iSmart App and Digital Key

Andrew Sinclair

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Does anyone else use the Digital Key feature in the iSmart app?

I have stopped carrying my car key completely now, just leave it at home! Rather means I have to keep my phone charged up mind you. Great feature!

Does anyone else use the Digital Key feature in the iSmart app?

I have stopped carrying my car key completely now, just leave it at home! Rather means I have to keep my phone charged up mind you. Great feature!
Hi,
Still waiting for the car, but do you know if you can have more than one app assigned to the car. So I have the app on my phone and my wife has the app on her phone?
Cheers Rob

I have used it but it takes longer than just keeping your keys in your pocket.

Also not sure if the app is stable enough

@Bobbyboy,

Yes, you can do this but the apps on both your phone and @MrsBobbyboy's phone must be logged into the same iSmart account. Unfortunately, the architecture is based on one account 'bound' to one vehicle.

I have just discovered this today, literally 2 minutes ago... I am assuming it uses the bluetooth connection to emulate the presence of the key? I haven't tried driving off with it yet but it certainly locked the car just as quickly as the key would... does it also unlock in the keyless fashion by pressing the comfort access button on the door handle?

Yet its hard to get your car de bound will be fun in the future not only will they know the location of your car they can put the heating on so it nice an warm then drive off it been well thought out well done MG

Yet its hard to get your car de bound will be fun in the future not only will they know the location of your car they can put the heating on so it nice an warm then drive off it been well thought out well done MG
Don't forget that MG aren't the only manufacturer using this for their cars, BMW have a digital key that works using the bluetooth on a mobile phone to unlock and start a BMW. Mobile apps are the biggest security concern for new vehicles given the amount of control over the vehicle they have.

I have just discovered this today, literally 2 minutes ago... I am assuming it uses the bluetooth connection to emulate the presence of the key? I haven't tried driving off with it yet but it certainly locked the car just as quickly as the key would... does it also unlock in the keyless fashion by pressing the comfort access button on the door handle?
Just tried it, sorry, No pressing button on door.

I have used it quite a lot and leave the key at home but as @ZTT states, if something goes wrong with the app then you could get 'stuck'
Yeah, but you need to get into the app and unlock via the app right ?

Honesly, if that is the case i would ABSOLUTELY not trust it.

I had my car stop talking to the app for a while, and only when i had the battery terminal off of the 12V battery, did the app start working again.

The app stopped working, while 200 miles from home, in Germany.

Trusting the app, is what i would call a risky approach.

@hmadsen

Yeah, you’re quite right. The app and actually the car sw itself is “OK” but as I learned yesterday it is a bit 'flakey'.

Conceptually, I like the idea of not carrying a key but I don't like the idea of being an AA gold card holder 🤣

I may have to revisit my earlier assertion.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom