Inconsistencies promised WLTP range

Ever since a standard was introduced for both ICE and EV cars there has been much debate about how realistically achievable and fair to the consumer and manufacturer it might be - whether it is mpg or range.

Of course with ICE cars and the ease of refuelling the range is less crucial and the focus is more on mpg.
I think with EV’s if any of the current crop of manufacturers were completely honest about real world range they would sell a lot less cars. And I’m talking some very expensive EV’s also, not just lower priced models.

The WLTP in my opinion is heavily biased towards the manufacturer and makes their cars seem more attractive than they ever are for the vast majority in terms of achievable range. How it was set up, who had input and the main objectives behind it would make interesting reading. The car industry seems to get away with standards that in other industries would never be allowed.

EV’S are still relatively immature in their development and the WLTP figures make them look better than they actually are in terms of range.
Our 3mpk cars will be classed as e-guzzlers in years to come just as early 20mpg ICE were.

Range anxiety is still a big barrier to entry in the EV market as is the current high cost. The WLTP figures attempt (in my opinion not realistically) to address range anxiety but in an opaque way.

The customer might think that they’re buying a car with for example a 50kwh battery when in terms of use this is never going to be the case - which is misleading. They only find this out usually after ownership - as I did a few years ago with my first EV.

MG is no different to other manufacturers - all have a BMS system that sets a top and bottom usable capacity - some publish this and some don’t.

There is a balance between larger batteries, extra costs, extra weight etc.
A smaller battery gets worked a lot harder with more cycles to achieve the same mileage as a larger capacity battery, but then the car is heavier and much more expensive.
A smaller battery car leaves less of a margin for comfort on range.

Manufacturers are trying to educate customers away from quoting size of batteries - and it’s easy to see why that might be.

The whole area needs far more transparency, but this won‘t happen and governments will not push too hard while they themselves are targeted to reduce emissions and increase the number of EV’s on our roads.

When buying an EV I would recommended taking as a minimum 75% of the WLTP as your benchmark (and also bear in mind the additional impact of cold weather on range) - if you can live with this then great. The majority of UK users will not need a car with a large range - especially if they charge at home. And let’s face it Ev’s are great.

The bottom line for me is if you travel a lot and regularly do 150 to 200mile+ journeys using the car - driving in a real world way as you did with ICE cars, then most EV’s will not work for you at the moment unless you are prepared to make major changes to your approach.

Ever since a standard was introduced for both ICE and EV cars there has been much debate about how realistically achievable and fair to the consumer and manufacturer it might be - whether it is mpg or range.

Of course with ICE cars and the ease of refuelling the range is less crucial and the focus is more on mpg.
I think with EV’s if any of the current crop of manufacturers were completely honest about real world range they would sell a lot less cars. And I’m talking some very expensive EV’s also, not just lower priced models.

The WLTP in my opinion is heavily biased towards the manufacturer and makes their cars seem more attractive than they ever are for the vast majority in terms of achievable range. How it was set up, who had input and the main objectives behind it would make interesting reading. The car industry seems to get away with standards that in other industries would never be allowed.

EV’S are still relatively immature in their development and the WLTP figures make them look better than they actually are in terms of range.
Our 3mpk cars will be classed as e-guzzlers in years to come just as early 20mpg ICE were.

Range anxiety is still a big barrier to entry in the EV market as is the current high cost. The WLTP figures attempt (in my opinion not realistically) to address range anxiety but in an opaque way.

The customer might think that they’re buying a car with for example a 50kwh battery when in terms of use this is never going to be the case - which is misleading. They only find this out usually after ownership - as I did a few years ago with my first EV.

MG is no different to other manufacturers - all have a BMS system that sets a top and bottom usable capacity - some publish this and some don’t.

There is a balance between larger batteries, extra costs, extra weight etc.
A smaller battery gets worked a lot harder with more cycles to achieve the same mileage as a larger capacity battery, but then the car is heavier and much more expensive.
A smaller battery car leaves less of a margin for comfort on range.

Manufacturers are trying to educate customers away from quoting size of batteries - and it’s easy to see why that might be.

The whole area needs far more transparency, but this won‘t happen and governments will not push too hard while they themselves are targeted to reduce emissions and increase the number of EV’s on our roads.

When buying an EV I would recommended taking as a minimum 75% of the WLTP as your benchmark (and also bear in mind the additional impact of cold weather on range) - if you can live with this then great. The majority of UK users will not need a car with a large range - especially if they charge at home. And let’s face it Ev’s are great.

The bottom line for me is if you travel a lot and regularly do 150 to 200mile+ journeys using the car - driving in a real world way as you did with ICE cars, then most EV’s will not work for you at the moment unless you are prepared to make major changes to your approach.
Probably the main issue is that the WLTP test wasn't designed for EV cars, it was really based around ICE cars, it has been adapted to allow EV cars to use it with calculations to be used for them specifically.
The actual test conditions make a massive very important difference for EV cars compared to ICE cars, aero performance/temperature etc is so much more important.
A decent EV test, should for example include driving into a 70MPH head wind, be performed at say a temperature of 0c, 10c, 20c & 30c.
It should then in my opinion not give a single figure but give a figure at for example 0c, 15c & 30c.
The test should also include the car maintaining an internal temperature of say 20c during the test.
Furthermore, there should be a minimum limit for a rate of acceleration that can be performed and when the car cannot manage that it is determined to be in an unusable state and the test ends.

Going forward all EVs are generally getting bigger batteries so it will be less of a problem, but currently - with the current ZS EV for example, if they advertised a realistic range at 0c of 120miles they would defenitly sell less - I indeed would not have bought it.

Do you ever use a DC rapid charger? Battery size would be:
100 * kWh billed / (battery % end of charge - battery % start of charge)
No I didn't. We don't have any here 👀
I have only charged with the Granny Charger so far, which is perfectly adequate for my needs. I charge two to three times a week usually.

Perhaps you have a different BMS version that makes a little more available to you?
Have not been able to determine my BMS yet but it is working fine for me at the moment so I'm reticent to dig into that.

Of course. But neither is your usage scenario. WLTP contains a high speed section with speeds of up to 131km/h, and quite some time above 120km/h. Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicles Test Procedure
Yes I'm aware of it. I have created a localised real-world drive cycle for the purposes of e-mobility planning. Our speed limit is 100km/h on highways though.

Back to my 4500km trip across Australia that I just completed:

While the WLTP test has lots of variable sections, there has to be one speed at which (with no wind or elevation change), the car achieves the WLTP range. Based on just looking at the WLTP test cycle, and knowing how disproportionately much energy is used at high speeds, my best guess would have been that this speed should be between 90 and 95 km/h.

In practice that did not eventuate. On days with with 20km/h tail wind I managed to get to WLTP range driving a constant 85 km/h. On days with sideways winds I had to drop to 80 or even 75 km/h to stop range from dropping away. I've only had a few hours of head winds during that whole trip: to keep the range constant I had to drop to 65, or, in the interest of safety, keep driving at 80 and accept a considerable reduction in range.

To summarise: there is no doubt that we can reach 263km or even more on one charge. Hyper miling is a thing, and for EVs that is easily achieved by dropping the speed*. The question that still remains for me is: did we get what we paid for? The advertised battery size in kWh and the range that comes with that?

* During my trip the day I got into most trouble was one where dropping the speed did not help: on an unsealed road, where dropping the speed below 70 meant that the corrugations used up a lot more energy.
Wow! You have a lot of patience to do 4500km at 70-90 km/h! Congratulations!!! Are there charging stations all along the way?
Are you planning to write up your experience at all?

A decent EV test, should for example include driving into a 70MPH head wind, be performed at say a temperature of 0c, 10c, 20c & 30c.
Temperature - yes but then the ICE vehicles should be tested in the same way. Unless you are proposing an homologated EV Real World Range Test, which may well have some merit. In terms of headwind, that would seem a bit extreme.

It should then in my opinion not give a single figure but give a figure at for example 0c, 15c & 30c.
The test should also include the car maintaining an internal temperature of say 20c during the test.
Furthermore, there should be a minimum limit for a rate of acceleration that can be performed and when the car cannot manage that it is determined to be in an unusable state and the test ends.

Going forward all EVs are generally getting bigger batteries so it will be less of a problem, but currently - with the current ZS EV for example, if they advertised a realistic range at 0c of 120miles they would defenitly sell less - I indeed would not have bought it.
I wonder whether the MG ZS EV is more adversely affected by cold temps than other EVs? It certainly seems to like the heat like in my situation (21 degC min night temp and 30-34 degC max daytime). My efficiency figures (14.8 kWh/100km) are with enthusiastic driving and a fair bit of AC use as well - enjoying the sprightly acceleration and generally wondering why all the other cars around are moving so slowly...

Temperature - yes but then the ICE vehicles should be tested in the same way. Unless you are proposing an homologated EV Real World Range Test, which may well have some merit. In terms of headwind, that would seem a bit extreme.

I wonder whether the MG ZS EV is more adversely affected by cold temps than other EVs? It certainly seems to like the heat like in my situation (21 degC min night temp and 30-34 degC max daytime). My efficiency figures (14.8 kWh/100km) are with enthusiastic driving and a fair bit of AC use as well - enjoying the sprightly acceleration and generally wondering why all the other cars around are moving so slowly...
Yes I'm saying it should be a specifically designed test for battery EVs, not using an unsuitable amended ICE test.
ICE vehicles aren't affected by temperature in the same way so it doesn't really matter for them.
Regarding the 70mph headwind, I meant that a "stationary" test on rollers isn't really good enough as it doesn't account for the aero performance i.e. the drag of driving at 70mph. Not sure realistically how this could be achieved in a controlled test environment, maybe the calculated drag co-effiecent etc should be multiplied into the result or something.

The ZS EV not using a heat exchanger pump thing that's been discussed, I think is partially why it hits its power use quite dramatically in cold conditions.

The range (unless you have a go-wiz ) is NOT the problem as most EVs, even the smaller battery versions will do 100 Miles on the motorway in almost all conditions and using the heating, lights, A.C. etc etc, and that's at a reasonable speed 70mph.

In my opinion it's not range anxiety that you suffer from, I don't, it's charger anxiety. After 100 Miles most of us want to stop for a break, and 40 mins to charge whilst having said break is NOT unreasonably long or inconvenient.

No, the problem is having access to a RAPID charger immediately without waiting for someone else to finish (alright 5-10 mins waiting is reasonable, but not 40 mins). So until you have banks of RAPID chargers available at EVERY Services then EV long distance driving with any of the current EVs is always a nightmare. Even Tesla owners are beginning to see the effects of the uptake of EV buyers with their excellent charging infrastructure beginning to feel the pressure where even they are having to queue.I

I have lost count of the times I have been unable to charge due to , faults, vandalism, long queues, ICE cars parked in bays. My favourite though is rocking up to a RAPID Charger which has a CCS and cdaemo? and as a Nissan Leaf is using the Cdaemo? you can't use the CCS, I mean, come on, who thought that was a good design, if there are x outputs from a charger then they should all be accessible at the same time. I once spent nearly two hours driving around Glasgow suffering some of the above trying to get a charge.

So in my opinion it's not the range but the charging infrastructure. Finally I don't know how individuals who live in flats and terraced houses without off road parking are going to manage. I would not have bought an EV without my Home Charger.

Frank

PS Don't know if this posted first time I drafted it this morning.
PPS

Some good points. I do think that the more range that you have in your EV then this exposes you less to some of these inadequacies of charging and the less frequently you will need to use what is still a poor infrastructure. I’ve never had to wait at superchargers and my Tesla has real world range of about 190-220miles, but sometimes, even after 20k miles of using it, there’s still that feeling that you might get caught out when on a journey - and you still need to carefully plan your trip. 200miles in real world is really the minimum standard that I think all EV’s should aspire to. Charging at home if you have it is still a massive bonus and means that for most people running an EV hardly ever involves charging outside of your home charger.

Some good points. I do think that the more range that you have in your EV then this exposes you less to some of these inadequacies of charging and the less frequently you will need to use what is still a poor infrastructure. I’ve never had to wait at superchargers and my Tesla has real world range of about 190-220miles, but sometimes, even after 20k miles of using it, there’s still that feeling that you might get caught out when on a journey - and you still need to carefully plan your trip. 200miles in real world is really the minimum standard that I think all EV’s should aspire to. Charging at home if you have it is still a massive bonus and means that for most people running an EV hardly ever involves charging outside of your home charger.
Off course, but unfortunately the "charger anxiety" that I suffer from is still there as you will, no matter what the range available have to charge at some point. The Tesla waiting point that I made was from a London owner in and around the M25 (more disposal income there I suppose and the Tesla 3 has made the marque slightly more affordable) so even there infrastructure will possibly be overwhelmed (i.e. people queuing) especially if the Government forces them to make their charging infrastructure open to non-Tesla owners as voiced in a recent article I read. If this happened I am sure most Tesla owners will be very unhappy, I would.

Frank

Off course, but unfortunately the "charger anxiety" that I suffer from is still there as you will, no matter what the range available have to charge at some point. The Tesla waiting point that I made was from a London owner in and around the M25 (more disposal income there I suppose and the Tesla 3 has made the marque slightly more affordable) so even there infrastructure will possibly be overwhelmed (i.e. people queuing) especially if the Government forces them to make their charging infrastructure open to non-Tesla owners as voiced in a recent article I read. If this happened I am sure most Tesla owners will be very unhappy, I would.

Frank
Interesting thoughts.
You are correct in that if there were more chargers everywhere (and available) it would defenitly reduce the worry of running out of juice.
I do not want to have to charge up when out and about though, for me the main point of getting an EV is the lower cost of running it - so only using my cheap home off peak rate. Rapid DC chargers at the price they are don't make sense to me for regular use.
Take my main use for example; driving (motorway) over 50miles to work and then 50miles back, stopping to charge each day isn't an option, so need a battery that provides over 130miles real world in the coldest temperatures.
On a long journey, I'd be perfectly happy to have a 1/2hour break every couple of hours of driving to charge up.

Should have been driving an EV with half the kWh available in 2015 with exponentially less chargers dotted around.
Its good to see that we have progressed, albeit slowly. I wonder where we’ll be in 5 Years time?

Its good to see that we have progressed, albeit slowly. I wonder where we’ll be in 5 Years time?

If you compare 2015 with 2021 you'd think it was another planet. I recall 2015-2018, multiple holidays around Northern England, I don't think I got a local charge more than once or twice. It was granny charging at night and careful planning for every trip. After 2018 I got bored having to plan so much, took the edge of holidays to be fair. So we used my partners ICE. But when we can finally drive good distances again I look forward to taking the MG.

On the Electrifying website from BP Pulse knowledge hub there is a very good 10 point article about batteries for EV vehicles. It clears up many of the myths and I found it was very realistic.

Interesting thoughts.
You are correct in that if there were more chargers everywhere (and available) it would defenitly reduce the worry of running out of juice.
I do not want to have to charge up when out and about though, for me the main point of getting an EV is the lower cost of running it - so only using my cheap home off peak rate. Rapid DC chargers at the price they are don't make sense to me for regular use.
Take my main use for example; driving (motorway) over 50miles to work and then 50miles back, stopping to charge each day isn't an option, so need a battery that provides over 130miles real world in the coldest temperatures.
On a long journey, I'd be perfectly happy to have a 1/2hour break every couple of hours of driving to charge up.
Don't think it's just about the charging infrastructure and similar to MG's WLTP, unless you charge on the first Monday in every month, happy to drive 100 miles first, outside temperature is pleasent and your SOC is low enough (not sure what MG states this is) then the claimed 50KWH is somewhat misleading more like 30 - 35KWH :LOL:

Yes, it's a waste of energy, but in a way comparable to how ICE engines only convert say 30% of the energy from fuel into motion. Another way EVs are a lot better, lower losses. Of course if electricity is made from fossil fuels, a similar waste occurs on the way from fossil to electricity.

I'll reply in more detail when I get home. An 2016 article I found was about a (then) new way of having only 3% conversion losses AC to DC, as opposed to a more typical higher value, they quoted 6% I believe. A lot lower than 10%, which would include the charging losses too. Those 3% are in line with what modern solar inverters achieve in the other direction, from DC to AC.

As to actual kWh charged: my OpenEVSE does document those for each charging session. The problem I have here on the road is that only the current is measured, the voltage is taken to be standard grid voltage. (Which is weird, since voltage is so much easier to measure than current)

Crossing the Nullarbor ymuch of that electricity comes from diesel generators. Putting strain on only one phase of the 3-phase supply will see voltage drops. If I assume that I charge on 230V after those drops rather than the 240V the grid is supposed to have, then the actual usable capacity using an AC charger, before losses, comes to about 44kWh.

Even if those generators were able to supply a steady 240V on one heavily loaded phase, that would only be 46kWh. Both figures well short of the 49 we should see on AC to charge a 44.5kWh DC rated battery.

I will have accurate voltage readings and therefore accurate kWh once I can charge back at my own home (more accurate at least, some losses still occur in the wires between my solar inverter and the car charger). If I was a betting man I'd put money on finding the same result.
You seem to enjoy wrestling with this. Does the problem actually NEED to be resolved? At the end of the day, my ICE car costs me over 20 pence a mile in petrol costs, whilst my ZS EV costing about just over a penny if I grid charge on an off peak rate, or even zero if I use my solar PV when the cars there and the sun is shining!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom