Interior Trim Scratches

RichardC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I would welcome some advice. I have some surface scuffs /scratches on the trim of the driver’s door. Probably caused by me letting go of the seat belt.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them?
FF88EBE5-1377-445D-8694-1775CB2BB0F7.jpeg

In the past I have used a black substance for this! Not very helpful I know, but it's sold exactly for this purpose, it comes in a bottle (bit like a shampoo bottle), and is a thick gloopy, black substance. Squirt a bit on a cloth and polish it in, but it will get on your fingers, and it is hard to get it off of them! Mine is years old but a quick search found this. That isn't what I have so I can't recommend it. Mine is good, but it only works on lighter scuffs - scuffs where the scratches have turned the plastics white usually defeat it.

In the past I have used a black substance for this! Not very helpful I know, but it's sold exactly for this purpose, it comes in a bottle (bit like a shampoo bottle), and is a thick gloopy, black substance. Squirt a bit on a cloth and polish it in, but it will get on your fingers, and it is hard to get it off of them! Mine is years old but a quick search found this. That isn't what I have so I can't recommend it. Mine is good, but it only works on lighter scuffs - scuffs where the scratches have turned the plastics white usually defeat it.
Thanks. I actually have a bottle of that in the garage so I will give it a go - very carefully!

Looking on YouTube, a heat gun could work but too much heat and the surface will end up as a shiny spot.
I have a scratch on my black plastic rear wheel arch, but decided I would probably make it look worse if I messed with it.

Let us know how it goes.
Unfortunately it did not work as there was too much whitish plastic showing through. I needed to add some black colour so I have used a combination of black shoe polish and a black permanent marker.

A bit Heath Robinson I know but it seems to have done the trick and whilst it is not perfect I can no longer see the white marks.

Unfortunately it did not work as there was too much whitish plastic showing through. I needed to add some black colour so I have used a combination of black shoe polish and a black permanent marker.

A bit Heath Robinson I know but it seems to have done the trick and whilst it is not perfect I can no longer see the white marks.
Now you're going to get shoe polish on your sleeves. ;)
I used to clean up grey plastic exterior trim on previous cars with WD40 when it had faded.

you should be able to use the silcan restore spray as for external plastics. It won’t get rid of the scratch but blend in the shiny cut surfaces with needing colour as it’s still actually black. Avoid getting on other surfaces though

Meguiar's G15812EU Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer T​

Thanks. I am going to be more careful letting go of the seat belt In future.

I also had a scratch on the trim on the inside of the tailgate and my unorthodox materials have been successful on that one too.

I have reported a smaller ding on the trim in the same place. It was there from collecting the car. If this damage, although minor, is done at manufacture or much less likely at PDI then even though minor its warrenty work isn't it?
Trim Ding.jpg

Sorry picture is a close up of the right hand side of the dash board above and to the right of the vent, not the door card or door trim as in the other pictures. Should have looked harder at the earlier pictures which are of the door trim.....I think. Sorry for the confusion. I think its a factory QA issue.

Sorry picture is a close up of the right hand side of the dash board above and to the right of the vent, not the door card or door trim as in the other pictures. Should have looked harder at the earlier pictures which are of the door trim.....I think. Sorry for the confusion. I think its a factory QA issue.
No my error, I didn’t look carefully and assumed it was the door trim edge😀

What if you used back to black for the black bumper trims. Might get rid of it. I’m sure I will have loads on mine as I use it as a Taxi. But will look into the one that was mentioned as I find their polish very good.

I know it’s been a while since buying this product and I am not sure if it’s still available but the product Dash Magic was for this very reason

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom