Installing 12v socket in boot of ZS EV (facelift)?

Tiny Tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm exploring the idea of putting a 12v socket in the boot for running a camping fridge thingy without needing to trail the cable through the car.

It's early days and I don't want to do anything too complicated, but my current thinking is get a 12v socket from Aliexpress/ebay etc (maybe something like this) and run a cable to the nearest fuse box, using a spare slot/piggy backing a fuse that turns off when the car turns off. Or is there another option(s)? Any ideas/suggestions? What's the best/easiest way to do this? Anything to be aware of? Anyone with experience of doing something like this? Bad idea altogether? I've installed the hard wiring for a dashcam before, but nothing else - so I need to know what I would be getting myself in to.

Many thanks clever people!

Why not use the same fuse as the factory fitted 12v aux socket.

Apart from that, it's running one wire of the correct gauge to where you want the socket, and one from thd socket to a good earth.

Upvote 0
I also would like a 12v socket in the boot - that was one thing I liked in the VW id3! So useful for plugging in a coolbox for picnics and self catering holidays.

Upvote 0
Why not use the same fuse as the factory fitted 12v aux socket.

Apart from that, it's running one wire of the correct gauge to where you want the socket, and one from thd socket to a good earth.
Sounds fair. I was wondering where to run the cable.

When (if) I get time I'll see what I can do and update on the results.

Short term, yes, long term it seems messy and might get pulled out etc. We don't have kids, just a small dog, so i expect the cable that comes with the coolbox would work in the short term (not got one yet - but I've seen one that runs from a normal plug and the 12v plug - seemed pretty good.)

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom