HVAC fan problem

Phil Hayward

Established Member
Reaction score
My HVAC shuts down in hot weather with the fan above setting 3, resets with off and on after about 30 seconds. Green Blue bar graph is white.

has anybody had a similar problem?

My HVAC shuts down in hot weather with the fan above setting 3, resets with off and on after about 30 seconds. Green Blue bar graph is white.

has anybody had a similar problem?

Yes - mine only stays on if set to MAX otherwise it cuts out after a few minutes. Turning off and on gets it going again. Have reported to dealer and awaiting reply. Other forums suggets it's s afault with the HVAC resistor. Let us know how you get on.

Yes - mine only stays on if set to MAX otherwise it cuts out after a few minutes.
Yeah - Sounds very much like the resistor for the blower motor.
Typical symptom can be that the blower motor works just fine on the full power setting, because it is bypassing the resistor altogether.
Putting the resistor in the circuit gives you the ability to slow down the motor to the lower speeds.
On some models if the resistor completely fails, it will leave you with ONLY the max speed fan speed and no other lower settings at all.
Another typical example of blower / fan resistor failure.
I am pretty sure this is where your problem is likely to be found.
Please report back for future help to other owners with cars displaying this issue.

Well, took my ZS to the local dealers today. HVAC Fan stopping and steering clicking. They agreed that there was an issue with the steering and now have to wait for information from technical as to what to do. They said they could not find a problem with the HVAC, which I was astounded by as it only takes a minute or so for the fan to stop after turning it down from full blast. asked to see the mechanic to show him but they were all busy. Got back to the car and tried the HVAC same as before, less than a minute for it to stop. Pulled the car to the reception door and asked the receptionist to come to the car so I could show her the fault (as all the mechanics were busy). She now agrees that there is an issue and will report back so they can look again when it goes back in. I even sent them links to the steering and HVAC threads on the forum. We'll see what happens when I take it back. Wish it wasn't so hot lol.

Well, took my ZS to the local dealers today. HVAC Fan stopping and steering clicking. They agreed that there was an issue with the steering and now have to wait for information from technical as to what to do. They said they could not find a problem with the HVAC, which I was astounded by as it only takes a minute or so for the fan to stop after turning it down from full blast. asked to see the mechanic to show him but they were all busy. Got back to the car and tried the HVAC same as before, less than a minute for it to stop. Pulled the car to the reception door and asked the receptionist to come to the car so I could show her the fault (as all the mechanics were busy). She now agrees that there is an issue and will report back so they can look again when it goes back in. I even sent them links to the steering and HVAC threads on the forum. We'll see what happens when I take it back. Wish it wasn't so hot lol.
That is poor, to be fair !.
Somebody has quickly turned on the fan blower motor and it worked, so has then kicked it back for a second appointment.
When the car returns for a second time, they will decide if it requires a part to rectify the problem.
This will require a third visit in order to fix the problem.
Shite service !.

I phoned my dealer, they knew what the problem was with the HVAC and ordered a new resistor.
fitted 4 days later. Also cleaned it and updated the BMS.
I made a recording of the fault and put it on a USB stick to play on the entertainment.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom