Increased SEG

Jomarkh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I got this email saying my SEG is going from 4.1p to 15p/kWh. I am currently on IO.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905_154930_AOL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230905_154930_AOL.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 72
I got this email saying my SEG is going from 4.1p to 15p/kWh. I am currently on IO.

Same here... it'll change how I charge, as I currently granny charge when I have excess.

It'll become better value to charge the battery and car overnight and maximise all of my solar back to Octopus.

Excellent news!

That's what I will do to, house battery to 90% overnight and no juggling with what the weather is doing. Now do I go back to putting the washing machine etc. on overnight?

I had an email from EDF just after midnight;

Eco20:20​
Budget Direct Debit (Monthly)​
6390 kWh​
Current prices
New prices (1 October)​
Standing charge (pence per day)​
58.37​
58.68​

Unit rate DY (pence per kWh)​
43.55​
38.10​

Unit rate EW (pence per kWh)​
12.36​
11.84​

I had an email from EDF just after midnight;

Eco20:20​
Budget Direct Debit (Monthly)​
6390 kWh​
Current prices
New prices (1 October)​
Standing charge (pence per day)​
58.37​
58.68​

Unit rate DY (pence per kWh)​
43.55​
38.10​

Unit rate EW (pence per kWh)​
12.36​
11.84​
Wow those are still high. :eek:

It seems like it when you look at it from an hourly rate, but you get 90 hours a week off peak which actually makes it cheaper than the other tariffs for my usage.
Everyone's usage is different and so the tariff they choose needs to be calculated individually for their own benefit.
As for me 28 hours off peak is more than I can realistically benefit from, I have nothing left to utilise all the off-peak, so quite happy at 9.5p (almost 3p less than yours) and daily rate 29p (14p less than yours).
I suspect yours must be unusual usage compared to the norm, so well done on finding the tariff that works for you without taking the obvious choices that everyone promotes.

Everyone's usage is different and so the tariff they choose needs to be calculated individually for their own benefit.
As for me 28 hours off peak is more than I can realistically benefit from, I have nothing left to utilise all the off-peak, so quite happy at 9.5p (almost 3p less than yours) and daily rate 29p (14p less than yours).
I suspect yours must be unusual usage compared to the norm, so well done on finding the tariff that works for you without taking the obvious choices that everyone promotes.
12 kWh of battery, so I never use peak rate electricity. :)

No idea. It's saving me money and that's good enough for me. If I'd have put the money in a savings account I wouldn't get the return I'm getting from saving on electricity bill. :)
Well it is only saving you money after it has paid for itself and if you put the money in a savings account you can still withdraw the capital - so that's not a great comparison.

If the goal is simply to reduce your bills, fine, but I am skeptical about battery savings given the costs and lifespans. Solar seems a no brainer and if the battery is done with solar, you can save the VAT too, which helps.

12 kWh of battery, so I never use peak rate electricity. :)
Excellent, but still a little confused. Presumably loading battery with Solar and off-peak, so why pay c. 12p for off peak when you could have 9.5p or 7.5p etc.. Even cheaper.

Excellent, but still a little confused. Presumably loading battery with Solar and off-peak, so why pay c. 12p for off peak when you could have 9.5p or 7.5p etc.. Even cheaper.
Because peak usage would be 140 hours a week on a 4 hour off peak tariff, rather than 98 hours a week I have at the moment.

In the winter months, with less sunshine and tending to use more electricity, the battery wouldn't cover all our usage (2 electric cars and the house battery). I think if I tried to do everything in that 4 or 5 hour window, I might overload the main fuse.

Actually Gomev, I have to thank you for the above comment, because it got me thinking about usage patterns. I've only recently upgraded my battery to 12kWh after a complaint about my 8kWh reduced capacity under warranty.

I've gone with Eon and their Next Drive Fixed tarrif which gives 7 hours off peak at £0.095, and peak at £0.3237. The 12kWh battery should easily cover this period.

I'll be on their Next Flex tarrif for a couple of weeks while they set everything up.

It starts on 1st October, but in the mean time, I'm going to see how the battery performs using 7 hours off peak instead of 10. I'll post my results when I get some data. :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom