Infotainment updates

Susanna

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
It would appear that MG4s have had a few updates to their infotainment, and I was wondering if anyone has had their MG ZSs infotainment ‘updated’.

I recently had the first service on my car, and requested updates to the VCU EVCC CCU BMS and BCM modules. Since I have very little idea what most of these actually do, I wondered whether anything else on the car would be updated. I can now utilise V2L with the car off and locked, so that module certainly was.

The infotainment still shows the same version number, so obviously not! I wonder whether we will ever get the OTA updates for this, as promised?

Infotainment updates are over the 'Air'. As of last week the update was still the old one from earlier this year.
This is the website I use for Updates.
Benutzerhandbücher
I don't know if this will bring you to the relevant website for the UK. You need to put in your Vin number to get the relevant infotainment update.
Scroll down to find your car
Kartenupdate Q1 2023 – Comfort edition
or
Kartenupdate Q1 2023 – Luxury edition
click the download button on the right side this will load a PDF file in English, read and follow the instructions.
You will need an empty formatted USB stick once the download is complete to copy the update to.

Ah, sorry. I didn’t mean for the sat nav - I should have been clearer. I just meant for the infotainment software. Mine ends in R16; I just wondered whether there was an update available as nothing changed when the car was serviced.

Thanks anyway!

@Susanna ... R19 is the version my 22 ZS LR got updated to a couple of months ago when I had the 'Tesla' batch update done ... still no DAB radio icons though :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my first service last week and they did an update for the radio. Fingers crossed, but so far the radio has yet to cut out. (No DAB icons either but as long as the radio keeps working then I'm happy)

First service last Tuesday, all updates done. Everything works still. Yet to try charging on Tesla superchargers, will get around to it in the next few days.

I had my 2020 Gen 1 ZS EV serviced for the third time & first MOT last week, The service guy said it's had two updates, One to the touch screen & no idea what the other one was!
It still doesn#t charge unless the doors are locked & it's still on 455V.
I was cleaning it in the garage & took a few pics of the software version (if they're the right ones!!!) It's always had he DAB ICONS if these are the ones you mean.

8JUeumGl.jpg

tSC2DWDl.jpg

552nIOdl.jpg

k9oUSTTl.jpg

No they're meant to be like @gus 's ... ZS gen 2 infotainment system ... have asked for Beaconsfield service guys to ask MG UK about what's needed before it's 1st service on Friday morning ...

1702910620832.png

Hmm ... so specifically asked (at time of booking in last week) for DAB logos to be sorted at service this morning ... was assured that the FCIM was updated and info screen does show R23 now - but no icons appeared ! ... at least service manager was sufficiently intrigued to come back out at car and look and take photos to send to MG UK Tech Support and ask why ! ... will report back with any news :-(

Given the chip shortage situation a while back, I somehow get the feeling that certain batches of head units are lacking in the ability to display the radio station logo’s etc.
Therefore it’s could be hardware issue and not a software issue.
Otherwise all cars would be the same surely.
Manufactures tend to have at least two maybe three different suppliers for most items.
This maybe the reason why there is an anomaly between different head units ?.
I had a similar situation on a VW Golf.
The car ( X demo ) was equipped with the optional higher grade info unit, at an extra cost of £1,700 but it lacked the coloured display for the radio station logo’s.
But the same car in the showroom, which had the basic unit, did have the feature ?.
After speaking to VW CS - I was told that although the car WAS equipped with the more expensive unit, it was a feature that could only be rectified by upgrading the whole head unit, to the latest spec.
It was not upgradable via software.
The car was one of the first cars to leave the production line and it lacked certain features.
It also lacked the ability to communicate with my phone via a basic App.
No module fitted on the first batch of cars.
I have seen this before, when first batch cars get shipped minus some features.

So back at dealers for the DAB update and seems they have a list of things from MG UK to try - guess they aren't too sure themselves ! ... not holding my breath !

UPDATE: so software check (on R23) and hard reset requested by MG UK hasn't worked so dealer pushing back to them to say what to do next - possibility of headunit needing to go back to MG in Longbridge for checking on bench apparently ! ... let's wait and see what they say ...

Given the chip shortage situation a while back, I somehow get the feeling that certain batches of head units are lacking in the ability to display the radio station logo’s etc.
Therefore it’s could be hardware issue and not a software issue.
Otherwise all cars would be the same surely.
Manufactures tend to have at least two maybe three different suppliers for most items.
This maybe the reason why there is an anomaly between different head units ?.
I had a similar situation on a VW Golf.
The car ( X demo ) was equipped with the optional higher grade info unit, at an extra cost of £1,700 but it lacked the coloured display for the radio station logo’s.
But the same car in the showroom, which had the basic unit, did have the feature ?.
After speaking to VW CS - I was told that although the car WAS equipped with the more expensive unit, it was a feature that could only be rectified by upgrading the whole head unit, to the latest spec.
It was not upgradable via software.
The car was one of the first cars to leave the production line and it lacked certain features.
It also lacked the ability to communicate with my phone via a basic App.
No module fitted on the first batch of cars.
I have seen this before, when first batch cars get shipped minus some features.
Good points ... mine's a December 22 reg so not a first batch mk.2/facelift AFAIK ...

Last edited:
Good points ... mine's a December 22 reg so not a first batch mk.2/facelift AFAIK ...
We have a March 22 Trophy LR model and it does not display the coloured radio stations in the display either.
Would be nice to have, but not loosing any sleep over it TBH.
It had an info update performed at the time of its first service last year.
Since then I don’t think it is as stable as it was before.
It had no issues prior, but sometimes now it tends to default to the Sat nav screen on boot up.
When this happens, it fails to locate any radio stations.
Holding down the “home” button on the head unit for about 10 seconds will reboot the whole system, but it’s really annoying having to do this on the move.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom