Incorrect ZS EV GOM readings.

ging353

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My GOM reading is still high after the Comfort 2 Update......has anyone else had this problem and did it return to normal after a while.......mine is still showing 196 miles left.

No mine is still high showing 218 miles range after a full charge...really frustrating

I wish and I’m really driving efficiently, please see below from Hornchurch to Sheppy the other night...but it tends to fall away quickly, but then slows from 90 miles remaining. I’m not really sure exactly what I’m getting, but it is certainly higher than the quote 163, probably near 180 on a combined run.., however city driving is more albeit I not sure I’ve reached the quoted 230....

Attachments

• 03BCBAF1-5D7A-40FF-980B-8F10BF1CAFA0.jpeg
    03BCBAF1-5D7A-40FF-980B-8F10BF1CAFA0.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 137
What numbers do you get in N and S? I’m not saying it’s right but the Normal mode ‘prediction’ seems closer to the claimed combined figure.

That is good, I hope I can achieve good figures, mine will be arriving next month so hopefully still a warm summer. Could be interesting straight from the factory.

I haven't tried normal or sport mode either. I hope to get away for a holiday soon so it will be interesting to see what happens on a longer run. Hopefully as it gets lower it behaves more normally.

I wish and I’m really driving efficiently, please see below from Hornchurch to Sheppy the other night...but it tends to fall away quickly, but then slows from 90 miles remaining. I’m not really sure exactly what I’m getting, but it is certainly higher than the quote 163, probably near 180 on a combined run.., however city driving is more albeit I not sure I’ve reached the quoted 230....
Bloody Hell, I must drive with a lead foot, I have NEVER gone above 3.5 kwh and that is when I am trying to be economical ?

I’ve had years of practice trying to drive my Volvo XC90 efficiently when I was using it for work and getting on average 46 miles PG when the recommended MPG were 42...
Accelerate slowly, try and keep a steady speed at 65 when on a motorway and let the Regen brake as much as possible.
It’s just practice, however when the wife is in the car that all goes out the window as she needs A - B as quickly as possible...!

I haven't tried normal or sport mode either. I hope to get away for a holiday soon so it will be interesting to see what happens on a longer run. Hopefully as it gets lower it behaves more normally.
The advantage is now that your remaining estimated distance is constantly on show and so it’s not as frustrating, but it does tend to as you say behave much more on the lower end of scales below 90 remaining miles and so it’s really not a problem.

I started off with good, economical intentions, driving like a granny with my Prius, but realised I wasn't getting much better mpg, due to my short 3-4 mile journeys, than driving it normally.
The MG being even cheaper to run and more fun to drive, doesn't help me to drive economically on my short journeys. I guess I'll have to wait until I pluck up courage to go on a longer run to put these economical practices back into my driving style.

I agree I’m not so careful on short runs where range isn’t an issue.
I’m more careful when I’m doing the longer business runs...where time and mileage is money as the wear and tear because of business is much higher than normal and the economical savings are put back in to paying for the car and it’s up keep.
My wife just says I’m a tight git...I just say I’m commercially aware.

Normal is the default mode which you use every time you start up. I use Sports mode at traffic lights. Scary if your wheels aren’t in a straight line?

Hi Folks,
I would suggest you look at your miles per kWh data against the miles travel on the accumulated data screen at the end of each day and then reset this to zeros for about 5days. Compare this to the actual distance on the main odometer and if the data show figures that do not add up go back to the dealerships and have things looked at.
My own take on this is that some of you are super efficient drivers without actually knowing it. Before comfort 2, during Jan, Feb, March I was closely following the data some of you were posting and they were over and above what one is expected to achieve in winter. It is no surprise that you are the same folk reporting excellent data in summer.
@Mark Holmes I think in terms of data proven efficiency you are on both winter and summer leader board so far. I see other claims with not much data to back it. But your data that I have seen shows efficiency.
Anyway that is how I see it.
Having said that if anyone seeing is their GOM showing 200miles after having driven a100 miles on one charge then there is a true problem.
So I guess the other way forward is to do the 100 mile challenge. If after 100miles your GOM says you can travel more miles then that stipulated for a fully charged battery ie over 160 miles then you have a problem as it is impossible to drive normally and achieve such efficiency in a ZS EV.

My GOM reading is still high after the Comfort 2 Update......has anyone else had this problem and did it return to normal after a while.......mine is still showing 196 miles left.
Remember that it is a GOM. Not expecting it to be accurate.

@Exdro
Yes. The GOM are not accurate in the absolute sense of the word but they are also not grossly inaccurate to the extent that the number they show becomes meaningless and of no use to no-one. In terms of what the GOMs are supposed to extimate they are quite good and ZS EV GOM is one of the best in its class. Manufacturers and the appropriate supervisory bodies have spent years and years to work out the EPA for North America and WTLP for Europe which form the technical data permises on which all GOMs are based making the error margin within GOM as low as possible.
More importantly the GOM data for each individual driver should reflect the kWh data for the that individual driver versus the total odometer very accurately and overall all the data should be at the maximum somewhere below or about the city WLTP or EPA mileage.
In the end unless one changes their driving style and/ or routes daily the GOM will become quite accurate and only temp dependent.
So although your GOM will show different figures to another person's doing the same journey, for you personally the your GOM data should not show huge variations suddenly unless something is wrong or there is a huge temp change.
All said and done the relative accuracy of the GOM is quite good if you understand and know what the GOM figures mean.
IMHO to discribed the GOM as inaccurate is a bit far from the truth. It's more like you do not understand what the GOM is estimating because there is no better way to do that estimation in the world at the moment other than the method used in our GOMs.

@Exdro
Yes. The GOM are not accurate in the absolute sense of the word but they are also not grossly inaccurate to the extent that the number they show becomes meaningless and of no use to no-one. In terms of what the GOMs are supposed to extimate they are quite good and ZS EV GOM is one of the best in its class. Manufacturers and the appropriate supervisory bodies have spent years and years to work out the EPA for North America and WTLP for Europe which form the technical data permises on which all GOMs are based making the error margin within GOM as low as possible.
More importantly the GOM data for each individual driver should reflect the kWh data for the that individual driver versus the total odometer very accurately and overall all the data should be at the maximum somewhere below or about the city WLTP or EPA mileage.
In the end unless one changes their driving style and/ or routes daily the GOM will become quite accurate and only temp dependent.
So although your GOM will show different figures to another person's doing the same journey, for you personally the your GOM data should not show huge variations suddenly unless something is wrong or there is a huge temp change.
All said and done the relative accuracy of the GOM is quite good if you understand and know what the GOM figures mean.
IMHO to discribed the GOM as inaccurate is a bit far from the truth. It's more like you do not understand what the GOM is estimating because there is no better way to do that estimation in the world at the moment other than the method used in our GOMs.
GOM readings are never incorrect although they can be inaccurate. The readings are based on the most recent driving habits and routes used. If a different driver jumps in and drives it like a rally car, the estimate will go down. If a driver with a lighter foot drives in an urban setting, the reading will go up. The readings are always based on the most recent driving habit. A bit like financial advice : returns can go up as well as c
All depends on how you drive and the route you take.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom