Is it me, or does the App timeout more than it connects?

Gandalfharrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Do MG have enough servers and connectivity to service the increasing number of users. Are all the servers in China, or do they have some in Europe?

It's very frustrating.

Maybe this could be merged with something like this thread and make it easy to keep issues and timeouts easy to follow/find for people:
Also might help with not clogging up the board?

Maybe this could be merged with something like this thread and make it easy to keep issues and timeouts easy to follow/find for people:
Also might help with not clogging up the board?
I searched and found nothing relevent. But thanks.

So I found out yesterday that ismart is run buy here maps I don't know if that is a good thing?

So I found out yesterday that ismart is run buy here maps I don't know if that is a good thing?
Here provide SAAS services to the automotive industry and some of the OEMs are now starting to integrate this into their infotainment systems. We use Here maps rather than google/bing in most of the tracking apps we release to the public, mainly because they do not have user added POIs etc. thus are viewed as a more 'commercial' product, but our apps merely use an API call to Here to get the mapping data, everything else is in-house.

The iSMART app is so terrible, I'd doubt that it's run by Here (SAAS), rather that it just uses Here's standard API calls to retrieve the mapping data. Also, if it were run/hosted by Here it would require SAIC to integrate Here's cloud system into the core operability of the car, including the locking, driving (digital key) and charging functionality - this would be highly unlikely to ever happen.

Here provide SAAS services to the automotive industry and some of the OEMs are now starting to integrate this into their infotainment systems. We use Here maps rather than google/bing in most of the tracking apps we release to the public, mainly because they do not have user added POIs etc. thus are viewed as a more 'commercial' product, but our apps merely use an API call to Here to get the mapping data, everything else is in-house.

The iSMART app is so terrible, I'd doubt that it's run by Here (SAAS), rather that it just uses Here's standard API calls to retrieve the mapping data. Also, if it were run/hosted by Here it would require SAIC to integrate Here's cloud system into the core operability of the car, including the locking, driving (digital key) and charging functionality - this would be highly unlikely to ever happen.
This is one of the links

This is for the integrated systems in the infotainment, and not the app itself (which just uses the maps API/SDK from Here) - it specifically states the services supplied (and they are all mapping related and SDKs (Software Development Kits) which vendors provide to allow developers/OEMs etc. to hook into their products (in this case, maps and mapping).

OEM integration is a hot topic area at the moment and everyone is trying to get in on this (for example, as an energy major, I would want to get my charge points and automatic billing integrated into as many OEMs as I can so that their cars will preference my charging points in exactly the same way as Tesla have done for their supercharger network).

As a side point, it probably clears up all the recent questions on how the MK2 maps will be updated as that states they will be OTA.

This is for the integrated systems in the infotainment, and not the app itself (which just uses the maps API/SDK from Here) - it specifically states the services supplied (and they are all mapping related and SDKs (Software Development Kits) which vendors provide to allow developers/OEMs etc. to hook into their products (in this case, maps and mapping).

OEM integration is a hot topic area at the moment and everyone is trying to get in on this (for example, as an energy major, I would want to get my charge points and automatic billing integrated into as many OEMs as I can so that their cars will preference my charging points in exactly the same way as Tesla have done for their supercharger network).

As a side point, it probably clears up all the recent questions on how the MK2 maps will be updated as that states they will be OTA.
I wonder if the map updates will be divided into smaller chunks and have a staggered rollout then.

I mean, if it is true, that the "simcard" inside has a dataplan of only 1GB a month it would not be able to download all of the new maps in one go.

Or maybe that's why there is USB support and Wifi connectivity.

This way they could do options for users.

1. Connect car to unlimited data Wifi to download maps
2. Download maps and put them on a USB Stick

I would not mind the least to have to connect the car to wifi, it sits in the driveway and can easily reach my wifi AP in the house.

300/300 fiber connection should make short order of downloading the update....Unless they put it on the same server as the one that does the APP integration, in this case it would probably take weeks and time out every 10 minutes. :)

I wonder if the map updates will be divided into smaller chunks and have a staggered rollout then.

I mean, if it is true, that the "simcard" inside has a dataplan of only 1GB a month it would not be able to download all of the new maps in one go.

I would not mind the least to have to connect the car to wifi, it sits in the driveway and can easily reach my wifi AP in the house.

300/300 fiber connection should make short order of downloading the update....Unless they put it on the same server as the one that does the APP integration, in this case it would probably take weeks and time out every 10 minutes. :)
I doubt that there is anyone on this forum that can answer that question unfortunately.

What I can confirm is that our car was built at least 10 months ago and the satnav shows a roundabout in town that wasn't built until late December 2021, so somehow, the maps must have been updated on ours but whether it was by the dealer as part of the PDI (which I sincerely doubt as I don't think they did anything other than remove any shipping labels and slap on the wheel trims) or OTA I have no idea.

I think the 1gb is just for hotspot don't think OTA updateds count as usage?

I doubt that there is anyone on this forum that can answer that question unfortunately.

What I can confirm is that our car was built at least 10 months ago and the satnav shows a roundabout in town that wasn't built until late December 2021, so somehow, the maps must have been updated on ours but whether it was by the dealer as part of the PDI (which I sincerely doubt as I don't think they did anything other than remove any shipping labels and slap on the wheel trims) or OTA I have no idea.
It is possible to see info on when the maps were compiled and what version they are.

It would be interesting to see what maps it says you have.

As stated elsewhere, mine are Q3 2020, compiled december 20, 2020

I have the PDI for my car, it is a 66 point plan, and the only item on this list that has anything to do with "programming" is step 1

1. Check for outstanding service campaigns og carry them out in case any are found.

If someone is interested i can put all 66 points in here, but it will be translated from Danish and be my best effort in that case :)

I think the 1gb is just for hotspot don't think OTA updateds count as usage?
You might be right, allthough i dont see how they would differentiate.

Yes, they could do "All traffic going to www.mgupdateserver.com does not count toward the data limit" but how they would make an agreement with the operator that made traffic to one particular domain "limitless" is anyone's guess. :)

I have the PDI for my car, it is a 66 point plan, and the only item on this list that has anything to do with "programming" is step 1

If someone is interested i can put all 66 points in here, but it will be translated from Danish and be my best effort in that case :)
Does it say anywhere in there "don't supply it to the customer while it still looks like it's been parked in a lake"? - I think our dealer forgot that bit ;)

Probably some servers will not have restrictions
On one of my old sims even when data had run out I could use unlimited YouTube, Spotify, what's app etc probably works the same way?

.... but how they would make an agreement with the operator that made traffic to one particular domain "limitless" is anyone's guess. :)
In the same way the some mobile providers (Giff-gaff springs to mind in the UK) give you a data limit but posts to social media sites don't count towards that limit - it's very easily done on the airtime provider's back-end systems.

In the same way the some mobile providers (Giff-gaff springs to mind in the UK) give you a data limit but posts to social media sites don't count towards that limit - it's very easily done on the airtime provider's back-end systems.
Yeah that would actually make sense.

I bet the amazon service is also not restricted, as it would very quickly suck up the 1GB data if you were driving along, streaming music via amazon.

Learn something every day, and today i learned that a dataplan can have some sites not count toward the limit. :)

Does it say anywhere in there "don't supply it to the customer while it still looks like it's been parked in a lake"? - I think our dealer forgot that bit ;)
Well these points might cover that

3. Check paint, trim and bodywork for damages (Impossible if the car is super dirty)
7. Look for signs of water ingress (I would imainge water ingress if parked in a lake :) )
64. Remove dirt from bodywork and trim pieces

I would say that item 64 was probably not tick'ed on your PDI :)

Ours are end of Oct 2021 (which would explain the new roundabout as I guess these things are known about a few weeks before they officially'go live')

The expiration date is exactly 5 years after our purchase date (not sure why this is not 7 in line with the warranty).

IMG_20220429_170926.jpg

So the extra £500 for the connect is for 5 year subscription interesting as my dealer said it was for life?

So the extra £500 for the connect is for 5 year subscription interesting as my dealer said it was for life?
What's just as interesting, will they offer owners to renew this for another 5 years or will the car's online functionality just quietly die after 5 years, with no possibility of renewal.

Also, what happens after 5 years if i dont renew, does the car then essentially become a "non-connect" and do i then need to have the infotainment updated at the dealer, instead of OTA. (Or will the OTA function still work, if i connect it to some form of wifi that has internet connection).

I guess no one will know right now, and we will find out sometime in the future.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom