Initial thoughts and questions

Ianm1969

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So, picked up the Zs Ev long range on Tuesday, looks nice, drives fantastic and a steep learning curve. Overall, wifey and I are genuinely happy with it.

Few little issues though which I have not managed to figure out, even after trawling through here, the manual and the rest of the internet. Any help, greatly appreciated.

1) sat nav, there is an option to alert for speed cameras which is switched on but doesnt alert at all. It will tell me when approaching a school zone though.

2) automatic wipers. I have absolutely no idea how these are supposed to work.

3) public charging points. Decided to pop out to see how they work. Is it always the case that PHEV cars hog them for hours. I havent managed to try that yet.

4) is there a way to just turn the radio screen off.

5) is there a list of software upgrades available to make sure mine is completely up to date?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

So, picked up the Zs Ev long range on Tuesday, looks nice, drives fantastic and a steep learning curve. Overall, wifey and I are genuinely happy with it.

Few little issues though which I have not managed to figure out, even after trawling through here, the manual and the rest of the internet. Any help, greatly appreciated.

1) sat nav, there is an option to alert for speed cameras which is switched on but doesn't alert at all. It will tell me when approaching a school zone though.

3) public charging points. Decided to pop out to see how they work. Is it always the case that PHEV cars hog them for hours. I haven't managed to try that yet.

5) is there a list of software upgrades available to make sure mine is completely up to date?

Hey

Sadly still waiting for mine but have been on here for many months trying to prep for the day it arrives. I have also been checking out charge points whenever I go somewhere.

2 - The automatic wipers should come on when it rains but I have seen a few people post on here that they are but rubbish at coming on. My last few cars had these and different models were good and bad. My current car is terrible so I always have to turn them on manually.

3 - From watching when I go places i have noticed it to be hit and miss with chargers being hogged for hours. As I am sure you have seen there are currently loads of apps out there but one like Zapmap and Bonnett tell you if the charger is free or not. This at least allows you to head to a charger not in use.

Hope this helps.
PS i am jealous yours is here :)

1) sat nav, there is an option to alert for speed cameras which is switched on but doesnt alert at all. It will tell me when approaching a school zone though.

3) public charging points. Decided to pop out to see how they work. Is it always the case that PHEV cars hog them for hours. I havent managed to try that yet.

Hi and welcome,
I am not sure a PHEV will be connected for long as they only have small batteries.
You will get a few apps that you will use to find your favourite charge points and most tell you if it is available.

2) When in Auto, the wiper system senses the amount of rain and operates the wipers at a rate that matches the rainfall. Mine works OK but others say it isn't too reliable so switch to manual.

5) The dealer will have this information but they almost certainly won't reveal it to you. They are nevertheless obliged at PDI and Service to do a full scan and apply any outstanding mandatory updates.

Welcome and enjoy. Traded my 2 year old gen 1 ZSEV for a LRTC which I collected on Monday so I'm still finding things about the new one too.

1) Satnav - haven't got to this yet
2)Auto wipers are a bit hit and miss but generally do an adequate job
3) Charging etiquette, I find is deteriorating. My view is that even on destination chargers it is courtesy to move the car off charge when it is full. Far too often PHEV and BEV drivers leave cars plugged in well beyond full. I know there will be times when the driver wants to balance the battery which really should be the only exception to staying on a charger beyond full.
4) Radio screen is part of home screen which I don't think can be changed. Radio off button is all I've found so far
5) There is another thread about this and a member is contacting his dealer for a list which he will share when available.

Enjoy

Just got mine and loving it.
To switch off radio just hold down far left hand black button for a few seconds till goes off. Use this button also to reboot infotainment system if it crashes (mine does now and again).

2) Automatic wipers is one knotch up from the buttom position.

4) On the RHS of the steering wheel is a button with a star on it, press that and you'll get a menu pop up on screen (unless you've changed that customizable button) with several options including hill decent control, screen brightness and screen off.
It's very useful as even at the lowest brightness it's still bright!
I also find the centre console screen doesn't remember it's preset brightness so I just slide the brightness up and back down and it dims down.

Thanks everyone. Very informative.

Does anyone think there will ever be an update to allow voice control on the trophy just like the trophy connect? If not, can android auto do things like close the sunroof? The car is so relaxing to drive, i am already getting too lazy to physically push buttons 🤣

If you swipe down from the very top of the infotainment screen you get straight into a quick access menu and can turn off the screen.

Can be handy to get to Bluetooth too.

Thanks everyone. Very informative.

Does anyone think there will ever be an update to allow voice control on the trophy just like the trophy connect? If not, can android auto do things like close the sunroof? The car is so relaxing to drive, i am already getting too lazy to physically push buttons 🤣
No as the connect has a extra ecu the trophy and se do not.
That why they have different versions of software

I was told the twist nob controls the automatic wiper speed, was working for me either way but it was absolutely pouring down when I did the test drive.

I was told the twist nob controls the automatic wiper speed, was working for me either way but it was absolutely pouring down when I did the test drive.
I believe the twist is supposed to control the "sensitivity" of the auto wipers but, along with many others, mine are absolute c###

Rained today and wipers worked thankfully. Still haven't managed to figure out how to get speed camera alerts to work. Also in mg pilot, it won't let me choose the speed assist options. I can click it but it never changes from off.

Will be over the moon if I can get answers on those.

Speed assist (where it reads the speed sign) can't be on at the same time MG pilot is in.

On the Home screen swipe right to get the extra options. Then select Vehicle> MG Pilot > then in the right side slide it up to find the speed assist option.

Speed control mode has to be turned on via this flow every time you turn on the car.

Turn it on to intelligent, push the MG pilot stalk away from you (towards the bonet) and press the Set button.

As mentioned once you switch off the car it turns off, if you turn on MG pilot it turns off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom