Is anybody using a bottle jack succerssfully?

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I'm pleased with the Golf Mk6 space saver I got for £27 from a dealer on ebay and it was simple to install in the boot space using an M8 bolt. All my necessary bits and pieces fit round it and the floor can be used on the lower level. I'm exploring the idea of adding a bottle jack to the kit - possibly 5 ton with a 35cm max lift and using a rubber pad to protect the car when lifting. Has anybody gone down the route of using a bottle jack successfully or have good reason to stick with a scissor jack?

I'm pleased with the Golf Mk6 space saver I got for £27 from a dealer on ebay and it was simple to install in the boot space using an M8 bolt. All my necessary bits and pieces fit round it and the floor can be used on the lower level. I'm exploring the idea of adding a bottle jack to the kit - possibly 5 ton with a 35cm max lift and using a rubber pad to protect the car when lifting. Has anybody gone down the route of using a bottle jack successfully or have good reason to stick with a scissor jack?
What about using an electric Jack that plugs onto your 12 volt battery ?.
Plenty on E.Bay.

There's no reason why you can't use a bottle or even a trolley jack if you wanted to give up the boot space. The scissor jack is favoured because it's small, lightweight and reliable although that last bit may not apply if you seek out the cheapest one you can find on eBay.

What about using an electric Jack that plugs onto your 12 volt battery ?.
Plenty on E.Bay.
Thanks for the suggestion. It was not an option I had come across before. They look fairly bulky and I was hoping for a more packable solution, I would like something that will fit inside the space saver wheel rim. I also liked the air bag jack idea - its a shame they don't sell an air bag that fits on to your own tyre compressor.

Thanks for the suggestion. It was not an option I had come across before. They look fairly bulky and I was hoping for a more packable solution, I would like something that will fit inside the space saver wheel rim. I also liked the air bag jack idea - its a shame they don't sell an air bag that fits on to your own tyre compressor.

Hi
Have you had any luck with a bottle Jack
I have tried a 2 ton one but it doesn’t lift high enough
and the 5 ton one doesn’t fit under the car when it’s in it’s lowest position
The 2 ton Jack only lifted to 38 cm so I think the car would have to be lifted up to 41cm for the wheel to be clear of the ground, I will check this when I get my trolley Jack out tomorrow
I have been looking on line to find one small enough to fit under the car but big enough to lift the car fully with no luck so far
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Some bottle Jack's have the top bit that you can un screw to make bigger or could you not use a block?
Hi
Yep been there seen it done it with no luck
Not to worry I’ll just buy a new scissor Jack instead of my dirty old one
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hi
Yep been there seen it done it with no luck
Not to worry I’ll just buy a new scissor Jack instead of my dirty old one
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Screenshot_20220216_195554.jpg

Just an idea?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video