Initial thoughts on HS PHEV having come from a Golf GTE

mmarksx19

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
First post here.
I had owned a 2018 VW Golf GTE Advance for over a year and travelled 12000 miles in it.
As it was over 3 years old and out of warranty, I decided to look around for a replacement.

I came across a 5 month old MG HS PHEV Exclusive in black and was offered £4,000 more for the golf than I paid for it so the cost to change was about £4,500 and of course it had 6.5 years warranty remaining which was my reason to look.

I had a brief test drive to ensure I was comfortable and did the deal, collecting the car yesterday.

I've only done about 100 miles in it and all on petrol but I thought I would write my initial thoughts which might be useful to anyone else considering changing their GTE and also whilst I remembered the Golf!

So here are my initial thought. Bear in mind I don't know the new car very well YET.

The HS has a lot more space than the Golf. Rear seat space and the boot are a class above. Whilst not a big car, the extra space is a bonus and makes it much more practical on a day to day basis. The boot in the Golf was particularly small. Talking of boots, the storage under the boot floor for the granny charger is great. In the Golf, there is nowhere to store cables except in the boot itself.

The granny charger has a very short mains lead compared to the Golf. This means it has to sit on the ground unless I build some sort of housing for it which will then make it less easy to travel with. The Golf charging point was in the middle of the front grille which meant I could park the car either way round and charge it. With the MG charge port being on the drivers side, I can only charge it if I park one way. Not the end of the world but a slight limitation.

Both cars have a claimed 31 mile electric range yet the HS battery is twice the capacity of the Golf. As I mentioned, I haven't used it under electric power yet but to me this means either the Golf was a lot more advanced/efficient using electric power or I should get much closer to the advertised range in the HS. I think I used to get about 20-24 miles out of the Golf on electric with no heater on. The heater would reduce the range by about a 3rd.

The performance of the 2 cars seems on par. The MG is bigger and heavier but more powerful. Neither are sports cars but I have been up and down motorways and overtaken in both and not found them lacking.

The MG seems to absorb bumps better, the Golf was more 'sporty'. I presume this is due to the higher profile tyres on the HS and the Golf being built as a sporty alternative to the GTI. Both are comfortable and day to day driving are fine.

The MG has a LOT more equipment. Obviously it is 3 years newer but the Golf, despite being the top spec model didn't have as many toys. So far, the extra toys I have noticed are the sunroof which is huge, camera (the Golf just has sensors), leather seats which look and feel very nice, electric tailgate, keyless entry and start, blind spot warning and a variety of safety tech.

The interior quality of the MG doesn't seem any less than that of the Golf which is a premium brand. There are a lot of soft touch surfaces, padded surfaces and everything seems well put together.

The Golf had various EV modes - EV, hybrid, battery hold, battery charge whereas on the HS I can only really see EV on or off unless I'm missing something. The Golf had a GTE button for extra power but I never used it!

The Golf had paddles to change gear which the HS doesn't. I never really used them so no loss there.

Infotainment wise, they seem to have the same features. The Golf also had a digital dash like the HS but could show the sat nav which was useful.

The HS infotainment is slow as people have pointed out. Often when adjusting something it returns to the home screen which is really annoying.

The sat nav on the Golf was quicker with better graphics and had traffic warnings. However, I tend to use Android Auto anyway as the maps are far more up to date. Talking of Android Auto, why is there nowhere to put the phone next to the USB ports? The Golf had a cubby at the side of the USB port with a flip lid like the HS and it was big enough to plug the phone in and close the cover so everything was neat and didn't slide around. It would have been so simple for MG to have done something similar.

The Golf could pre-heat/defrost the car when plugged in and had timers so you could charge overnight if you had a better tariff and theoretically have the car toasty when you set off for work. I don't believe the HS has any of this. However, I used the word theoretically for the Golf as the pre-heating for the car never worked for me. Having gone through some forums, it appears that it really needs a 7kw wall box for this to work properly and I just plug the granny charger into an outside wall socket. The lack of electric heating would have been an issue, especially in winter had I got used to it on the Golf but it never really worked so nothing lost.

There is an app for the Golf which allows you to see economy, electric range, fuel range, start/stop charging, set up sat nav routes and transfer them etc. I used it for a while then discovered I had to pay an annual subscription to continue using it which for the features I wanted was over £100 per year so I stopped using it!!!!! I haven't found an app for the HS but if you cant set timers for charging or pre-heat the car, I guess it would be of limited use.

So far that's my thoughts. The Golf averaged 88mpg over my time with it (not including electricity costs) so it will be interesting to compare over a long period.

In conclusion, I am more than happy with the decision to change, the extra space and practicality makes a huge difference and I like the extra toys. I think with a small update (electric heater, faster infotainment, phone storage next to the USB) it would be everything I wanted form a PHEV. As it is, it was tremendous value for money, doesn't feel like a value brand at all and I'm impressed to have 6.5 years warranty remaining so no large bill worries.

Hope this was useful to someone!

Michael

Regarding the EV range of the HS, it has a quoted range of 32 miles and you will actually get the 32 miles or even more if in a more urban driving environment.

Regarding the EV range of the HS, it has a quoted range of 32 miles and you will actually get the 32 miles or even more if in a more urban driving environment.
That's really good to hear. Ill be using it quite a bit over the next week so will have the opportunity to make the most of the electric range. An extra 8 to 10 miles is a big difference.

The Golf had various EV modes - EV, hybrid, battery hold, battery charge whereas on the HS I can only really see EV on or off unless I'm missing something.
You are missing something. There is a setting for battery charging while driving. Think you can set it to 40 or 80% so you will always have battery available.

So some additional observations having driven the car some more.

Having the charge flap on the drivers side is a pain. The golf solution of being in the middle of the grille was much better.

The range is definitely better than the golf. On full charge the golf would show 28 miles and after a 6 mile round trip to the supermarket it would have dropped to between 18 and 20. On the HS, the range showed 27 miles when I got back home. I like that!!!!!!

The golf heated sears had 3 settings. At the highest they would be very toasty after about a minute, the heater wasn't needed on short trips. The HS heated seats got slightly warmer but nowhere near as warm as the golf.

The car started in petrol mode despite a full battery each time I used it. Not an issue to press the EV button but something to remember.

The lane assist is annoying, very annoying. The golf didn't have it and it is now switched off.

The boot is brilliant coming from the golf. Electric tailgate and seems twice the size.

So far, there are a few things that the golf did better but a lot more that the HS excels at. I'm genuinely impressed and it really doesn't feel like a value brand at all.

I haven't read the manual yet........tell me more
In the infotainment screen from home, press car, then maintenance and driving (i think) from there you can set a target charge level. If you are not charging the car, id set this the 50% for the battery's health if anything else.

First post here.
I had owned a 2018 VW Golf GTE Advance for over a year and travelled 12000 miles in it.
As it was over 3 years old and out of warranty, I decided to look around for a replacement.

I came across a 5 month old MG HS PHEV Exclusive in black and was offered £4,000 more for the golf than I paid for it so the cost to change was about £4,500 and of course it had 6.5 years warranty remaining which was my reason to look.

I had a brief test drive to ensure I was comfortable and did the deal, collecting the car yesterday.

I've only done about 100 miles in it and all on petrol but I thought I would write my initial thoughts which might be useful to anyone else considering changing their GTE and also whilst I remembered the Golf!

So here are my initial thought. Bear in mind I don't know the new car very well YET.

The HS has a lot more space than the Golf. Rear seat space and the boot are a class above. Whilst not a big car, the extra space is a bonus and makes it much more practical on a day to day basis. The boot in the Golf was particularly small. Talking of boots, the storage under the boot floor for the granny charger is great. In the Golf, there is nowhere to store cables except in the boot itself.

The granny charger has a very short mains lead compared to the Golf. This means it has to sit on the ground unless I build some sort of housing for it which will then make it less easy to travel with. The Golf charging point was in the middle of the front grille which meant I could park the car either way round and charge it. With the MG charge port being on the drivers side, I can only charge it if I park one way. Not the end of the world but a slight limitation.

Both cars have a claimed 31 mile electric range yet the HS battery is twice the capacity of the Golf. As I mentioned, I haven't used it under electric power yet but to me this means either the Golf was a lot more advanced/efficient using electric power or I should get much closer to the advertised range in the HS. I think I used to get about 20-24 miles out of the Golf on electric with no heater on. The heater would reduce the range by about a 3rd.

The performance of the 2 cars seems on par. The MG is bigger and heavier but more powerful. Neither are sports cars but I have been up and down motorways and overtaken in both and not found them lacking.

The MG seems to absorb bumps better, the Golf was more 'sporty'. I presume this is due to the higher profile tyres on the HS and the Golf being built as a sporty alternative to the GTI. Both are comfortable and day to day driving are fine.

The MG has a LOT more equipment. Obviously it is 3 years newer but the Golf, despite being the top spec model didn't have as many toys. So far, the extra toys I have noticed are the sunroof which is huge, camera (the Golf just has sensors), leather seats which look and feel very nice, electric tailgate, keyless entry and start, blind spot warning and a variety of safety tech.

The interior quality of the MG doesn't seem any less than that of the Golf which is a premium brand. There are a lot of soft touch surfaces, padded surfaces and everything seems well put together.

The Golf had various EV modes - EV, hybrid, battery hold, battery charge whereas on the HS I can only really see EV on or off unless I'm missing something. The Golf had a GTE button for extra power but I never used it!

The Golf had paddles to change gear which the HS doesn't. I never really used them so no loss there.

Infotainment wise, they seem to have the same features. The Golf also had a digital dash like the HS but could show the sat nav which was useful.

The HS infotainment is slow as people have pointed out. Often when adjusting something it returns to the home screen which is really annoying.

The sat nav on the Golf was quicker with better graphics and had traffic warnings. However, I tend to use Android Auto anyway as the maps are far more up to date. Talking of Android Auto, why is there nowhere to put the phone next to the USB ports? The Golf had a cubby at the side of the USB port with a flip lid like the HS and it was big enough to plug the phone in and close the cover so everything was neat and didn't slide around. It would have been so simple for MG to have done something similar.

The Golf could pre-heat/defrost the car when plugged in and had timers so you could charge overnight if you had a better tariff and theoretically have the car toasty when you set off for work. I don't believe the HS has any of this. However, I used the word theoretically for the Golf as the pre-heating for the car never worked for me. Having gone through some forums, it appears that it really needs a 7kw wall box for this to work properly and I just plug the granny charger into an outside wall socket. The lack of electric heating would have been an issue, especially in winter had I got used to it on the Golf but it never really worked so nothing lost.

There is an app for the Golf which allows you to see economy, electric range, fuel range, start/stop charging, set up sat nav routes and transfer them etc. I used it for a while then discovered I had to pay an annual subscription to continue using it which for the features I wanted was over £100 per year so I stopped using it!!!!! I haven't found an app for the HS but if you cant set timers for charging or pre-heat the car, I guess it would be of limited use.

So far that's my thoughts. The Golf averaged 88mpg over my time with it (not including electricity costs) so it will be interesting to compare over a long period.

In conclusion, I am more than happy with the decision to change, the extra space and practicality makes a huge difference and I like the extra toys. I think with a small update (electric heater, faster infotainment, phone storage next to the USB) it would be everything I wanted form a PHEV. As it is, it was tremendous value for money, doesn't feel like a value brand at all and I'm impressed to have 6.5 years warranty remaining so no large bill worries.

Hope this was useful to someone!

Michael
Hi Michael - Great to read your story on the switch from the GTE to the HS.
I was in a similar situation almost two years ago.
I owned a 2015 GTE for over four years and loved it !.
After only a couple of months of ownership, I knew my next car would have to be a full BEV.
I got bitten by the electric bug good and hard.
I did consider exchanging the GTE for an e.Golf but after owning the GTE the spec on the e.Golf was extremely basic to say the least.
After driving SUV on holiday in the USA over a few occasions, my wife said she would like a car with a better ride height.
Well - Enter the arrival / press launch of the MG ZS EV in the summer of 2019.
Placed a refundable deposit in July and waited for what felt like an age.
We got to see and test drive a demo car in November and I was really surprised on how it compared to the GTE.
I expected to return from the test drive not liking the car and cancelling our order !.
Car arrived two weeks before Christmas and we collected it in Jan 2020.
I thought the GTE was a economical car to run, but the ZS EV is on another scale.
Two years in now and how do I think both cars compare ?.
Pretty good I would say.
I have owned a number of VAG models and in my case, they have been really good.
Build quality wise, I honestly think the VW was better screwed together.
My four year old Golf did not have trim rattles at all !.
The ZS EV does have some hard trim creaks and moans, that the VW never had.
I found as the VW PHEV aged, it became more expensive to run with regards to servicing costs.
Effectively your serving two masters, you have the servicing costs of a ICE and a EV as well.
Would go back to a full ICE - No way !.
would I have another PHEV - Yes if my usage case changed and it would NOT support a full BEV - Then I would have another PHEV.
For now, I totally except that full BEV's just don't suit everybody.
Space wise, I can understand how you feel that the HS is big leap from the GTE.
I don't feel we lost any space moving from the GTE to the ZS EV to be honest.
We are hoping to upgrade to the long range ZS EV new year.
I think you will be very happy with the HS - It's a very nicely equipped car.
P.S. - The GTE should have defaulted to EV mode on start up ???.
The GTE button is where the fun really starts !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom