Is it right PHEVS only charge at 3.5Kw?

Mach13

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Got my home charger installed today and was surprised that my HS PHEV Plugin only charges at 3.5kw :unsure:

PHEV owners Is this correct? :cool:

My previous car was a VW PHEV Golf.
It would only charge at Max 3.5 kw's BUT when I had my wall box installed, I had the 32 Amp 7kw unit installed, to help future proof myself.
Lucky I did, because my next car four years latter was a full BEV.
Although I don't own a HS PHEV ( ZS EV here ) I have a strong feeling your car will only allow 3.5 kw's regardless of the output from a A/C charger.
This not really a big issue, because the pack is fairly small, so the total charge time is not too long.

Yes
the on board charger is a 3.5 Kw so you will save a small amount of time on a charge from empty. You charge to full in about 4 hours on a 7KW, a granny charger takes around 6.6 hour.

Yes
the on board charger is a 3.5 Kw so you will save a small amount of time on a charge from empty. You charge to full in about 4 hours on a 7KW, a granny charger takes around 6.6 hour.
Thanks ..its amazing just how many websites seem to give false information on charge rates... Like this one at Pod-Point 🤷‍♂️

when you wrote 7kw did you really mean 3.5kw... if its only drawing 3.5 kw the 7kw capability is a bit of a mute point isn't it? or am I missing something?

Last edited:
It can only draw 3.5 KW from your wall charger. It was the time it will take to charge on the 7KW to a 2.2 KW granny charger.

Did it cost a lot, also did you get the grant, what did you have fitted? If you change up to a Full EV you will have a charger for it.

Did it cost a lot, also did you get the grant, what did you have fitted? If you change up to a Full EV you will have a charger for it.
Needed to get my meter tails and main fuse upgraded...Which was for the most part totally free. UK Power did the main fuse upgrade...(60 to 100amp) MY energy supplier upgraded the meter tails and mains switch install.. so just needed a couple of tails between the new mains switch and my meter to add to the cost...

Installation Based in Norfolk

some basic costs...
  1. Mains fuse upgrade 60 to 100amp: FREE (UK Power)
  2. Meter Tails Upgrade & switch install : FREE (Energy Supplier)
  3. Switch to Meter Tails Upgrade: £40- Installer
  4. Sync EV supply and install: £634 Installer
  5. Type 2 charge Cable 5m: £105 inc delivery
  6. Extension lead 13amp with RCD and letterbox connector (for Granny charger) :£60
Sync EV App is reasonable. It offers an opportunity to use Octopus Go and Agile rates and settings, with the additional option to set power options and variable time schedules. Comes with an RFID card, Power management options, charge history etc..

EDIT: There have been a number of issues with pulse charging, turned out to be a problem with a recent firmware update... Thankfully they have now resolved this with a new firmware fix

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whilst were on the subject of supposed shortages...

Screenshot_20210927-200125 (2).png

Priceless... simply priceless :ROFLMAO: 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😂

Had to use a fair bit of petrol Friday and today. Luckily I was near an Asda and topped up for £30
I been up to Sheringham to day from Blofield Heath all the way then charge for free at Tesco and all the way back to Blofield heath on EV. Got some petrol at Wroxham for the home ward trip.

FYI Not sure what the problem is hope its summat of an easy fix.. will ring em tomoz
Spoke to support (answered quick and v helpful) seems its a known issue with a recent update.. although the app shows the car stuck on 'preparing' it does actually charge as per set schedule. Tested and it did work.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom