Insurance policy renewal - going from Jaguar Ftype to MG4 Xpower!

simonplayspiano

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
This is interesting. When I got the MG I obviously only paid a few quid to 'upgrade' my remaining policy. So as the renewal has now come through, I can see the impact on a full year quote for both cars. Policy is from Tesco Insurance.

Last year my policy was £383.87 - now for the MG it's £720.90 - that's quite some jump. For context, I'm 54, been driving all my life, never had an accident and no points. I must be one of the lowest risk demographics.

Anyway, I went on comparethemarket and got a quote from Hastings Direct for £484 - and Tesco couldn't get anywhere near it.

Change of insurer coming up!

There has been a lot of chat on car insurance price increases on another thread.
It’s very common practice too switch providers after 1 or 2 years now.
Introductory offers are rarely repeated.

So many variables on car insurance plus big premium increases across the board. Try NFU, they have specific EV policies, only been with them for a couple of years but very good. Remaining 3 months on policy to cover XPower was £80. No online quotes but over telephone, bit of a faff but worth it for me.
I also got £70 refund from previous car so net £10 for 3 months!

All cars have gone up, our two EVs are now £450 each (MG4 SE SR and MG ZS EV MK1) compared to £350ish last year.

And got an automated reminder from compare the market for our old 60plate 2L nissan xtrail so for the laugh I ran it, and that had gone up from £370 to £500.

This is interesting. When I got the MG I obviously only paid a few quid to 'upgrade' my remaining policy. So as the renewal has now come through, I can see the impact on a full year quote for both cars. Policy is from Tesco Insurance.

Last year my policy was £383.87 - now for the MG it's £720.90 - that's quite some jump. For context, I'm 54, been driving all my life, never had an accident and no points. I must be one of the lowest risk demographics.

Anyway, I went on comparethemarket and got a quote from Hastings Direct for £484 - and Tesco couldn't get anywhere near it.

Change of insurer coming up!
Just a suggestion, try Aviva, well rated and for me, £440. Try to get a quote as Martin Lewis suggests, about 23 days before it’s due. Good luck.

Just a suggestion, try Aviva, well rated and for me, £440. Try to get a quote as Martin Lewis suggests, about 23 days before it’s due. Good luck.
That was roughly the same price for me with Aviva, should I have needed to change insurers. However NFU came up trumps on this occasion, but will see at renewal time next March.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom