Hs PHEV insurance premiums

Delboy102000

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
As a member who has decided to switch from full ZS ev trophy LR to the HS PHEV,
And seeing both vehicles are in the same insurance group, and as a 72 year old advanced motorist, I am quite shocked at the difference in insurance premiums.

I know this is different for everyone but my situation is that I recently renewed my Zs premium for £293 which I felt was reasonable. Based on similar terms of use drivers etc, the best quote I can get for the HS is £463 which I consider to be an outrageous uplift. Do other members have any similar or better comments re this. Most interested to know.
Thanks

I just my renewal today and my as gone £561 to £987 that’s a £406 increase, I made no clam on it. I do pay monthly so that’s going to be £40 each month. I do live on the outskirts of London and use the car for going to work.

I just my renewal today and my as gone £561 to £987 that’s a £406 increase, I made no clam on it. I do pay monthly so that’s going to be £40 each month. I do live on the outskirts of London and use the car for going to work.
Wow, that’s horrendous. You need to shop around. Try Flow, LV’s online brand or Aviva online. Both quoting me as above but only 7090 miles

Funnily enough my recent renewal quote with direct line for my ZS Ev went from £290 to )465 with them. So I moved. I am wondering if some companies don’t like drivers over 70.
You got to take into account that there has been a large increase in car insurance I think from the tv news also new business discount had been banned and that the quote they give should be the same if you where new business or a existing customer.

And seeing both vehicles are in the same insurance group, and as a 72 year old advanced motorist, I am quite shocked at the difference in insurance premiums.

I know this is different for everyone but my situation is that I recently renewed my Zs premium for £293 which I felt was reasonable. Based on similar terms of use drivers etc, the best quote I can get for the HS is £463 which I consider to be an outrageous uplift. Do other members have any similar or better comments re this. Most interested to know.
Thanks
I just phoned my insurance company which is what my boss does and my renewal has now gone down by £250, always worth speaking with them.

Thanks
Hi Delboy
I’m in your age group, drive the same car and live in a similar area but on the Kent coast.
I renewed my insurance with AVIVA in February this year at £428.12, last year same cover, same insurance company £357.12.

My cover both years includes
motor legal services
protected no claim discount
roadside and recovery

I was told the premiums have gone up/are so high because of having to cover the possibility of being in an accident with a non insured driver!
I heard on my working DAB radio👍 that it was considered that 25% of vehicles on the road were either without a current MOT where needed, vehicle tax, and or vehicle insurance. Any of these would invalidate the other drivers insurance company entertaining a claim.

Todays world.

Hi Delboy
I’m in your age group, drive the same car and live in a similar area but on the Kent coast.
I renewed my insurance with AVIVA in February this year at £428.12, last year same cover, same insurance company £357.12.

My cover both years includes
motor legal services
protected no claim discount
roadside and recovery

I was told the premiums have gone up/are so high because of having to cover the possibility of being in an accident with a non insured driver!
I heard on my working DAB radio👍 that it was considered that 25% of vehicles on the road were either without a current MOT where needed, vehicle tax, and or vehicle insurance. Any of these would invalidate the other drivers insurance company entertaining a claim.

Todays world.
Why dont the ANP cameras get them stopped and then have the vehicle crushed with all the contents rather than fine them (pathetic fines anyway) and let them recover it to drive again, it would get a lot of vehicle's off the road.

Hi @Delboy102000 I would be very interested to hear why you deceived to move from a full long range BEV to a PHEV 👍 ?.
Hi, long time since we spoke.
My reasoning is based on a number of factors so is not a simple answer.

Do I like my Trophy? Yes very much so nothing wrong with the car.
I suppose it’s partly based on range anxiety prejudice combined with exorbitant fast charging fees away from home.
The bulk of our journeys can be covered by the 32 mile pure electric range, without the need to plan longer journeys, which has made us keep another car for this purpose as back up.
Also at nearly 73 years old I feel that the warranty will run out on the battery just at the point where I will not wish to buy another vehicle and I remain concerned, maybe wrongly that the capital value will fall off a cliff between the 5 and 7 year point.
I could be wrong on all of this but my gut instinct is telling me what to do. What’s your take on it?

Hi, long time since we spoke.
My reasoning is based on a number of factors so is not a simple answer.

Do I like my Trophy? Yes very much so nothing wrong with the car.
I suppose it’s partly based on range anxiety prejudice combined with exorbitant fast charging fees away from home.
The bulk of our journeys can be covered by the 32 mile pure electric range, without the need to plan longer journeys, which has made us keep another car for this purpose as back up.
Also at nearly 73 years old I feel that the warranty will run out on the battery just at the point where I will not wish to buy another vehicle and I remain concerned, maybe wrongly that the capital value will fall off a cliff between the 5 and 7 year point.
I could be wrong on all of this but my gut instinct is telling me what to do. What’s your take on it?
So, just to clarify you have a ZS EV LR and the HS PHEV now ?.
If so, how many miles a year are you covering in each car ?.

So, just to clarify you have a ZS EV LR and the HS PHEV now ?.
If so, how many miles a year are you covering in each car ?.
No I am about to exchange my LR Trophy for the Phev.

After which I will have the confidence to dispose of my SsAngyong Korando 2.2 ultimate.

After which I will have the confidence to dispose of my SsAngyong Korando 2.2 ultimate.
We owned a VW Golf GTE PHEV for four year, before we decided to go full BEV with the MG ZS EV in 2019.
VW only offered the e.Golf at the time and although it was a loverly drive, the range was too small for our needs really.
Here is my 2 pennies worth on how I found the PHEV.
I really did enjoy my time with the PHEV to be fair, we covered just under 30,000 miles in that time.
It was powered by a non standard 1.4 TSI engine and a silky smooth 6 speed DSG gearbox.
The way the engine gearbox and hybrid system combined was a brilliant piece of engineering.
You will at first, find it strange when you hear the engine suddenly jumps in, after having a pretty much silent full EV.
I did find the servicing costs can get a bit spiteful as time passes by though.
It was very economical to run after owning many many petrol cars over the years.
But it comes as no surprise, the EV's running costs are much lower than the PHEV.
We only charge from home and are therefore a little more in control of the running costs.
This can be witnessed by the mileage we are able to affordably cover.
Two years ownership of the first Gen 1 ZS EV and we covered 20,000 miles and now another 12,000 miles in 15 months of owning the Gen 2 ZS EV LR face lift model.
There is no way we would be covering this many miles in ICE car, purely of a cost basis.
With the PHEV you have to remember that at service time, you are servicing two masters.
It's a hybrid mixture of part electric / part ICE.
So, you have to satisfy both the ICE and then any EV service requirements.
The HS is larger car of course, offering more space which will be nice.
It is very important to take every opportunity to use that limited EV range on short journeys of course, it can be a bit of a challenge preventing that ICE from kicking in on the HS if you are not careful with your right foot.
Use of the HVAC to heat the cabin etc is very likely to engage the engine, which is a very odd / strange set up TBH.
It is not like this on the VW as it has a split heater core system, part electric part coolant supplied from the ICE.
Your wall box, it will be only pulling 3.5 K.Watts and therefore this increases the time factor by 50%.
But the pack in PHEV is small, so this of little concern really.
Are you on a cheaper off peak tariff ?.
Is the HS PHEV equipped with a delay timer facility like the ZS EV facelift ?.
Will it fully charge the small battery at the slower rate in that off peak window / time scale.
The pack is small, so I can't see this being a problem.
When you feel comfortable to sell on your second car, the savings from this should more than cover the extra expense of running the PHEV over the BEV.
How many miles are you covering in a year ?.

MG HS PHEV is a great car; more luxurious than the ZS and more comfortable. Proving you can charge it every night on cheep leccy, it will do you well in summer, but will cost more in winter due to the silly engine/heat arrangements.

We went to Isle of Wight couple of weeks ago. Didn’t take the eV because of the lack of charge points on the island.
We owned a VW Golf GTE PHEV for four year, before we decided to go full BEV with the MG ZS EV in 2019.
VW only offered the e.Golf at the time and although it was a loverly drive, the range was too small for our needs really.
I really did enjoy my time with the PHEV to be fair, we covered just under 30,000 miles in that time.
It was powered by a non standard 1.4 TSI engine and a silky smooth 6 speed DSG gearbox.
The way the engine gearbox and hybrid system combined was a brilliant piece of engineering.
You will at first, find it strange when you hear the engine suddenly jumps in, after having a pretty much silent full EV.
It was very economical to run after owning many many petrol cars over the years.
But it comes as no surprise, the EV's running costs are much lower than the PHEV.
We only charge from home and are therefore a little more in control of the running costs.
Two years ownership of the first Gen 1 ZS EV and we covered 20,000 miles and now another 12,000 miles in 15 months of owning the Gen 2 ZS EV LR face lift model.
There is no way we would be covering this many miles in ICE car, purely of a cost basis.
With the PHEV you have to remember that at service time, you are servicing two masters.
It is very important to take every opportunity to use that limited EV range on short journeys of course, it can be a bit of a challenge preventing that ICE from kicking in on the HS if you are not careful with your right foot.
Use of the HVAC to heat the cabin etc is very likely to engage the engine, which is a very odd / strange set up TBH.
It is not like this on the VW as it has a split heater core system, part electric part coolant supplied from the ICE.
Your wall box, it will be only pulling 3.5 K.Watts and therefore this increases the time factor by 50%.
Will it fully charge the small battery at the slower rate in that off peak window / time scale.
When you feel comfortable to sell on your second car, the savings from this should more than cover the extra expense of running the PHEV over the BEV.
Thanks for all that. You have put very fully my reasons for changing. Yes I know service costs are much higher. Almost exactly double the amount over five years that I pay for the trophy.
Yes if I were on a timed tariff I can accommodate that with the timer on my pod point and the slower charging is of little concern really.
My Korando is 2020 model and will sell for about £15k even on a trade in. Its annual service costs are very high indeed. 2.2 turbo diesel 4wd.
I also had a Gs which I liked so am fairly comfortable that I will like the Phev. I am not doing the mileage I used to having recently retired and just felt that it would serve me better. I do feel that full Ev cars are going to nosedive in value as the end of battery warranty looms. I could be right or wrong. It’s anybody’s guess.

With the MG HS phev, I have found that just dropping down your heater temp stops the petrol engine cutting in and you can stay in EV mode.I used to have both driver/passenger on 22deg, now I have driver on 20deg and passenger on 18deg and EV mode stays in for the whole drive. This is with outside temp 13deg.
As someone pointed out to me electric heaters use a lot of power on a 12v battery system.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom