Hypervolt power draw of the MG5 Trophy (Facelift)

Sty33vo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a Hypervolt Home charger to do most of my charging and had my MG5 Facelift for about 3 weeks. For some reason the car only pulls about 6.4KW max (30A of the 32A set max).

Wondering if it is a car limitation or if there is some form of fault. Spoken to Hypervolt support (who were really good) and they have ruled out any issue with the charger.

I will be raising with my dealer but interested if anyone else has a Hypervolt and their MG5 Trophy draws full power?

Can anyone else confirm whether they get full 7KW (32A) from AC charging from their MG5 Trophy?

I was under the impression that the onboard charger is max 6.6kw.
I have seen a conversation that suggests the Facelift has an 11kwh on board but I have not had a chance to use a 22wkh charger yet to confirm this myself.

It’s more than a suggestion ;-)

Attachments

• D57F699C-EFC1-412D-AF20-D3DEA4BD8BFB.jpeg
    D57F699C-EFC1-412D-AF20-D3DEA4BD8BFB.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 102
I have seen a conversation that suggests the Facelift has an 11kwh on board but I have not had a chance to use a 22wkh charger yet to confirm this myself.
Might be 3.3/3.6kw x3 though, with it then doing something funky to use 2x3.3 (3.6?) on single phase.

Interesting thoughts.

My car also seems to only pull about 6.4KW at work, which are 3 phase chargers and I use a 22KW cable (that I got to future proof).

I’m typically only charging from around 50% back to 80% so I wonder if the differential isn’t enough for it to ramp up to higher current draw.

Interesting thoughts.

My car also seems to only pull about 6.4KW at work, which are 3 phase chargers and I use a 22KW cable (that I got to future proof).

I’m typically only charging from around 50% back to 80% so I wonder if the differential isn’t enough for it to ramp up to higher current draw.
I have discovered some local 13kwh chargers so I will give them a go over the weekend see what I get :)

Might be 3.3/3.6kw x3 though, with it then doing something funky to use 2x3.3 (3.6?) on single phase.
The 11kW charger is 3 x 16A for 3 phase, but 1 x 32A for single phase. We know that this is the case because the car charges at 32A using a cable which only has L1 connected. The L1 connector on the vehicle therefore must be capable of 32A.

I have discovered some local 13kwh chargers so I will give them a go over the weekend see what I get :)
My car is currently connected to a 22kwh charger and only drawing 6.51kw. To be fair it is a charger with 2 connectors and both are in use so assuming that is affecting the speed.

Is it possible the Type2 cable is restricting the speed is this scenario? I have a MG supplied Type 2.

FWIW, my 5 FL is on charge at the moment via a 7.4kw Ohme Home Pro, charging from 39% start to 80% set point. Ismart also says 6.41kw charging power but as I'm in no rush, I'll live with that.

My car is currently connected to a 22kwh charger and only drawing 6.51kw. To be fair it is a charger with 2 connectors and both are in use so assuming that is affecting the speed.

Is it possible the Type2 cable is restricting the speed is this scenario? I have a MG supplied Type 2.
I have ordered a 3 Phase from Amazon so hopefully that will sort me out.

As I cannot charge at home getting closer to 11kw would cut my charge time down which would be helpful. And more convenient.

It’s still funny that the price is also cheaper for this 11ke than the 5kw lamppost chargers near by.

I thought the only 3 phase cars were the MG4 and that was only the first batch and was a mistake?

MG are refusing to “officially” say anything but the MG5 Trophy charges at 11kW on a 22kW type 2 charger with a 3 phase cable…

Do you think this was another error?
Can you post a picture of your 3 phase type2 connector on the car?

On a 3 phase the L2 and L3 will have the pins populated.
This is a picture on a single phase type 2
DSCN0209.JPG

Ok so that one is definitely not 3 phase :) where is it from?

However even if the pins exist on the connector that’s no guarantee that they are connected on the inside and that they go to a 3 phase capable charger. Nonetheless I’ll take a photo for you when we get home.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom