Infotainment screen fail

Big Al

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
My infotainment screen is changing pages by its self. just keeps bouncing between the home page and the 2nd icon page. I cant interact with it and re-boots have made no difference. Anyone else had the same?

Dealer says new head unit is required

Looks like there is more and more issues poping out with MG4.

Do you believe it is rushed batch to get it to eu or no treating done? Or in general this is the price what have to be paid for cheap EV?

Looks like there is more and more issues poping out with MG4.

Do you believe it is rushed batch to get it to eu or no treating done? Or in general this is the price what have to be paid for cheap EV?
Maybe it got rushed out a bit, but VW spent an age testing the ID.3 then had to make loads without consumer software loaded.

It's usual to have some faults with all brand new cars. It's been going up with the technology in modern vehicles.
2022 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) a few years back it was less than 100 faults for top brands.

My infotainment screen is changing pages by its self. just keeps bouncing between the home page and the 2nd icon page. I cant interact with it and re-boots have made no difference. Anyone else had the same?

Dealer says new head unit is required
I’ve got exactly the same issue, did you get a resolve? Or was it a full head unit replacement?

Took delivery of my Trophy on Wed 7th June and the infotainment screen went on the blink 2 days later, as described above. Went into a local dealer on 16th and was there half a day. They did 13 software updates*, but I was informed that the infotainment screen fix was a separate file that had to be requested from MG and they didn't have it and it would be quicker to go to their other location, who already had the file. I managed to get there today (30th, first available service slot). After an hour, a technician told me it was all done and ready to go. Great! So, the screen looked sorted and I was able to put the radio on, which worked great until I thought I'd try the satnav as well. As soon as I selected the satnav, the radio went off and refused to come back on. Hmm, so I tried the screen reset by pressing the home button for 10 secs. The unit immediately returned to the original fault state, i.e. a flashing screen with nothing working, including the reversing camera. The technician had clearly not tested it properly.

Got to wait another week now for the next service slot.

So, not impressed with MG 4 ownership so far or the dealer experience. At least the orange looks nice in the sunshine!

Anybody know how long you have to give the dealer/manufacturer to fix an issue, before you can return the car? I hope that it doesn't come to that, but I'm really not happy and not filled with confidence.

*And at least the updates fixed the plainly dangerous "lane keep assist"!

Update on the the dodgy screen...

It started working properly yesterday and has continued to work properly today. All the functions are available and everything. Really puzzled?!? Has it rebooted itself or something? Anybody else experienced similar?

It's due back in the dealership tomorrow, but thinking of cancelling now. The screen shows that it's on R33 software.

It started working properly yesterday and has continued to work properly today. All the functions are available and everything. Really puzzled?!? Has it rebooted itself or something? Anybody else experienced similar?

It's due back in the dealership tomorrow, but thinking of cancelling now. The screen shows that it's on R33 software.
R33 is the latest software dealers are currently installing.

It can just start working again, others have reported that. Sometimes after updates the whole car can be a bit unsettled and take time to sort itself out.

I'd give the dealer a ring and ask their opinion suggesting that you might wait and see if it happens again. At least the problem has been logged.

I cancelled the appointment this morning and the dealer said they'd let me know what software revision they have, just in case they have R40.

Fingers-crossed, it's fixed. However, given the time it's taken to get this far, I've also got an appointment with another more local dealer next Thursday, that I actually made 3 weeks ago, before I got it in the other place! So, I'll monitor it over the next few days.

Other than the screen issue, got to say that I'm loving the car and now with all the controls (finally) being available, it's really great 👍. Yet to do a really long journey.

They seem to be very popular - I've seen loads of them on the roads over the last few weeks.

So on mine I managed to re-set it by catching the radio button in between it flicking from one side to the other and this re-calibrated the screw and had no issue with this problem since.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back