I’m just LOVING it!!!

jeffgolding

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Hi, this is my first MG and I am totally delighted with it, I have previously bought NEW Merced’s GLC and NEW Range Rover Evoque and in my opinion as a consumer not an engineer the MG is the equal of both of them in terms of build quality, and is superior to them both in terms of ride comfort and driving experience.
Yes , sure it does have a few small foibles , but I read as many forum articles as I could before I purchased and was fully aware of them, I also read every article I could on how to drive a PHEV and adopt what I learned ie, ev mode better suited to urban use, hybrid use on faster roads, I select when to go into EV mode, I let the vehicle think about hybrid mode, I always start journeys with a full battery and aim to end with an empty one.
I have learned how to use all of the systems on board, sometimes by asking questions as the manual is not the best.
I really like the way you have to “drive” the vehicle rather than just push the accelerator, and the actual driving comfort and experience is brilliant, the more I drive it the more I love it.
At the moment I seriously think that my next vehicle will be an MG, and if the infrastructure improves possibly the MARVEL.
WELL DONE MG, but don’t sit back on your laurels as there will always be room for improvement whatever you come up with.
Jeff Golding

Ps, I drive sensibly, I am a retired ambulance officer and have done my share of high speed driving. I generally observe speed limits and on a long run on A roads maintain 60-70 mph and my current mpg reading is 224, how they get this I don’t know, all I do know is it’s is extremely economical.

The 224 is on the overall use on the first screen by the sounds of it, once you do a longer journey using the ICE it will drop, if you are doing most of your driving on the island in EV this way the MPG is high.if you look at current journey 2nd screen this will give you the information for that journey.

Your experience and impressions closely mirror ours Jeff, the HS PHEV is a very good machine. Based largely on our experience I have ordered a ZS EV.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great note Jeff, thanks for the upbeat message, I have similar feelings about the car.

There are still plenty of things which confuse and amaze me (eg "How do I save settings when I make changes, it seems I have to set them again every time I set off?") but overall the car is stunning. In a previous life I also drove Range Rovers (pre-divorce :)) and this model compares really favourably.

Drove to Bruges recently from home (near Amsterdam) and arrived totally calm and relaxed (maybe that's also since the divorce lol).

I agree with you 100% Jeff and went down the same route 1 year ago.
I'm still loving the PHEV and think its a great 1/2 way house between full EV and ICE ( obviously as its both LOL)
It amazes me how many people knock PHEV's for one reason or another.
I think if you drive it in FULL EV then its great or( especially on journeys greater than the battery range) manually switching to ICE on faster roads , manually switching back to EV on slower roads and arrive back with no battery left , then it can be economical.

Other drivers may say " well thats a faff having to manually switch " well i think its worth while doing that, and no range anxiety (on journeys greater than the range , as there is always a petrol station to fall back on).
I personally think its better than
EV drivers having to have a plan A,B,C and D (when driving somewhere greater than the battery range) and working out where to charge it LOL
ICE drivers having to fill cars weekly ( haven't filled mine for months now lol ) and getting better MPG than them LOL

In the end its down to individual choice on what suits them the best.
Some go EV ( good on them ) some stay on ICE ( their choice also) and some go mild hybrid ( good on them ) and others go PHEV ( good on us).

Again personally i can see in a few years i would swap to full EV as i enjoy driving in that mode.
I was taking interest in the ORA cat ( about £15k in china) if it would have been £20K-£25k , but at £30k its too much.
May wait for the BYD dolphin and see how much that will be.

What a great note Jeff, thanks for the upbeat message, I have similar feelings about the car.

There are still plenty of things which confuse and amaze me (eg "How do I save settings when I make changes, it seems I have to set them again every time I set off?") but overall the car is stunning. In a previous life I also drove Range Rovers (pre-divorce :)) and this model compares really favourably.

Drove to Bruges recently from home (near Amsterdam) and arrived totally calm and relaxed (maybe that's also since the divorce lol).
Hello, regarding having to reset the settings on every journey I find it the same, especially intelligent speed control, but it’s jus a press and a click, so I can live with that, once you know it is acceptable. The more I drive it and get used to it the more I love it.
Have a good weekend, jeff

Hello, regarding having to reset the settings on every journey I find it the same, especially intelligent speed control, but it’s jus a press and a click, so I can live with that, once you know it is acceptable. The more I drive it and get used to it the more I love it.
Have a good weekend, jeff

I agree with you 100% Jeff and went down the same route 1 year ago.
I'm still loving the PHEV and think its a great 1/2 way house between full EV and ICE ( obviously as its both LOL)
It amazes me how many people knock PHEV's for one reason or another.
I think if you drive it in FULL EV then its great or( especially on journeys greater than the battery range) manually switching to ICE on faster roads , manually switching back to EV on slower roads and arrive back with no battery left , then it can be economical.

Other drivers may say " well thats a faff having to manually switch " well i think its worth while doing that, and no range anxiety (on journeys greater than the range , as there is always a petrol station to fall back on).
I personally think its better than
EV drivers having to have a plan A,B,C and D (when driving somewhere greater than the battery range) and working out where to charge it LOL
ICE drivers having to fill cars weekly ( haven't filled mine for months now lol ) and getting better MPG than them LOL

In the end its down to individual choice on what suits them the best.
Some go EV ( good on them ) some stay on ICE ( their choice also) and some go mild hybrid ( good on them ) and others go PHEV ( good on us).

Again personally i can see in a few years i would swap to full EV as i enjoy driving in that mode.
I was taking interest in the ORA cat ( about £15k in china) if it would have been £20K-£25k , but at £30k its too much.
May wait for the BYD dolphin and see how much that will be.
Just out of interest when you go away from home for a few days do you look into charging your car? As if you do not you will not be making the savings also on longer journey you many need to fill up. So this is the same as planing to charge if you have a EV easy for us.

Just out of interest when you go away from home for a few days do you look into charging your car? As if you do not you will not be making the savings also on longer journey you many need to fill up. So this is the same as planing to charge if you have a EV easy for us.
I currently drive a phev, and have mixed feelings on occupying charge points when away from home. Two reasons - it should never exclude ev drivers who need to charge, so ok if there are plentiful other chargers available - and - if subject to a connection charge, a small capacity battery might not make it very cost effective, so convenience might just have higher value.

I currently drive a phev, and have mixed feelings on occupying charge points when away from home. Two reasons - it should never exclude ev drivers who need to charge, so ok if there are plentiful other chargers available - and - if subject to a connection charge, a small capacity battery might not make it very cost effective, so convenience might just have higher value.
If a EV need to charge I would move off but I have a drive from Norwich to the top of Norfolk I have charged in Tesco which give me the power to drive back the 20 miles to where I stay which is 40 mile on fast roads with out using any fuel.

Hi, yes when I go away for a break I ensure that our chosen accommodation will allow me to back up to the front door or windows then I use my granny charging lead. Jeff

If a EV need to charge I would move off but I have a drive from Norwich to the top of Norfolk I have charged in Tesco which give me the power to drive back the 20 miles to where I stay which is 40 mile on fast roads with out using any fuel.
Of course and good for you. I have managed to fill up with petrol only once since last August mainly because my wife has an e-Up! which we use for stuff out of range of the phev battery. In range I run it on battery only unless a system request prevents. I made the point, having seen quite a few phevs occupying charge points while the owner is off shopping and the charge has completed - because it is usually relatively quick with the smaller batteries. There needs to be a developing sense of etiquette given the explosion of evs vs chargers... I'm sure you have it - but not all do - and we need to spread the word...

Of course and good for you. I have managed to fill up with petrol only once since last August mainly because my wife has an e-Up! which we use for stuff out of range of the phev battery. In range I run it on battery only unless a system request prevents. I made the point, having seen quite a few phevs occupying charge points while the owner is off shopping and the charge has completed - because it is usually relatively quick with the smaller batteries. There needs to be a developing sense of etiquette given the explosion of evs vs chargers... I'm sure you have it - but not all do - and we need to spread the word...
I know my charge time on chargers and it’s pod point I use and always watch the app some people are selfish and need educating.

Thats a good question , and depending where I am going depends on my answer.
Having a PHEV obviously means I have options , try to charge or fill up in mins with petrol.
As I'm on holiday I do not want to be sitting on a charger for hours just to get a charge, so below is my thoughts
1) I will try to find an end location where I can plug the granny charger in ( either during the day or evening/night) and top up for free?? If I stopped where they had a shared 7kw charger ( hotel for example) as the onboard charger is 3.6kn max , I think a full EV would need the 7KW charger more than me as they have no other fuel options.
Obviously if the end location had a 7kw charger solely for me then yes I would use it.
2) If I need to go shopping ( eg tescos) then I would plug in while shopping to get a bit of charge but not sit there for hours , as I'm on holiday.
3) If neither 2 or 3 I will take a hit on the petrol consumption as its only a few times a year.

So for example went camping to the lizard 280 miles ish. My last fill of petrol was at Helston ( 10 miles from the lizard) .
There is a podpoint at tescos there ( nearest one to the Lizard) , but no way would i sit there for 3 hours to get some charge, i just filled up with petrol ( 5 mins) and was on my way.
Also as we stayed down there for a week ( lovely costal paths / beaches etc) there was no way i was going to travel 10 miles back to Helston just to get charge, as i would use 10 miles to get back so i think in the phev its just not worth it.

The nearest rapid is 20 miles away ( another reason i do not think the infrastructure is quite there , especially in remote areas for a full EV ) .

Another time hired a house , so i was able to plug in my car in when back at the house and top up to full ( if necessary) while i was there. As we never travelled more 20 miles a day i could then top up and use EV all week.
What do others do?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom