Infotainment - music library

D

Deleted member 7134

Strange question - but is there a way to connect a device (USB etc.) and have the headunit play audio files from it? I know you can play audio from your phone using Carplay or Auto, but in my current (old) car I just have my entire music library (except for a few of other half's dodgy albums) on an SD card and the car plays from that. Anything similar possible in the MG5?

To pre-empt a couple of questions, no, my phone's no good, too small capacity (crappy moto g). I can always upgrade the phone of course, but rather short on cash at the moment. Any more innovative solutions using stuff I might already have, USB drives etc.

I guess what I'm asking is will the headunit play audio (MP3) files from a USB thumb drive?

Marvellous, cheers, couldn't find any info on infotainment in the manual.

Ah, not got car yet, getting ahead of myself 🤭

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange question - but is there a way to connect a device (USB etc.) and have the headunit play audio files from it? I know you can play audio from your phone using Carplay or Auto, but in my current (old) car I just have my entire music library (except for a few of other half's dodgy albums) on an SD card and the car plays from that. Anything similar possible in the MG5?

To pre-empt a couple of questions, no, my phone's no good, too small capacity (crappy moto g). I can always upgrade the phone of course, but rather short on cash at the moment. Any more innovative solutions using stuff I might already have, USB drives etc.
Yes there are USB sockets in the front that will play media, music and video from a usb device.

as a heads up, i had the same idea and had a lovely 128GB usb stick full of mp3s but note that there are limits on the number of files it shows(see limits on files ) and also the inbuilt unit is a bit slow.

i have resorted to using Android Auto all the time, works seamlessly for me and i can voice control from the steering wheel and its fast etc but obviously thats phone based to your original post
i still have a USB stick in the car, but its only for videos that the kids watch when we are parked up etc

i just thought worth sharing my experience

as a heads up, i had the same idea and had a lovely 128GB usb stick full of mp3s but note that there are limits on the number of files it shows(see limits on files ) and also the inbuilt unit is a bit slow.

i have resorted to using Android Auto all the time, works seamlessly for me and i can voice control from the steering wheel and its fast etc but obviously thats phone based to your original post
i still have a USB stick in the car, but its only for videos that the kids watch when we are parked up etc

i just thought worth sharing my experience
Cheers, will do some test when I actually get the car but glad it works in principle :)

I have put my favourite CD's ( yes I am one of those that still have hundreds) on a memory stick (16Gb). I plugged this in to one of the USB sockets in the front under the sliding cover. Works fine but finding and selecting tracks or albums on the move is a bit fiddly - not really recommended. But I have made up play lists etc. Down side is that this lovely dampened sliding cover can no longer be closed unless you remove the stick every time you leave the vehicle.

I have put my favourite CD's ( yes I am one of those that still have hundreds) on a memory stick (16Gb). I plugged this in to one of the USB sockets in the front under the sliding cover. Works fine but finding and selecting tracks or albums on the move is a bit fiddly - not really recommended. But I have made up play lists etc. Down side is that this lovely dampened sliding cover can no longer be closed unless you remove the stick every time you leave the vehicle.
I tend to play whole albums at a time, I'm old-fashioned like that, assume that's easy enough with this setup?

I tend to play whole albums at a time, I'm old-fashioned like that, assume that's easy enough with this setup?
Yes playing complete albums is very straightforward. It is not too difficult to make your own play lists. Using a lap top of desk top computer. Just name a folder on the stick and copy and paste the tunes you want. Most of my albums are greatest hits and songs of the 60's, 70's, 80's so you can get some really good lists that are special to you. I know this is really basic stuff for some but for me it is cutting edge!

Hi Tommy. Can you install a micro SD card in your Moto G because you could store MP3s on that. If not, the USB memory stick mothod will work fine.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom