Increasing in Value 😊

Joe McAndrew

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
So after 5 months and 3400 miles We Buy Any Car are now offering more for my car than I paid for it. I suspected this could happen after the recent reduction in Plug In Grant and the continued lack of supply but nonetheless it's truly is a 1st for me in 30+ years of car ownership.

I bought my car Excite as 1 day old pre-registered with 16 miles for £20,950. As of this afternoon it was worth £21,000.

That's incredible- but as you say possibly not as surprising at it first seems when you factor everything into account. It makes me think that I should get a valuation on my long range (once it actually arrives) when the face lift model comes out next year- just to see the difference!

That's incredible- but as you say possibly not as surprising at it first seems when you factor everything into account. It makes me think that I should get a valuation on my long range (once it actually arrives) when the face lift model comes out next year- just to see the difference!
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing too!

These numbers are crazy, but also don't benefit many since what will you do after selling the car, if you still need a car? It's not profit unless you take it.

Same problem with housing. My place has gone up over 20% in value since the beginning of the pandemic but I can't move because everywhere is equally unaffordable.

All of these just add more to inflation numbers. The 1970s suddenly seem to be repeating.

So after 5 months and 3400 miles We Buy Any Car are now offering more for my car than I paid for it. I suspected this could happen after the recent reduction in Plug In Grant and the continued lack of supply but nonetheless it's truly is a 1st for me in 30+ years of car ownership.

I bought my car Excite as 1 day old pre-registered with 16 miles for £20,950. As of this afternoon it was worth £21,000.
Hi
I think we buy any car have guess o meters too
I just had to see what mine was worth for the laugh
I have a 12 week old Mg5 LR exclusive in white
I purchased it for £24690 with government grant and affinity scheme (24/9/21)
I’ve done 1165 miles
We buy any car valuation price £23500 (24/12/21)
So the excite models must hold their value better 😂
Let’s see if other people come up with different valuations
I wonder if the valuation works on which area you live in like housing 😂
Cheers
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Just remember when you take your in for valuation WBAC etc will start knocking £s off for every flaw thay can find. You proberly end up getting less then a dealer would offer.

Yeah I’ve heard that about wbac
But I was just curious how much mine would be
I’ll not be getting rid of it anytime soon
Loving it
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Just remember when you take your in for valuation WBAC etc will start knocking £s off for every flaw thay can find. You proberly end up getting less then a dealer would offer

Just remember when you take your in for valuation WBAC etc will start knocking £s off for every flaw thay can find. You proberly end up getting less then a dealer would offer.
WBAC gave me £2500 more than the dealer offered me. No brainer.

I think WBAC would be fine if your bodywork is in perfect condition. A few years ago they quoted me £1500 for a (at the time) 9 year old Seat Ibiza with 180,000 miles on the clock. I ended up with £800 as for every slight blemish that didn't disappear with a bit of a spit and wipe (the things you could do pre Covid!) £10 was deducted. I had no choice as I had arranged to pick up my new car (private sale) on the same day and didn't want to mess the seller around. That car then died 2 weeks later- catastrophic engine failure when the head gasket went. I have had much better luck since buying my Nissan Leaf and am hoping for the same with the MG5!

Took a previous car to WBAC they only gave fair condition price because every minor blemish, most of which could have been removed by a good quality valet marked it down.

Bearing in mind the "book price" (Parkers or Glass's) for any particular model is for its basic spec the fact that the car had some £4500 of factory extras was completely irrelevant as far as the assessor was concerned.

When I made this point on TrustPilot they tried to make out I hadn't been a customer. They shut up when I sent the PDF of the booking.

Did my year old MG5 on WBAC as I may change it soon. It’s an Exclusive with the “special“ paint, 22k miles. I was offered £19,500

I went through that process with all the different "we buy your car" type companies and found Cazoo to be the best price. Way over what WBAC offered and £500 over book price. They came and collected it (FOC after a scheduling faff but normally £75,) and they deposited the cash straight into my bank after a literal 5 minute inspection to assure the mileage was within 1000miles of my claimed mileage on getting the valuation. Very, very efficient process and really would recommend getting a quote from them too, if you're seriously considering handing your ICE car in. Probably better than px'ing with a dealer I reckon.

Sold my Ford Ranger when the MG5 turned up, put it on autotrader and sold it within 12hrs for £5k more than wbac were offering and a nice profit for me too. Prices are nuts at the moment
That's probably a fairly unique scenario as pickup trucks are in very short supply. In work Ford have quoted us 24 months plus for delivery on a number of commercial Rangers and the other brands were not far off that.

Paid £21,390 for my MG5 in April and got £24,750 for it.
Have now bought a Long Range, cost £250 to upgrade 😁
The market has moved very quickly, add to that the January price increases and the Government's reduced grant by £1000, and I think we may have seen the last of the "cheap" MG5 so congratulations to everyone who took the plunge 🙂

I assume everyone has bought there's through affinity? I can't get anywhere near these prices.

I will probably get shot down for what I'm about to say but I'm going to say it anyway.
I believe everyone is entitled to there own opinion. Right or wrong.
I believe the affinity scheme is totally unfair and I'm not saying that because I'm not inttiteld to it. I can afford the car even at there inflated prices. Everyone likes a bargain.
There are many hard working low paid people out there that deserve recognition.
I charge a flat rate weather my customers are multi millionaire's or don't have two pennies to rub together.

I know someone that fits home cinemas and entertainment systems for a living. He told me he just plucks a figure out of the air and people always agree to pay as they have no idea what there buying and just want the best.
He then accused me of charging to much because I had just bought a new van for £15000. His was also new and cost over £40000.
Four years on I now need to replace that van as it's worn out so no doubt I will have the same argument with him again.
If you're wondering my day rate is only £160 a day before tax and over expenses and my day is normally 7 till 7 6 days a week.

Neither of mine were purchased through Affinity as our local garage isn't in the scheme, although I'm a public sector worker. You just have to be quick when you see a bargain, as they get snapped up very quickly now the world knows how good they are 🙂

I knew they were a bargain at the time. I hesitated to long and lost out. My own fault.
The market is rather strange at the moment. Not one dealer has got back to me as there shifting them so fast they don't need to do the extra leg work to shift them.

I knew they were a bargain at the time. I hesitated to long and lost out. My own fault.
The market is rather strange at the moment. Not one dealer has got back to me as there shifting them so fast they don't need to do the extra leg work to shift them.
Totally agree.
I'm in Carlisle, I had to go to South Shields for my first one and PORTSMOUTH for this one 😆

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom