HVAC

I believe there's a setting on the facelift ZS to have heating on or off in ECO.

I tend not think that is eco mode but as reduced power mode for everything it's there when you really need to eck out a bit of extra mileage and normal is normal that what the was designed to be driven in most of the time?

So we cant use ECO in the winter
I never use ECO mode anyway TBH.
We had a Gen1 for two years and 20,000 miles and used NORMAL mode, for all of that time.
The Gen 2 we have now has covered 7,000 miles and again, always use NORMAL mode.
The default mode does me just fine TBH.
Each to their own, but I don’t really see the benefit of using ECO mode really myself.
I can achieve very similar results in NORMAL mode, when driving carefully.
I like idea of using the same mode all of the time, because I find it easier to get a feel for how far I can push the range, if I had to.
This was more the case on our Gen 1 model.
If we where returning home after a long(ish) trip and the orange low range warning ⚠️ light appeared, as we continued, I would just quickly dip into ECO mode just to see the best case scenario of the remaining range.
Treating this as a reserve tank on a ICE car if you wish.
Then I would switch on the Sat Nav and punch in the saved home button for our address.
This will give me an accurate distance to home, which I can then cross reference with the renaming estimation of our range on the GOM in NORMAL mode and then ECO mode.
If you use ECO mode all of the time and get use to the predicted range, then you could get caught out running low on range, then you could be in trouble.
If I was running low( ish ) on range in NORMAL mode, then I could be pretty sure that I had another 15 - 20 miles left in ECO mode.
Nowhere to hide when you are getting low in ECO mode !.
Everybody has there different methods of driving of course, I just find this works well for us.

Might want to try eco mode if you are stuck in the snow or on very slippery roads

Might want to try eco mode if you are stuck in the snow or on very slippery roads
It may be beneficial on a very light accelerator position but the opposite as you increase the pedal and it suddenly shoots up.
IMO there's no advantage at all to ECO mode, it gives me nothing that I can't achieve with foot control.
See how in ECO mode, power suddenly increases with more pedal on this pedal map.
Pedal map.png

Oooh I love graphs, I would have thought that with the lower power to the drive wheels that it would be easier to pull away without spinning the wheels. So are you saying best to stay in normal control in snow?

And you will probably have to turn off traction control if you can't get started

Oooh I love graphs, I would have thought that with the lower power to the drive wheels that it would be easier to pull away without spinning the wheels. So are you saying best to stay in normal control in snow?
Yes, the power delivery is more predictable and hence easier to learn to control.
You're correct, lower power will make it easier to pull away, but as you press the pedal a little more the non-linear increase could make you loose traction just as you get going. With a little practice, you can deliver less power for pulling away in Normal mode.

Yes, the power delivery is more predictable and hence easier to learn to control.
You're correct, lower power will make it easier to pull away, but as you press the pedal a little more the non-linear increase could make you loose traction just as you get going. With a little practice, you can deliver less power for pulling away in Normal mode.
Went out in the Leaf this morning (MG stayed in the garage) we have lots of snow, and threw it about a bit on different settings (I used to do this when I lived in the highlands of Scotland to ensure my winter driving instincts were fully on). The leaf was much easier to control in eco, I never put the throttle more than half way (in slippery conditions in an automatic its not worth it in any mode, unless pulling out of a skid in front wheel drive). maybe the MG will be different, but from my experience I doubt it.
I can also confirm that cadence breaking in these conditions is still my preference over using the ABS or regen.
It would be great if others could try it out a bit in the current conditions and form a more balanced view?

I’ve just “discovered” Eco mode (still experimenting in my new mark 2), and have found a huge improvement in efficiency. By pre-heating the cabin before getting in the car, the reduced performance of the heating system exhibited by eco, seems to be enough to maintain temperature. In the process of changing driving habits of a lifetime (heavy right foot), and eco is helping with that transition! Flicking to sport for an overtake is easy enough!

I’ve just “discovered” Eco mode (still experimenting in my new mark 2), and have found a huge improvement in efficiency. By pre-heating the cabin before getting in the car, the reduced performance of the heating system exhibited by eco, seems to be enough to maintain temperature. In the process of changing driving habits of a lifetime (heavy right foot), and eco is helping with that transition! Flicking to sport for an overtake is easy enough!
If you are in Eco and you need a rapid boost of power, then just floor the “Go” pedal and the car will over ride the Eco setting and give you max power without having to faff about fiddling about with the mode switch looking for Sports mode.
It’s an automatic over ride as a safety feature.
Try it the next you are on a good open road, select Eco and the slam the “Go” pedal.
It will provide max power as long as you have enough energy stored in the battery of course.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom