loom then to the rear window antenna..so now I have no dab whatsoever I looks like its going to need a new loom just for the sake of a new antenna plug ...if anyone knows where the updated box if fitted behind the dash please let me know hopefully I can plug in a temporary windscreen antenna till mg get the loom replaced ..good luck to everyone..ps I will never buy another mg we have had 3 sofar 2 zs .1 hs all have been problem cars
Hi Paul, hope you don't mind my asking......did Caffyns Ashford manage to get this Loom thing sorted and do you now have an acceptable working DAB radio?
Our 2023 HS PHEV is booked in to Ashford to have this 'update' in 2 weeks and I'm wondering whether its worth it?
We currently have the window fixed antenna/glove box mishmash that continually loses signal as likewise does the info screen, turning a lovely shade of black!
We bought an AAWireless adaptor some months ago which is plugged into one of the USB ports but this also crashes losing Waze just when you need it most!
I'd be grateful to receive your thoughts.

Hi Paul, hope you don't mind my asking......did Caffyns Ashford manage to get this Loom thing sorted and do you now have an acceptable working DAB radio?
Our 2023 HS PHEV is booked in to Ashford to have this 'update' in 2 weeks and I'm wondering whether its worth it?
We currently have the window fixed antenna/glove box mishmash that continually loses signal as likewise does the info screen, turning a lovely shade of black!
We bought an AAWireless adaptor some months ago which is plugged into one of the USB ports but this also crashes losing Waze just when you need it most!
I'd be grateful to receive your thoughts.

Hi not the Paul you wanted but I can shed some light on it. In a nutshell the fix will remove one of your usb ports at the front of the car and they wire a similar box that is in your glovebox behind the dash. You will still be missing the ability to save favourites etc. In other words its a terrible cheap fix that does nothing for the user experience but as far as UK law goes fulfills what is required.

You AA Wireless box if you have an genuine AA Wireless box contact there support they are excellent and had me up and running in 24hrs I too had similar issues to yourself. Since I have tweaked the settings I have had no issues at all. If I can find the email with the steps on I will post it here for you.

Regards

Paul

AA Wireless fix

Make sure that there is no battery optimisation set on your device

You can try the following solutions if the battery setting does not help:
Please make sure that you are on firmware version 2.0.0 or higher, after that please open "Device settings" and press "Wi-Fi settings" and try different the Wi-Fi channels.
Please wipe the Bluetooth connection from the phone's side and try reconnecting to AAWireless.
Please enable Passthrough from the companion app.
Please check using different USB-C cables. Sometimes the cable causes the connection issues.
Is your phone overheating?
Make sure Google Play Service and Android Auto, Google Maps, Waze and Google app have all the permissions enabled.
Please set the USB mode to MTP mode and enable Passthrough if needed.
Please clear the cache and storage of AA & Google Play Service and reboot the phone after that.
If possible, please check with another phone.

I had to do all of it to get it to work. It may still be worth contacting them if this does not fix itit as each phone combo might be different.

Good luck

Paul

Hi Paul, really appreciate this. I'll have the dealership install the new DAB 'fix' then go through the AA Wireless steps you kindly provided. Cheers

Good luck with the "fix" I have refused to let them do mine as I use both USB ports and you still have very poor DAB and no RDS or TA functions on the radio. Good luck with your wireless adapter mine has been great since I did the above.

Hi Paul and others who gave input re DAB update. I had the new chip installed 2 weeks ago at Caffyns Ashford, Kent. Took about 90 minutes and yes you lose one of the usb ports, but as there are others closeby I don't see this as a problem.
We've covered around 400 miles with the new set-up and I have to say its working fine for us.
We use AA Wireless adaptor (think its about £75 on amazon) for all our apps, Waze, Spotify, Google etc and this is working seamlessly. Also, the door thing closes fully with the adaptor and its wires now out of sight.
I've also used the cars own Sat Nav which does still have a slight lag, but works well enough albeit its not actually 'active' with traffic updates.
The DAB radio now sounds better than before but the quality of the speakers does still compromise the sound.
As well as the new chip, the garage also did an FCIM (I may not have these letters in the correct order!) update. The previous infotainment screen used to continually crash, whereas the new one hasn't crashed at all.
The MG HS PHEV (Exclusive) sure ain't the greatest car in the world and still has plenty of niggles but at least its now enjoyable to drive.

Hi is this the fix for the DAB that's was in your window by any chance .

They contacted a number of people stating there was a fix for this but there isn't all they have done is remove the 2 USB ports and used a radio booster and shoved it behind the glove box and then all you have is one USB port instead of two

So many people are disgusted with this fix ..
Yup we picked up our MG from the garage yesterday. They promised us that it would be fixed. Same cheap fix here, antenna is gone, also 1 USB port is missing. Eventually having the same problems as before. So no fix at all! What chocked me the most is that the garage wanted me to sign a form that i was accepting this solution what i did not do to be clear!!

Yup we picked up our MG from the garage yesterday. They promised us that it would be fixed. Same cheap fix here, antenna is gone, also 1 USB port is missing. Eventually having the same problems as before. So no fix at all! What chocked me the most is that the garage wanted me to sign a form that i was accepting this solution what i did not do to be clear!!
They wanted you to sign a form accepting the fix :) unbelievable! Mine is going in for a service soon and if they remove my second USB I will do them for criminal damage :) I will leave a note saying that I have rejected the fix (as it isn't) and not to butcher my car. I was told if I rejected the fix I would void my warranty. Warranty for what the radio not working? I would like to see them make that stick.
What a sad situation we find ourselves in here so much upset and many frustrated people over a stupid radio. MG need to man up and dip into their vast profits and put right what they promised to do at the time of purchase, which in my case was done on the promise this would be fixed correctly not the cheap ass bodge they are trying to roll out. It's just a shame this fix didn't come to light until many months of ownership had passed otherwise I would have certainly rejected the car as not sold as advertised or complying with UK specifications. This whole debacle has left a bitter taste and I for one will never purchase another MG if this is the way they treat their customers.

Agree 100%. This will be my first and last MG... I'm from Belgium and contacted several MG sellers today. They al confirmed that they are not happy with any solution MG is providing but also letting me know that there is not much more to do on there side. They all gave me the advice to speak to the importer of MG (for Belgium: Astara western europe) and put the pressure there. Not sure if it will do any good or if we are just waisting time... Other option in my situation is to sit this one out for the next few years as the car will be replaced in 4 years. The better solution in my opinion would be to not go to the importer by myself but with a whole community of disappointed or angry MG owners.

But long story short, they already lost one future customer.

Agree 100%. This will be my first and last MG... I'm from Belgium and contacted several MG sellers today. They al confirmed that they are not happy with any solution MG is providing but also letting me know that there is not much more to do on there side. They all gave me the advice to speak to the importer of MG (for Belgium: Astara western europe) and put the pressure there. Not sure if it will do any good or if we are just waisting time... Other option in my situation is to sit this one out for the next few years as the car will be replaced in 4 years. The better solution in my opinion would be to not go to the importer by myself but with a whole community of disappointed or angry MG owners.

But long story short, they already lost one future customer.
It would be good if we could get a group together, but they are really not bothered. Fortunately we have Android Auto\Carplay otherwise it would have to go. I have mine on a 4 year deal I am a year in so 3 to go, no point in trying to shift on just yet as the depreciation is horrendous but that's the same for most manufacturers no just MG. But yes no more MGs for me they have burnt their bridges, by the time I come to change there will be plenty of other options at competitive prices (I hope) so will have a far better choice.

I think that MG have scored a massive "Own goal" with the brand name on this one. The thing that I find amazing from such a large company is that they absolutely do not seem to care about the lack of customer service and negative impact this is having all around Europe. Same for me also, I will not even consider another MG when it comes to changing, no matter how good the vehicle looks.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 allows for consequential losses for consumers to be reimbursed as a result of a breach.

I am seeking a goodwill gesture for the Sum of £1500.00 to close my complaint.

If you are unwilling or unable to accede to this, please provide me with a final response so I can escalate this without further recourse to you.

1000004068.png
1000004068.png

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom