Improving range

smokie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I know there is a lot of chat around range but I've just done a middle-of-the-night drop-off at Luton airport (maybe 120 miles round trip) at 70mph on cruise control (mostly, except speed limited bits) on empty motorways and got 2.9m per kwh, giving a range (in current conditions) of something under 180 (LR).

We can all guess, but as I was driving I just mused how much better/worse it really would have been at 65 or 75mph. Has anyone actually measured that, or got a pretty good feel for it from real experience?

I have to do the pickup next week but that is daytime and won't really be directly comp[arable.

I know there is a lot of chat around range but I've just done a middle-of-the-night drop-off at Luton airport (maybe 120 miles round trip) at 70mph on cruise control (mostly, except speed limited bits) on empty motorways and got 2.9m per kwh, giving a range (in current conditions) of something under 180 (LR).

We can all guess, but as I was driving I just mused how much better/worse it really would have been at 65 or 75mph. Has anyone actually measured that, or got a pretty good feel for it from real experience?

I have to do the pickup next week but that is daytime and won't really be directly comp[arable.
The video in this thread - EV Range Killers - is pretty informative about how various factors (speed, passengers, heating, towing etc) effect efficiency. Admittedly it's with a Skoda but I'd say the principles probably hold for most electric cars of similar power.

Increasing the speed from 60mph to 70 mph saw a drop in efficiency of about 13%. So I'd guess that 5mph either side of 70 should be roughly half that difference.

I watched this yesterday, very interesting how much the range dropped. I would like a similar report done for the weather ie rain and cold against a bright warm day.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom