Ipod

Chris F

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can connect an iPod to the car I have tried the two usb ports but it doesn't connect

On my previous cars just connected by usb allowing the iPod to be viewed and controlled through the cars touch screen

It will only be supported if you have the car play app, if not you can download on to a USB and play that way.

Doesn't the iPod just behave like any USB source like a USB stick etc. ?

:( I have thousands of tracks on a early iPod that I play through a USB connection in my current car, this is disappointing. I'll have to see what max size sd card my phone will take.

Marc

:( I have thousands of tracks on a early iPod that I play through a USB connection in my current car, this is disappointing. I'll have to see what max size sd card my phone will take.

Marc
Can’t you get a Bluetooth adapter for the IPod so that the car can connect, sure you can buy one to plug in to the headphones output...

Hi Mark, I hadn't. thought about BT having been hardwired all this time. Anyway, tried it with a BT transmitter I have and it doesn't connect to my Ford, the Ford requires the device to pair via a pin number and the transmitter doesn't allow for that. Don't know how the MG works (I'm still in frustrated waiting mode) but good news is, my phone will accept a 512g SD card so worst case, I'm covered.

No, the system won’t recognise it. The format is wrong. USB is fat 32 and has file system. Ipod doesn't have that.

Eh? USB is a protocal for data transmission, which by necessity include cables and connector types. AFAIK the file system has no bearing on it, e.g. FAT16, 32, NTFS and so on. iPods are old technology now, so I'm not surprised they don't work but I understand the OP's frustration.

Question, if you connect an iPod via BT and connect a phone via Apple/Android carplay auto does the phone still work hands free via those apps or does the phone still have to be BT to work handsfree. I have never used android auto and currently connect my phone via BT and my iPod via USB.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll watch this thread but if I ever get to 1 test drive an MG or 2 Buy an MG I'll have to wait and see where my solution will lie. Good luck I'm watching:)

Eh? USB is a protocal for data transmission, which by necessity include cables and connector types. AFAIK the file system has no bearing on it, e.g. FAT16, 32, NTFS and so on. iPods are old technology now, so I'm not surprised they don't work but I understand the OP's frustration.
Its isn’t a USB issue, its a compatibility issue, the Ipod hasn't the file system required by the head unit!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom