Is it just me..........

mj224

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Love the ZS EV, it suits most of my driving way of life......but..

On a recent holiday, we had to take the wifes Merc Series B, as there were no rapid chargers within 15 miles of the holiday cottage.

Now I am planning a trip to a bird sanctuary 90 miles away. No rapid chargers within 30 miles of it. Thus a charging stop on each one way trip.

Not really a ZS EV problem, but a combination of the charging infrastructure and limited range.

I know its what you get with EV's, and the ZS is my 2nd EV. But there are times you do wonder about their usefulness...

Love the ZS EV, it suits most of my driving way of life......but..

On a recent holiday, we had to take the wifes Merc Series B, as there were no rapid chargers within 15 miles of the holiday cottage.

Now I am planning a trip to a bird sanctuary 90 miles away. No rapid chargers within 30 miles of it. Thus a charging stop on each one way trip.

Not really a ZS EV problem, but a combination of the charging infrastructure and limited range.

I know its what you get with EV's, and the ZS is my 2nd EV. But there are times you do wonder about their usefulness...
Whereabouts is this place that is 30 miles from a rapid. Do you need a rapid, are there any destination 7kW chargers about ? Could you use the granny charger at the holiday cottage ?

Looks like you didn't do any homework before you picked that location with the ZS being the car you were taking :)

www.plugshare.com to the rescue!
I have owned EV's for the last 6 years. I know the limitations. All I am saying is that for every day use they are great, but the occasional once in a while I want to get out a bit, the EV (MG) won't do it. I do wonder whether I would be brave enough to have an EV without an ICE in the family. My wife has a Merc Class B, and we do have a genuine MG TF locked up in the garage.

I have completed trips to Surrey from Wales, as the motorway service stations have rapids. But again you take your chances with them working and not being blocked by other EV's charging

Slimbridge is some way from a rapid, there are several in North Bristol, and the M5 services. If they are working that is...

Slimbridge is some way from a rapid, there are several in North Bristol, and the M5 services. If they are working that is...
There is an Instavolt 8 miles away from Slimbridge WWT at Bridge Service station and several more at 2 sites in Stroud a further 4 miles on. There are also several around Gloucester just off the motorway.
Surprised you hadn't spotted them.

Yes I see now. I used Zap Map to plan the route, which took me to Slimbridge, but does not show surrounding chargers. My journey to Slimbridge was 94 motorway miles, thus I was concerned that would need a charge up pretty quickly. Of course the plan would then include a top up charge on each motorway stretch........

Why didn't you just charge the car at the cottage overnight?

We have been to loads of Lodge holiday destinations in the middle of the cuds and always plug the 3 pin onto the lodge.

Admittedly it did require some imaginative parking and I learnt years ago not to use a house hold extension cable after we left one lodge with a scorched socket.

It's one of the few EV financial/ free electricity benefits left.

At some point the holiday business will catch on and start charging.

Yes I see now. I used Zap Map to plan the route, which took me to Slimbridge, but does not show surrounding chargers. My journey to Slimbridge was 94 motorway miles, thus I was concerned that would need a charge up pretty quickly. Of course the plan would then include a top up charge on each motorway stretch........
In Zap-Map, you can filter chargers to show favourite networks, connector types, and contactless payments. I've got mine set to contactless as I refuse to use apps or RFID fobs (ICE drivers aren't required to use them, so why should I?)

I manged to do a trip from Bristol to Lincoln and back on 1 charge up and 1 charge back stopping at Rugby services, got a bit hairy on the route home as wasn't sure was going to make the charging station at Rugby, turned off aircon etc etc and made it with 20 miles to spare! haha.

It all adds another dimension to driving....I quite enjoy the planning etc, but not the stress of whether the charger is working or the queue to get a charge. On my Surrey trips, the Ecotricity at Membury always had a queue, or was not working, the Newbury Services had a queue but always worked. I tried the Ionity near Chippenham, it took three goes to get it working, at a deposit of £65 each time, returned eventually, and then it conked out after 15 minutes, but charged enough to get to Cardiff Gate Ecotricity. I have used that one several times, and touch wood it has always worked and few queues.

But my norm is to charge at home, and rarely do long journeys...But the system has to be improved for the future influx of EV's. They say its improving, but when I plan an imaginary or real trip, the chargers seem to be out of order, or maybe that's because ZapMap is not updated enough.

I can't quite see why these chargers are so fragile, the only moving part is the cut off switch is it not? Maybe wrong there, but a petrol pump is full of mechanics and how often do they fail?

The great revolution of Gridserve is a bit of a wet lettuce, they are replacing the old single Ecotricity Charger with a single Gridserve charger. I thought they were accepting the challenge and installing several chargers.

Wales I refer to, a backyard for EV's certainly. Tenby seems only to have a single Rapid charger, a popular destination if there ever was one. My last visit there the single charger was in constant use. The town has a huge car park, they could fit 6 there with ease...

So when are we to experience chargers aplenty. I thought that petrol stations should be installing chargers, as they might want to prolong their business's for the future....

At some point they may fit an actual charger! Could be a USP.

Ah but supplying charging facilities would cost money and my goodness that could eat into the profits. Imagine losing £10 - £15 on a week long booking!

I only look at Airbnb type holiday accommodation that has a charger for a genuine peace of mind break.

It all adds another dimension to driving....I quite enjoy the planning etc, but not the stress of whether the charger is working or the queue to get a charge. On my Surrey trips, the Ecotricity at Membury always had a queue, or was not working, the Newbury Services had a queue but always worked. I tried the Ionity near Chippenham, it took three goes to get it working, at a deposit of £65 each time, returned eventually, and then it conked out after 15 minutes, but charged enough to get to Cardiff Gate Ecotricity. I have used that one several times, and touch wood it has always worked and few queues.

But my norm is to charge at home, and rarely do long journeys...But the system has to be improved for the future influx of EV's. They say its improving, but when I plan an imaginary or real trip, the chargers seem to be out of order, or maybe that's because ZapMap is not updated enough.

I can't quite see why these chargers are so fragile, the only moving part is the cut off switch is it not? Maybe wrong there, but a petrol pump is full of mechanics and how often do they fail?

The great revolution of Gridserve is a bit of a wet lettuce, they are replacing the old single Ecotricity Charger with a single Gridserve charger. I thought they were accepting the challenge and installing several chargers.

Wales I refer to, a backyard for EV's certainly. Tenby seems only to have a single Rapid charger, a popular destination if there ever was one. My last visit there the single charger was in constant use. The town has a huge car park, they could fit 6 there with ease...

So when are we to experience chargers aplenty. I thought that petrol stations should be installing chargers, as they might want to prolong their business's for the future....
There is an Esso site near me which has been demolished and its replacement will have 6 chargers and 4 fuel pumps

That's why I have ordered the trophy long range for the wife if we want to do longer trips in it then it's less stressful hopefully
It must be catching! I got my ZS EV last May and have ordered the Trophy LR for the wife, fingers crossed we will get it in April, earlier would be nice as we were offered a great price from Cazoo for her ICE car so we sold it right away! Both retired so not really a hardship having the one car but the extra range means we can do our regular longer trips without having to stop and charge on the way.

Why didn't you just charge the car at the cottage overnight?

We have been to loads of Lodge holiday destinations in the middle of the cuds and always plug the 3 pin onto the lodge.

Admittedly it did require some imaginative parking and I learnt years ago not to use a house hold extension cable after we left one lodge with a scorched socket.

It's one of the few EV financial/ free electricity benefits left.

At some point the holiday business will catch on and start charging.
On our last holiday to York, we told the cottage owner that we would be charging overnight and if we didn't go, out all day if needed, they knew how much electrictity the lodge normally used and charged us for any over that amount, it cost us £13.60 for a weeks supply of electricity, not bad, in fact a right resolt.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom