ICE Running

Jto

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My car when in for a service today came out with clean bill of health, i was saying that I drive mostly on EV and the service person was saying that they were worry about PHEV coming that neather use or very little use of the ICE that could have blocked fuel pipes and injectors, I did say even now I run my car for two to four miles a day and the reply was a positive one as a good idea.

This was discussed here:

I forgot about that post, it just a service department had something to say on it.
thanks

I referred back to it because the consensus didn't really support what the service department was saying.
There's a huge amount of information on the internet about best practice for running petrol/diesel engines and it's very clear that frequent short distance running is not good. Less of an issue in the Summer maybe, but still not ideal. :)

In winter I do run for longer as I do not the cold and like to see out, as most of my running around is to and from work about 18 miles in total per day in the week, do more at the weekend.

I really can't see a huge problem with the whole fuel / injector thing to be honest ?.
Using the EV range on a PHEV as much as possible on short trips, is the only way that a PHEV becomes even close to being cost viable in my opinion.
They are not very economical for high milage users, dragging all of that extra weight of a depleted battery around.
Then when you are using the EV mode, you are dragging all that ICE equipment about !.
Servicing can get expensive as the car ages, because you as serving two masters.
The service needs of a EV and the needs of a ICE !.
It's two cars in one really.
I bet you thinking that I am one of them "Anti PHEV" members who bash PHEV's.
Well before you start hitting them keys, let me just flatten that idea now, because I owned a very quick & clever VW Golf GTE PHEV for over four years, before going full BEV with the MG ZS EV ( Gen 1) back in 2019.
I loved every single day of driving it, because it put a big smile on my face.
So why did I shift over to a full BEV then ?.
Well, that's an easy one to answer.
The PHEV was my first introduction into EV driving in 2015.
I was bitten really hard by the EV bug and knew after a few short months, that my next car would have to be ALL electric.
Pure EV's are NOT for everybody and I totally get that 100%.
PHEV's are what I term as a "Bridge Car" - A great bridge to anybody who wants to put his / her toe into the EV bath, then test if they like the water.
Not wanting to dive head first from a ICE to an EV - The PHEV bridges the nervous gap.
They tend to serve people best, when you have a particular usage case.
If you are conducting a lot more short trips than longer trips and the short range suits, then maybe a BEV would have been a better buy ?.
If on the other hand, you find yourself doing more longer trips than shorter trips, then a PHEV is not that economical, given the high cost of fuel and the extra weight the car is lugging around.
It's the middle section user, is where you hit that sweet spot.
Okay, as long as your usage pattern does not shift of course.
The MG PHEV is not as user friendly as the VW that's for sure.
On the VW you have complete control of how and when you use that valuable limited amount of EV range.
It defaults to pure EV mode on start up and will remain in that mode up to 82 Mph.
Regardless of the outside temp and what your require for heating in the cabin.
No intervention from the engine unless the driver demands it.
The EV power is delivered almost silent through a very slick and seamless DSG box.
the gear changes are very difficult to detect to be fair.
The main dealer service costs are reasonable when new, but get a bit spiteful as time moves on.
Even if 80% of your mileage covered is in EV mode and therefore very little ICE usage.
You will still seeing a service ( oil and filter change minimum ) every 10 months of 12,000 miles without exception.
Remember the ICE can sit idle for a GOOD while when using the EV mode, but when you demand full power to make an important over take for example, that cold engine will need to wake up smartly and give 100% of the power on demand.
This making oil changes very important for the longer term life of your ICE.
I am now on my second full BEV after moving from the PHEV, do I regret the move ?.
NO - A full EV ( If it suits your usage case ) is where it's at I think for me.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom