Indicators keep flashing (blind spot alert)

daz1964

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Good morning to all. My car is a MG 4 trophy 2023 model.Can any one tell me why my indicators flash every time a vehicle passed by my car, is this a safety feature and if so can I turn it off it's starting to annoy me thank you Daz

Good morning to all. My car is a MG 4 trophy 2023 model.Can any one tell me why my indicators flash every time a vehicle passed by my car, is this a safety feature and if so can I turn it off it's starting to annoy me thank you Daz
Might be worth posting this in the MG4 forum but I think like a lot of new cars the wing mirrors flash to alert you to a car in your blind spot.

Not sure if you can turn this off. I have an MG5 which does not have this.

Thank you. I think it might be worth phoning MG dealer asking them? Thanks again. D
Yep hopefully the dealer will be able to assist. Then again they do not often know any more. lol

Might be in the manual?

Yep, it's the car's way of letting you know that someone is passing you, and they may be in your blind spot.
I found it was a bit disconcerting the first few journeys, but I've soon got used to it and now quite like it.
I haven't found any way to turn it off - I would be surprised if you could, it is a safety feature after all, even though some of the other safety features can be disabled.

Its a warning to you not other drivers to tell you a car is in your blind spot.

Yep, it's the car's way of letting you know that someone is passing you, and they may be in your blind spot.
I found it was a bit disconcerting the first few journeys, but I've soon got used to it and now quite like it.
I haven't found any way to turn it off - I would be surprised if you could, it is a safety feature after all, even though some of the other safety features can be disabled.
I like it now but like you it took me a while to get used to

First week of owning the car when it lit up I thought it was me putting the indicator on by mistake. 😂

Note that if you're trying to get out and have popped the door handle while a vehicle is approaching, the mirror flashes even faster and the car also bongs at you as a warning.

Is this the Blind Spot feature in the mirror people are talking about.
Or actually the indicators flashing? (is it just the wing mirror one flashing, or all of them?)

I've noticed the latter when stationary at lights, and the lane next to me is moving...

Is this the Blind Spot feature in the mirror people are talking about.
Or actually the indicators flashing? (is it just the wing mirror one flashing, or all of them?)

I've noticed the latter when stationary at lights, and the lane next to me is moving...
The indicators flashing is a warning to other cars that you are stopped incase they run into the back of you.
It is over sensative and likely to confuse other drivers. You can turn this feature off so the indicators no longer flash

Good afternoon thank you so much for your advice getting used to it now thank you DAZ

It can be turned of under the MGPilot tab
Pretty sure it can't be switched off.

What you can switch off in MG Pilot is Rear Cross Traffic Alert, an alerting system for when you are reversing. The annoying rapid flashing of the indicators when a car passes you closely is different and there appears to be no means of disabling it.

I get it when stopped at traffic lights and a car passes in the adjacent lane and they look at you wondering the hell you are doing.

Good evening I try not to look at it now. people look at you like you are trying to tell them something I am just going to live with it because I really like the car thank you for your response all the best D

Attachments

• 20240121_112537.jpg
    20240121_112537.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 39
You need to turn off rear collision warning. See my photo below
See previous thread on this: Hazard Lights Flashing

The RCW is supposed to flash the brake lights and sound an alarm.

The proximity warning via the indicators sounds no alarm and the afaik the brake lights do not flash. And it flashes for cars passing closely to the side of you.

I have not actually noticed this. Is it a peculiarly Trophy thing, or am I just unobservant?
I have a trophy. I don't know if its on the other models but since I turned it off my indicators don't flash if a car is approaching fast to then peel away on a slip road or change lanes

I have not actually noticed this. Is it a peculiarly Trophy thing, or am I just unobservant?
Yes it's another of those things (Blind Spot Detection, Lane change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Door Open Warning) that are on the Trophy but not the SE 😁

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back