I think I have read enough.

Jocko

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
After all the reading I have done on here with regards to failures, charging issues, roof rails, wind noise etc. I think I will pass on the MG5. I will look in every now and again to see how things are progressing but I don't think the rough edges have been smoothed off enough for me to buy.
Thanks for the great chat and best of luck with your cars.

No failures on mine and no issues with charging. I started with the granny just took awhile then got hold of a Zappi which once I had set up correctly is great for Octopus Go. Just sorted out an OHME smart charger lead as a back up on a Commando socket.

I have no need for roof rails and daily travel at 70mph on the M3 with no noise.

Best car I have bought

Also very happy with mine - definitely the nicest car I've had. Whilst all the things you mention are totally valid to consider, it might be a bit like looking at online comments/reviews etc - most often you hear negative things! No one ever says "train arrived on time today"...

I'm in a similar position. I'm holding out for the facelift version (when the UK gets in, if ever), as it covers a lot of shortcomings with the current model.

That said, by the time it arrives I'll be tempted by second hand original model....

After all the reading I have done on here with regards to failures, charging issues, roof rails, wind noise etc. I think I will pass on the MG5. I will look in every now and again to see how things are progressing but I don't think the rough edges have been smoothed off enough for me to buy.
I was in a similar position and, like you, decided to pass this time. I did find this forum very useful, although probably not in the way that it was intended ;-) I was already concerned about range and charging, and found nothing to reassure me - it's surprising the number of compromises that one has to make. Having bought another ICE instead, we're now running two cars - a 'first' for us. I suspect that in a year or two we'll replace the older ICE with an EV, purely for local use (i.e. within the county) - maybe the facelift version. If things improve enough, maybe a more expensive (longer range, quicker charging) EV will be capable of replacing both cars.

I think many different makes and models have their problems, a visit to their forums will probably be the same as on here.
But at least with the MG EVs, the smaller problems seem less important for the money paid for the car, the more you pay the more you expect IMO.

I am seriously considering the new Hybrid Jazz. It uses an electric drive. The ICE is used to charge the battery and only provided traction at higher speeds. Seem to return tremendous mpg.
I take delivery of my MGZSEV in 4 weeks but for the last 3 years I have been driving the Hyundai Ioniq self charging hybrid and have loved it on average the mpg I’ve been getting has averaged out between 62 and 72 depending on town or motorway driving we live in Bootle but most of our family is down south so do a fair amount of long trips maybe worth a look

I am seriously considering the new Hybrid Jazz. It uses an electric drive. The ICE is used to charge the battery and only provided traction at higher speeds. Seem to return tremendous mpg.
Another "Self Charging Hybrid" like the Toyota stuff !.
Before going full EV my previous car was a VW Golf PHEV.
I owned it for over four years and I loved it.
It was a brilliant "Bridge Car" on the way to a full EV.
Can I offer one piece of good advice.
If it's not a PHEV - Then don't bother !.
With a PHEV you have the choice to charge the car and choose the method of propulsion.
Electric or fossil fuel up to 80mph on the Golf.
But with a hybrid you don't have this choice, the car does !.
Once you hit about about 20mph the petrol engine will fire up with a clatter, this soon becomes very very tiring in traffic.
Running the ICE to provide electrical power to the HV battery, is just not economical.
If you where considering a MG 5 or ZS EV with range that could have suited your needs, then a self charging hybrid appears to be an very odd choice ?.
PHEV's are a good compromise for certain usage cases, but they don't come cheap.
The service costs will increase as the car gets older.
Remember, you are serving two masters with a part EV system and a petrol engine.
Trust me I know !.

If you where considering a MG 5 or ZS EV with range that could have suited your needs, then a self charging hybrid appears to be an very odd choice ?
I am a Jazz owner, a Jazz lover, and it is the new Jazz. I wouldn't consider any other hybrid.

My Gen 4 Prius achieved a lifetime average of around 55 mpg, all short journeys. One tankful in winter gave me 38 mpg, having to leave the car running for 15 minutes+ to defrost and demist a few mornings plummeted the mpg. On a longer run in Summer, A-roads, sparse traffic, I have seen 91 mpg. I loved the Prius but now having the ZS EV and the MG5, I realise how slow hybrids are and less fun to drive. The Prius was costing around 3 times as much in fuel as the EVs are costing in electric and I'm on a standard tariff.
I wouldn't go back to ICE or hybrid, the next car I buy will be another EV with longer range so I don't have to charge as often and less range anxiety on longer trips to the coast etc.

I really want an EV. I found a secondhand Leaf that was perfect for my needs but my wife (who doesn't drive) didn't like it! The MG5 is really the only new EV my finances will stretch to and good secondhand EVs are few and far between.

Personally I've not had a single failure, not a single charge issue, roof rails have now been approved and there is less wind noise than my Hyundai i40. The only reason you may hear more wind noise is the fact there's no engine noise.

Personally i think you've made a bad choice going with a hybrid

As a passer-by looking at the MG5 or ZS EV as my first electric car I am a little concerned at the seemingly wide variation in dealer competence. I am not fussy but do expect real problems to be sorted without argument. If the dealer margins are so thin that there is not a lot interest in the products they sell then perhaps I should look at something else.

Another "Self Charging Hybrid" like the Toyota stuff !.
Before going full EV my previous car was a VW Golf PHEV.
I owned it for over four years and I loved it.
It was a brilliant "Bridge Car" on the way to a full EV.
Can I offer one piece of good advice.
If it's not a PHEV - Then don't bother !.
With a PHEV you have the choice to charge the car and choose the method of propulsion.
Electric or fossil fuel up to 80mph on the Golf.
But with a hybrid you don't have this choice, the car does !.
Once you hit about about 20mph the petrol engine will fire up with a clatter, this soon becomes very very tiring in traffic.
Running the ICE to provide electrical power to the HV battery, is just not economical.
If you where considering a MG 5 or ZS EV with range that could have suited your needs, then a self charging hybrid appears to be an very odd choice ?.
PHEV's are a good compromise for certain usage cases, but they don't come cheap.
The service costs will increase as the car gets older.
Remember, you are serving two masters with a part EV system and a petrol engine.
Trust me I know !.
Sorry don’t agree can’t speak about other hybrids but the Ioniq certainly doesn’t clatter in at 20 mph it will comfortably run on the electric motor on a flat road at 70 mph yes the petrol engine does cut in and out depending on up and down hill but you do not notice it and as I said before the fuel economy is excellent but each to their own

it will comfortably run on the electric motor on a flat road at 70 mph
Is that because your Ioniq is a PHEV and not a HYBRID maybe ?.
A hybrid can NOT perform this task.
If your car is a PHEV and you have depleted all of the electric range, then the petrol engine WILL run be required to run constantly, until it has regained enough energy to power the electric motor.
If you read my post again, you will see that after owning a PHEV for over four years, I was totally happy with how it performed, both in pure electric mode and in petrol mode.
So, can you hear / feel the engine kicking in and out at a constant motorway speed as you suggest - No of course not, if in hybrid auto mode ( or something similar ) it will "Sip" on any available electrical power it has available first, then it will feather in the power from the ICE.
The power delivery is seamless at that speed of course it will be.
When the car is cursing on a flat surface, it is in "Coast" mode.
Any small amount of power needed is supplied by the electric motor, that how you make your fuel savings.
Given you have any electrical range left in your HV pack to supply that energy that is.
Any larger demand for power ( overtaking ) will require the help of the ICE to assist.
In traffic / town driving driving with zero electrical range left, you WILL feel the engine kicking in and out, that's a fact I am afraid.
In a HYBRID model and NOT a PHEV ( e.g. Toyota etc ) any speed that exceeds about 25 Mph and the ICE will be triggered, you have NO control of this situation.
I guess you have never driven one of them, brilliant "Self Charging Hybrid" then ?.
Don't worry, you have not missed much mate !.
Just in passing, did you know that the U.K. advertising agencies are the only body that has cleared the usage of the word "Self Charging Hybrid" to be cleared for use here ?.
All other E.U. counties have banned it !.
These are not just my feelings with regards to these cars.
Self Charging Hybrid's and PHEV's are two completely different beasts.
Take a look at the "Real World Figures" for average MPG figures for a S.C.H. - Not brilliant, I wonder why ?.
I was really impressed with the economy figures I received from my PHEV over a standard ICE car over the four years.
My wife's Fiat 500 used more fuel than my PHEV and it had three times the amount of power.
But honestly, my EV beats the PHEV hands down in economy and is silent ALL of the time.
Sorry, but S.C.H. cars are sold purely on hype surrounding it, not on the real facts.
To people who want to do their bit for the planet and are told they don't even have to charge up the battery in the car !.
"The car itself takes care of ALL of that Sir, you don't even need to plug it in either".
Customers who don't fully understand the whole EV thing - it's sad really.
Manufactures trying to hold onto the idea of selling petrol engine's for just a little longer.

A self charging hybrid seems to be the worst option when looking at electrification.
Agreed it’s a waste of time, no real benefit it’s like another version of the VW emission scandal.....designed as a cheat. Look at the Lexus hybrid they still only do about 30-40 mpg...shocking

Is that because your Ioniq is a PHEV and not a HYBRID maybe ?.
A hybrid can NOT perform this task.
If your car is a PHEV and you have depleted all of the electric range, then the petrol engine WILL run be required to run constantly, until it has regained enough energy to power the electric motor.
If you read my post again, you will see that after owning a PHEV for over four years, I was totally happy with how it performed, both in pure electric mode and in petrol mode.
So, can you hear / feel the engine kicking in and out at a constant motorway speed as you suggest - No of course not, if in hybrid auto mode ( or something similar ) it will "Sip" on any available electrical power it has available first, then it will feather in the power from the ICE.
The power delivery is seamless at that speed of course it will be.
When the car is cursing on a flat surface, it is in "Coast" mode.
Any small amount of power needed is supplied by the electric motor, that how you make your fuel savings.
Given you have any electrical range left in your HV pack to supply that energy that is.
Any larger demand for power ( overtaking ) will require the help of the ICE to assist.
In traffic / town driving driving with zero electrical range left, you WILL feel the engine kicking in and out, that's a fact I am afraid.
In a HYBRID model and NOT a PHEV ( e.g. Toyota etc ) any speed that exceeds about 25 Mph and the ICE will be triggered, you have NO control of this situation.
I guess you have never driven one of them, brilliant "Self Charging Hybrid" then ?.
Don't worry, you have not missed much mate !.
Just in passing, did you know that the U.K. advertising agencies are the only body that has cleared the usage of the word "Self Charging Hybrid" to be cleared for use here ?.
All other E.U. counties have banned it !.
These are not just my feelings with regards to these cars.
Self Charging Hybrid's and PHEV's are two completely different beasts.
Take a look at the "Real World Figures" for average MPG figures for a S.C.H. - Not brilliant, I wonder why ?.
I was really impressed with the economy figures I received from my PHEV over a standard ICE car over the four years.
My wife's Fiat 500 used more fuel than my PHEV and it had three times the amount of power.
But honestly, my EV beats the PHEV hands down in economy and is silent ALL of the time.
Sorry, but S.C.H. cars are sold purely on hype surrounding it, not on the real facts.
To people who want to do their bit for the planet and are told they don't even have to charge up the battery in the car !.
"The car itself takes care of ALL of that Sir, you don't even need to plug it in either".
Customers who don't fully understand the whole EV thing - it's sad really.
Manufactures trying to hold onto the idea of selling petrol engine's for just a little longer.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom