ICE range meter question

GCB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Does anyone know the perverse logic used in the ICE range meter software?

I know such devices are giving an estimate and are not an exact science, but...

I've just completed a 7 mile journey in heavy traffic in hybrid mode. The ev range meter dropped by 2 miles. So my logic is that the ICE basically did a journey of about 5 miles.

The trip computer for the journey tells me 56 miles per gallon with electric use of 22kw/100mls but the ICE range meter dropped 20 miles during the 7 mile journey.

What is one expected to believe? It makes you doubt the truth of the mpg figures given by the car.

Anyone else seeing such misleading figures?

Electric range is fixed to battery percentage. ICE is more like traditional based on efficiency of recent drive. If your drive was super smooth and easy on the engine, range will increase otherwise it will decrease.

Does anyone know the perverse logic used in the ICE range meter software?

I know such devices are giving an estimate and are not an exact science, but...

I've just completed a 7 mile journey in heavy traffic in hybrid mode. The ev range meter dropped by 2 miles. So my logic is that the ICE basically did a journey of about 5 miles.

The trip computer for the journey tells me 56 miles per gallon with electric use of 22kw/100mls but the ICE range meter dropped 20 miles during the 7 mile journey.

What is one expected to believe? It makes you doubt the truth of the mpg figures given by the car.

Anyone else seeing such misleading figures?
Don’t forget when useing the petrol it uses the battery till you reach 26 mph then it switches back to fuel so every time you stop and start you are using electric

If you are talking about the number above the petrol gauge then you will find this will move up and down, because you are moving very slow in traffic it would be a low figure, but say you come out on a fast road you will find it will come up very quickly,

This is because the fast you go the more economical you are using petrol the slower you go the less economical on petrol, it seem to do this even you are on EV So is some how linked between EV and ICE to show the range you have in the tank.

my experience of the i gone through the village on EV and it would show 260 then I would get on to the A1 and have a few miles it would be up to 310. This is why you see a drop of 20 miles. Hope I have explained this for you to understand, it’s taken me some time to understand how it works.

I think Lars' comment is more to the point in that it is taking too small a sample of performance and thus is prone to extreme fluctuations. There's also the issue where if part of a journey is done in ev and then you switch to auto/hybrid mode, it probably looks at short term petrol consumption but spread over the entire journey rather than just the portion where the ICE was available. This would skew fuel consumption figures and then most likely the range readings too.
That would explain the 56mpg readout on the trip. On a slow journey it would be skewed by the use of the electric motor. The ICE was probably only running for 2 or 3 miles of the 7, but reports it's mpg spread over the entire 7 miles. It might make the mpg figure look good but could be relatively meaningless.

All I want to know is how many gallons I’m lugging around, the petrol guessodometer seems pointless to me in the current software setup. I tend to drag around just a couple of gallons unless I’m on a longer trip and then top up estimating 32 electric miles +40 mpg.

How much petrol you are lugging around (I think) is the blue meter you see on your left. I think the range is not directly linked to your fuel tank content.

Just picture the blue meter as the analog meter you used to have.....

Just my guess tho ...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom