Is there a sun glasses holder by the rear view mirror on the MG5?

john w

Established Member
Reaction score
am i dreaming or is there a sun glasses holder by the rear view mirror? i cant find out how to open it

Not on the UK version of the MG 5 I'm afraid...

thanks for the quick reply with todays weather sunglasses were not an option

Strange because it's in the manual... Also missing is the speed limiter, which is not mentioned in the manual but is on all the marketing material.

Strange because it's in the manual... Also missing is the speed limiter, which is not mentioned in the manual but is on all the marketing material.
The speed limiter bit is basically a feature of the cruise control. A feature that's probably been in all cruise controls since the early 1980s.

The cruise control has a speed limiter to keep you at the desired speed. E.G. Using cruise control while driving down a hill.

Very dodgy marketing speak in my opinion.

It is only Active Cruise Control that keeps the speed constant going down a hill. Standard CC only closes the throttle and if the hill is steep enough the car's speed can build up way above the set speed. Most cars since the '80s have had the latter.

Last edited:
I thought adaptive cruise control referred to the ability to maintain speed and distance with other vehicles as well as the set speed.

It is only Adaptive Cruise Control that keeps the speed constant going down a hill. Non-Adaptive CC only closes the throttle and if the hill is steep enough the car's speed can build up way above the set speed. Most cars since the '80s have had the latter.
I thought adaptive cruise control referred to the ability to maintain speed and distance with other vehicles as well as the set speed.
The id.3 I test drove had adaptive cruise that not only kept the distance but could read road signs and used the satnav to slow down for bends.

The more modern iterations can but to begin with they only applied the brakes to maintain the set speed.

Yes. I think that was know as braked or unbraked cruise control. Adaptive is far more sophisticated.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the cruise control since I had a 24 hour test drive last year.

However, it seemed the MG5 would regen to slow down when using cruise control.

That’s interesting - MG ZS uses brakes not regen.

Regen whilst using cruise is great - wish the ZS had it.

It is only Adaptive Cruise Control that keeps the speed constant going down a hill. Non-Adaptive CC only closes the throttle and if the hill is steep enough the car's speed can build up way above the set speed. Most cars since the '80s have had the latter.
The term I was looking for is Active Cruise Control. That controls the throttle and the brakes and nothing else.

The MG website now says "Cruise Control" instead of "Cruise Control with Speed Limiter".

Most the dealers websites still say, "Cruise Control with Speed Limiter".

Last edited:
The cruise control has a speed limiter to keep you at the desired speed. E.G. Using cruise control while driving down a hill.
It is only Active Cruise Control that keeps the speed constant going down a hill. Standard CC only closes the throttle and if the hill is steep enough the car's speed can build up way above the set speed. Most cars since the '80s have had the latter.

I did a bit of an experiment in my MG5 Excite over the last couple of days.

There's a steep hill near my office.

At the top, I set the cruise control to the minimum speed, which is 20mph.

With 80% battery and KERS 3, the car held exactly 20mph all the way down the hill.

Went back the next day, straight from a full charge, and did the same thing.

With 100% battery and KERS 2 (because you can't set KERS 3 with a full battery), it did NOT hold the set speed but got up to about 30mph by the bottom.

I didn't try putting it in Neutral and freewheeling down the hill but I suspect I'd have hit a lot more than 30mph.

The inkling I got from this relatively unscientific experiment is that the cruise control WANTS to hold your set speed when going downhill, but does not apply the friction brakes in order to do so. Instead it appears to rely solely on regen - which it can't quite manage with a full battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom