Intermittent and irritating vibration / rattling from inside the dash?

Laurence Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My ZS is a month old, about 1700 miles. It's always had an irritating rattle coming from inside the dash in front of driver. Or so I thought until now...
It's actually coming from the rear view mirror. I was on a rough surface and touched the rear of the mirror and the rattle stopped immediately. It's definitely in the mirror. Makes no difference whether it flicked up or down.
The noise bounces back from the windscreen and so it sounds as if its coming from inside the dash.
Has anyone else heard this?

Could this be the vibration from the aircon pump?

You can hear it kicking in & out if you sit with the car in Ready Mode, it is palpable through the steering wheel too if you feel / listen at the same time.

Last edited:
My ZS is a month old, about 1700 miles. It's always had an irritating rattle coming from inside the dash in front of driver. Or so I thought until now...
It's actually coming from the rear view mirror. I was on a rough surface and touched the rear of the mirror and the rattle stopped immediately. It's definitely in the mirror. Makes no difference whether it flicked up or down.
The noise bounces back from the windscreen and so it sounds as if its coming from inside the dash.
Has anyone else heard this?
I had a annoying rattle in my ZS EV that was present on rough surface roads.
I was convinced was coming from my side of the dash.
However, my wife was convinced it was coming from HER side of the car !.
This went on for weeks.
Then one day ( while it was rattling ) my wife reached up and pressed the white plastic trim that surrounds the interior light and sun roof control.
By applying pressure with just one finger, the rattle stopped - Bingo !!.
Give it a go on your car.

You can hear it kicking in & out if you sit with the car in Ready Mode, it is palpable through the steering wheel too if you feel / listen at the same time.
Yes, I have felt that, through the wheel, I wondered what it was.

Good shout !.
Are we dealing with a trim rattle or a vibration felt through the steering wheel here, even when the car is at rest.
If the A/C is active and you feel a small vibration that travels through the steering wheel for a brief time, then suddenly stops.
But then returns a little while latter for a short while, but then stops once again, then it's very likely to be the A/C system charging up.
If so - Then this is normal to the car !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom