HVAC Using HyChill in airconditioning

FarmEV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
G'day,

Has anyone had experience using any drop in replacement air conditioning gas?

I have been using HyChill for a few years in various cars and other things & find it great. This ZS EV was R134a but I note that some are 1234y gas which is also a hydrocarbon base gas like HyChill.

The point to replacing R134a is greater efficiency, access to product, better environmental consequences of the gas.

Regards,

FarmEV

Presently in the U.K. we are struggling to find the money to keep ourselves warm ! 🤣.
Keeping cool is the last thing on most people’s minds here the U.K. at the moment 🥶.
You are in summer time now “ Down Under”.

Presently in the U.K. we are struggling to find the money to keep ourselves warm ! 🤣.
Keeping cool is the last thing on most people’s minds here the U.K. at the moment 🥶.
You are in summer time now “ Down Under”.
Yes correct (...and loving it!). However this should also be relevant to the cold people as the battery is cooled by A/C chilling the coolant for the battery.

FarmEV

Are they unique to Australia?
Not as far as I am aware. Worldwide manufacturers appear to be moving to hydrocarbon based A/C gasses. I was surprised that this ZSEV was still R134a. I am sure I saw a specification somewhere stating R1234y which is a hydrocarbon based gas and what I would expect in a modern vehicle.

FarmEV

Purely for warranty reasons I'll stick with the manufacturers recommended gas

Not as far as I am aware. Worldwide manufacturers appear to be moving to hydrocarbon based A/C gasses. I was surprised that this ZSEV was still R134a. I am sure I saw a specification somewhere stating R1234y which is a hydrocarbon based gas and what I would expect in a modern vehicle.

FarmEV
I actually meant was the company you quoted active only in Australia.
MG have already moved to R1234y (have it in my 2021 MG5) but this is something that will be mandated for new vehicles anyway. The bit I'm not sure about is whether you can put R1234y gas in a system designed for R134a. Logic suggests not bearing in mind that the newer gas is flammable whilst the old one isn't. Of course, most owners would not look beyond the significant price difference as a reason not to change from the old gas and indeed that will be the driving force for many owners to consider going in the other direction!

FarmEV
According to the manual the ZS EV uses R1234yf

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom