Huge cut away holes underneath MG5 front of sills.

Bazarooni

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Has anyone else noticed underneath both front of sills (cills?) on the MG5, there is a huge cut away hole revealing a cavity behind the plastic closing wheel arch panel?
Clearly the plastic closing panel will do virtually nothing to stop water, mud and leaves from filling the exposed cavity because of these cut away areas.
I discovered these holes whilst spraying some Dynax-S50 into the sills through the plastic bungs. I've sprayed the same anti-corrosion wax into the massive void above the cut away, but that won't stop any debris from collecting in there. This is a disaster waiting to happen with corrosion, and has severely dented my faith in MG cars if they are building in this kind of obsolescence. This sort of debris trap was seen 50 years ago, and shouldn't be on today's cars. Photo attached.
I'm not sure how to close up the cut away areas or to fill the cavity with something suitable (expanding foam maybe, but not the building type which can absorb water).
Anyone else found these holes, or is it just mine, and know what to do with stopping water and debris from entering?

Attachments

• MG5cill holes.jpg
    MG5cill holes.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 342
I'm quite worried about this given where I live and the amount of salt used in the winter, although I guess the 7 year warranty gives some comfort.

On a general note though, does additional rust-proofing affect the warranty in any way? Is it something I should be getting the dealer to do prior to delivery?

I wouldn't worry about it TBH, SWMBO's 15 year old Prius's front wings used to fill up in that area when it rained heavy, with no sign of corrosion at all and as long as it can drain out (albeit slowly) it should be ok.

Same on mine. If you are worried get down to B&Q and buy a tube of silicon rubber bathroom sealant and fill the void up.
Don't seal it completely or water won't drain out.

I have just fitted mudguards, which are moulded to fit in there, as one of the mounting screws are in there, they should stop the problem if there is one.
Cool. I've ordered mine with the protection pack, so hopefully that will resolve it :)

Thanks Freddy, although I'm a bit suspicious I'm not looking at the same website as you. All the products are priced in dollars, and they show pictures of a different car, not MG5. Found one printed with MG for $29.95 but then there could be VAT and customs duties on top. Is that the same one, as it's not £13.60?
Any chance of sending a link to the website?

Thanks Freddy, although I'm a bit suspicious I'm not looking at the same website as you. All the products are priced in dollars, and they show pictures of a different car, not MG5. Found one printed with MG for $29.95 but then there could be VAT and customs duties on top. Is that the same one, as it's not £13.60?
Any chance of sending a link to the website?
Roewe Ei5 is what it's called in China.. If you're on the website there is a language and country option with payment option you need to change. I use the app as I buy quite a bit. The price has now gone up to £19.06. I can't get a link from the app. Went on the web for the link.

Last edited:
Many thanks Freddy.
Did you have to drill any holes to fit these?
No. Although the rear ones had three holes I just used two as it would have meant drilling one, and two are fine. Also I have a 90° screwdriver so didn't need to remove wheels.

I just undersealed the MG5 by spraying the underneath and gaps with lanoguard - natural hydrophobic lanolin coating. One year check showed no surface rusts and everything is clean; reapplied today for another year!

Yes, I've done similarly into the sills and outside, but using Dynax - S50 aerosols. That's how I discovered the cut away sections behind the plastic inner wings. A huge amount of debris and water could accumulate in those two sections, and it's very difficult to get to them to clean it out.
Did you notice the cut away sections and sharp edges on the front of the sills?
Just hope the Dynax helps stop rotting on the sharp edges of the sills.

Sort of know what you mean. There’s a hole inside the front wing and can be seen from opening the bonnet. I just sprayed the stuff around there.
I live in Aberdeen - the sea breeze and road grit is inevitable up here. Rust is matter of when and not if….

Yes, I've done similarly into the sills and outside, but using Dynax - S50 aerosols. That's how I discovered the cut away sections behind the plastic inner wings. A huge amount of debris and water could accumulate in those two sections, and it's very difficult to get to them to clean it out.
Did you notice the cut away sections and sharp edges on the front of the sills?
Just hope the Dynax helps stop rotting on the sharp edges of the sills.
Have you thought of using expanding foam to fill the voids? I've not read the entire thread so forgive if it's been suggested/discounted already.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom