Indicator lag?

dragon2611

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Noticed this when running "Magic Earth" on an Android AI box (Emulates CarPlay) on the Preface lift MG5.

Magic earth switches the audio mode to Call/Voice just before announcing a direction and if you are indicating there is a blip/lag on both the animation for the indicator symbol on the drivers display and the click noise.

I think I've seen this with other Navigation apps using actual CarPlay with an iOS device also, but it was more noticeable with this one.

I'm not sure if it also upsets the flashing sequence externally or not as It's not really something I can watch when driving.

Is the click even an actual relay or is it just simulated though the speakers?

A bit worrying something happening on the infotainment could affect other systems if it is indeed upsetting the flash sequence.

I have experienced what you are commenting on but I think it is only the audible signal that is "interrupted", not the actual external, visual signal. I've not seen any lag in the visual display on the driver's screen, I think.

I tried to verify this once by having my car parked, switched on, with its bonnet close to my garage door, activating the direction indicators (and click) and having the Infotainment system "interrupt" the click. Try as I might I could not provoke the interruption so gave up!

As to whether the click is an actual relay or just simulated, my feeling is it is the latter.

It's noise from the speakers, in the 4 and facelifted versions of the 5 and ZS I believe there is even a volume control for it.

Ended up removing magic earth from the android AI box thing, not sure if it's related to its use of the Voice mode before playing audio, but it seems to cause the infotainment to lock-up requiring me to hold the button in the middle to reboot it.

It breaks the reverse camera, so it's not the android box locking up, oddly magic earth running on my iphone using wireless carplay (via the same box) works fine, but then it uses the navigation audio channel rather than the voice one.

The "AI" box is OK for wireless carplay but as a standalone device it's definitely underpowered and some of the things they've presumably done to android to make it work seem a bit kludgy.

I’m pretty sure on my pre-facelift MG5 you can reset the radio (press and hold in the volume button for about 10 seconds) or exit the maintenance (CANBUS) screen and the audio for the indicators stops even though the lights are still blinking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom