Infotainment system fault

MGZSev

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
MG ZS ev Excite
Infotainment system cuts out for approx 10 seconds when driving. This is an intermittent problem. Has happened about 3 times in the 2 months I’ve owned this car. 2020/21 model.

Have you looked at any of the previous threads on this?
Some examples:

Mine sometimes is slow to boot up at start, but it's not cut out whilst driving so far (touch wood).

MG ZS ev Excite
Infotainment system cuts out for approx 10 seconds when driving. This is an intermittent problem. Has happened about 3 times in the 2 months I’ve owned this car. 2020/21 model.

Mines been doing that intermittently ever since I got it too It goes blank for around 5 seconds then comes back on & alls fine again.

MG ZS ev Excite
Mine was given an update by my dealer and is much better after that.

Mines been doing that intermittently ever since I got it too It goes blank for around 5 seconds then comes back on & alls fine again.
Same here, known common problem.
My car is over two years old and has covered about 18,000 miles.
I would say the info unit has crashed in different levels, about 10 times since owning the car.
Some times it is very brief, when you get the “Black screen of death” and a few seconds later, the coloured screen returns.
Other times it has completely crashed and rebooted itself.
Once while using the Sat - Nav on a journey home, the screen crashed and returned, but the spoken audio directions failed.
A full power down of the car and a reboot brought it back to life !.
There is a software update available for the ZS EV ( Gen1) - I think it’s covered on MG service bulletin SA 0021.
It’s a very small update that is done via the USB port at the dealership.
This update was intended to elevate the system crashing and improve the lag when using the touch screen.

My Outlander cuts out on a regular basis. I blame DAB. Always comes back on to Absolute radio then I have to change back to my favourite Smooth Country

I have the death screen today. Tried all suggested remedies but still no infotainment.
MG logo comes up for about 20 seconds, tries to rotate and stops then disappears from view. Will take it to dealer tomorrow.
interestingly, the indicator sounds are working fine but stop as soon as MG logo comes up and the restart when it disappears. Never had this on an ICE.

I have the death screen today. Tried all suggested remedies but still no infotainment.
MG logo comes up for about 20 seconds, tries to rotate and stops then disappears from view. Will take it to dealer tomorrow.
interestingly, the indicator sounds are working fine but stop as soon as MG logo comes up and the restart when it disappears. Never had this on an ICE.
Have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery terminal for about 20 mins, than reconnect, to see if it clears the fault ?.
Worth a go I guess ???.

Yes did that. Result was multiple failure on restart Hill hold, and about 5 other items came up and car would not move even in D. Now after many restarts back to normal but still got blank infotainment screen

MG ZS ev Excite
I have had repeated problems with this, especially on long drives. Most of the time it happens when CarPlay is being used, perhaps because I use the Apple Maps and Apple Music apps all the time.

Car had not done more that 500 miles since we got it, and is going to the dealer garage next week for a battery reset to see if it fixes the issue.

Booked into Bath dealership next week, interestingly this the first one they have seen.

Booked into Bath dealership next week, interestingly this the first one they have seen.
I can not even begin to count the number of times i have been told "This is nothing we have seen before" just to, later discover that what i had, was a well known bug or defect, that was certainly known.

This has happened, both with cars, and other things.

Generally the "We never saw that before" is to make it appear that this is just a random problem, that only affects you, and not a more general problem, usually due to poor components or craftmanship when the product was build.

Atleast in my opinion.

maybe it is automatically doing the "turn it off and on again" when it detects a problem... in my opinion I would rather it do this than error and force me to pull over and do something to it. Maybe the OPs car needs to go in for a software update.

I can not even begin to count the number of times i have been told "This is nothing we have seen before" just to, later discover that what i had, was a well known bug or defect, that was certainly known.

Generally the "We never saw that before" is to make it appear that this is just a random problem, that only affects you, and not a more general problem, usually due to poor components or craftmanship when the product was build.

Atleast in my opinion.

When a garage tells me they have never seen it before i am usually like "That must be nice for you... Now how about you see it now and fix it" :ROFLMAO:

How do you get these updates ?
I got the ZS exclusive and these doing funny things on screen. Goes on and off and reversing camera freezes so have to boot the screen.
There is a small software update available for the info unit in the ZS EV Gen1.
The main dealer will apply it for you, it is done via a USB stick, plus their diag computer.
Takes about 30 minutes to complete I am informed.
Not 100% sure here, so don’t quote me on it, but I have a number SA0021 spinning around in my mind, as the dealer service bulletin number from MG appertaining to this issue.
The software upgrade is intended to reduce the number of info screen issues / crashing that is evident on the ZS EV Gen 1.
It’s a known issue and has been present, since the ZS EV Gen 1 was first released in 2019.
I reported to my suppling dealer, about 2 weeks after collecting our car.
It can be over come by holding down the centre silver button on the info head unit for about 10 seconds, this will force a master reboot of the head unit.
I believe the MG5 has a similar issue, but to a lesser degree.

Atleast in my opinion.
Totally agree. I worked in an industry used to seeing Chinese built equipment fail on a regular basis or not built to our standards and have to be rewired before we could use it safely. I kid you not. I bought this car based on the faith that others have in it. I hope they are not wrong. I too am experiencing intermittent infotainment operation problems which I hope do not escalate into something more annoying.

MG ZS ev Excite
Yes happened 3 times during a 6000km trip. Also the safety warnings have done the same (but at different times)

constant issues with my infotainment unit in my MG HS. Had it in for various unrelated problems(screen washers ceasing to work and pipes or cables coming loose) and had them look at it before. They seem to run updates and that is the limit of their investigation.

It has culminated in today the unit telling me it is -40 outside and the climate/hvac screen ceasing to work. I can still control the system manually with the buttons below but these constant is genuinely destroying my enjoyment of the car and considering getting rid.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom