iSmart app and the OBD port, 2022 model

TassieDi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
iSmart app and the OBD port, 2022 model - I am soon to take delivery of my 2022 model, one of the first here in Oz I think :). I will be placing the car in my residential community's carpool, which we manage using the services of the Australian peer to peer carshare company CarNextDoor. Now, the CarNextDoor system monitors the carshare vehicles' location, mileage etc by taking a feed from a dongle which they supply and which the owner inserts into the OBD port. This was fairly straightforward with my previous Nissan Leaf. Now, with this new car, for my personal use, I will want to take advantage of setting up the iSmart app on my phone for best control and info on how the MG ZS is performing.

My question is, does the 2022 model's external communication to the owner's iSmart app utilise the user-accessible OBD port? Or does it have a separate internal OBD and comms setup? What I mean is, is the user-accessible OBD port already occupied by MG's own OBD dongle? If it is, then I'm guessing I will have to work out how/whether it is possible that both I and CarNextDoor can separately access the data feed from the one dongle.

My understanding is that is uses the cellular networks via a 4G sim to talk to the MG server. Your phone using iSmart connects to the server and the server sends a request for data to the car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom