Is installing a dumb home charger still possible

phbsurrey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Please forgive if this newcomer is asking a dumb question. I take delivery of a new MG ZS EV next week and trying to understand all the issues around home chargers. I would be able to survive most days on just a 3 pin granny and have a 4kW solar panel system. The smart chargers that attract a grant seem to still cost £450+ and dont seem too smart with the mg. If I had a 3.5kw dumb charger I could use it in summer during day and as backup to my 3 pin where I wanted full charge overnight. I wouldnt be able to benefit from economy 7 but would save money on installation and day to day stress. Have I missed something?

Hi, I have a basic 7Kw Chargemaster wall box with a 5.5 KWh/P solar system. What you say is fine, I use the granny lead whilst making solar but could use the wall box if a faster charge was needed. I would recommend getting a 7Kw unit as a 3Kw is no better than the granny lead.
Hope this is helpful.

Please forgive if this newcomer is asking a dumb question. I take delivery of a new MG ZS EV next week and trying to understand all the issues around home chargers. I would be able to survive most days on just a 3 pin granny and have a 4kW solar panel system. The smart chargers that attract a grant seem to still cost £450+ and dont seem too smart with the mg. If I had a 3.5kw dumb charger I could use it in summer during day and as backup to my 3 pin where I wanted full charge overnight. I wouldnt be able to benefit from economy 7 but would save money on installation and day to day stress. Have I missed something?
How many miles do you drive on average per day or per week??

You can easily survive on the granny charger for that mileage just charge nearly fully once per week or stick in on charge over night once per week and that should see you through.

Thank you for that, I will get an electrician to put in a dedicated spur socket in the garage and keep the ccs lead for rare long journeys and free local 7kw chargers.

Thank you for that, I will get an electrician to put in a dedicated spur socket in the garage and keep the ccs lead for rare long journeys and free local 7kw chargers.
By CCS lead I assume you mean a type 2, CCS chargers already have a lead attached.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom