Install a home charger or make do with Granny cable?

Gwynfor Hughes

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just taken receipt of my new MGZSEV exclusive.
Not being a very technical person it all looks a bit daunting.
I am having a Rolec home charging unit fitted on Wednesday.
When I collected my car it was showing 50 miles projected range. When I got home I immediately plugged my granny charger into a socket in my garage.
The Rolec charger will have to be installed on wall of house and disappointingly not in the garage due to unsuitable cabling.
My son is questioning me why I need to have a home charging unit fitted and cant I make do with just a granny cable giving me the opportunity to do charging in garage when home.
The car will be kept in garage for long periods.
What explanation do I give?
Many thanks,
Gwyn

Hi Gwyn.

Congratulations on getting your new EV.

The wiring requirements for the charger are quite serious because of the large amount of power going through the cables for a long time.

There’s no reason not to use the small charger inside the garage but it will take a long time (up to 18h or so)

the installers can be a bit flexible with the location. Where is your garage in relation to the proposed charger location? And in relegation to your electricity meter and the ‘fuse box’? They could possibly run a cable all the way to the garage.

if MG are paying for installation they may allow you to pay a top up if it’s further/more tricky than what they will cover.

Thank you Skippy so much for your response.
The garage is detached from the house and I guess a channel would have to be dug into the tarmacadum driveway for a distance of about 15 feet.
With regards to MG offering free home charger presumably this is something that would have to be negotiated through the dealer?
Thanks again and kind regards,
Gwyn

Hi Gwyn,

Congratulations with your car.

I guess you got the homecharger for free because you live in GB.!

If you could afford the ekstra wierering cost then go for it, especially if it can get the car charged faster.
I don't know how it is in GB. But in Denmark it is not all houses electric circuits that can run a granny cable for long period of time, so maybe have that checked also.
To me, the granny cable is best to be laying in the car at all times, that can also be something that give you a little peace mind when you are out learning your new car better, day by day you get more comfortable ?

Free charger was included if you ordered it after 1st July, as part of the peace of mind package, along with a type 2 cable for charging on the go and 3 years free servicing. If you're using the car infrequently then you can make do with the granny. I probably wouldn't have had (and paid for) a home charger if it had not been free.

Just to add, that makes sense as to why the existing cabling isn’t up to taking the hefty load of a charger. burying cables is... less desirable shall we say. that is probably why the installers don’t wish to do it.

Thank you also Jeps and Kithmo.
I bought my car as a pre registered vehicle hence not covered under the peace of mind scheme.
I'm reassured now. Basically the granny charger is just a stop gap and I guess not practical for regular daily use.

Last edited:
"A typical 3 pin plug can supply up to 8 miles of range per hour." So eight hours overnight from a granny charger would give almost 64 miles of range. Do you drive more than 50 miles per day?

The 7KW charging point would double the speed of charging so it would be useful for convenience, but not essential.

Me personally? I'm currently in the process of digging a trench for my upcoming charge point install. I hired a builder for an hour for £50 to cut through the concrete, about five metres. Extra cabling for me is charged at £5 per metre.

An overnight charge could be 14 hours or more if you're retired. Stick the granny on at teatime say 6 pm and knock it off at 8 am and you have added 112 miles to your range. It could even be fully charged if you started with 50 miles or more left.

Most of the time - not.
Regular journey of 24 miles round trip.
Retired.
It's the lack of suitability of cable (as mentioned in previous thread) gives me cause for concern as to following this path as a matter of course.

Good example that Skippy. Think I will continue with my original plan.
Also I'm with Octopus Energy and signing up to their low rate night time tariff which is compatible with Rolic and their timing capability.

Me personally? I'm currently in the process of digging a trench for my upcoming charge point install. I hired a builder for an hour for £50 to cut through the concrete, about five metres. Extra cabling for me is charged at £5 per metre.

Maybe I should have done that, I dug a 10 inch deep trench through my lane for the power line.

The installer will be coming tomorrow to set up the charger and lay the cable. The trench will probably be full of water what with Storm Francis coming along :rolleyes:

Even a ‘granny’ charger takes about 10A - it’s like having a kettle that’s on continuously for hours. You’re right to be cautious.
Yes and don't be fooled into thinking a 10A extension will be ok, you should use a 13A minimum to be on the safe side and make sure it's fully unwound not some left on the reel when using it.

Had my Rolec charger fitted yesterday by a local firm who were brilliant.
(Not sure if site rules prohibit me mentioning their name).
I contacted them late afternoon - day before installation. Between us we were able to find a suitable route with the cable to our garage by fitting a cable protector across a small section of our driveway.
So pleased that we have been able to have it fitted in the garage. It really simplifies family parking arrangements at the rear of our home.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice given.

Had my Rolec charger fitted yesterday by a local firm who were brilliant.
(Not sure if site rules prohibit me mentioning their name).
I contacted them late afternoon - day before installation. Between us we were able to find a suitable route with the cable to our garage by fitting a cable protector across a small section of our driveway.
So pleased that we have been able to have it fitted in the garage. It really simplifies family parking arrangements at the rear of our home.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice given.
Didn't realise you were from Swansea as well. Small world indeed.

My charger was installed on Tuesday and all went well, trench filled in now. Just need to pick up the car :)

Think they were based in Carmarthen, MG arranged it all as part of the free charger package.
I'm looking forward to driving it. Any quirks I should be aware of?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom