iSMART app not giving me a ”connect vehicle” option for MG4 Trophy

SWK74

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I’ve bought a pre-owned MG 4 Trophy but I am having issue with binding. Although I have registered and logged onto the app, and seemingly logged into the car on the infortainment system using the QR code, I cannot see a “connect vehicle” button to press.

In fact I see it very briefly (<1 sec) and then it disappears. Is there anything I’m doing wrong or is it an issue with the car and/or app?

It’s the button in this video that doesn’t come up (see 3m:40s).

The "Connect Vehicle" button you mean? That suggests that the car is still bound to the previous owner's account. Did you buy privately or via a dealer? Either way you need to go back to the seller and get them to unbind the car / contact MG to get the unbinding done.

Thanks. Yes, it’s the connect vehicle button that’s missing. I’ll go back to the MG dealer and ask them to unbind the car.

Thanks. Yes, it’s the connect vehicle button that’s missing. I’ll go back to the MG dealer and ask them to unbind the car.
The dealer can't unbind from the previous owner. I had to send a request to the MG HQ in Norway. It's either that or the previous owner.

The dealer can't unbind from the previous owner. I had to send a request to the MG HQ in Norway. It's either that or the previous owner.
Did you send the request to MG yourself? I was hoping to getting the dealer to send it because at least they know I’m the genuine owner.

In the UK (so far) MG have generally ignored owners and tended to only handle requests fed through from dealers.

(I think maybe 1 person here has managed it themself direct with MG UK).

In the UK (so far) MG have generally ignored owners and tended to only handle requests fed through from dealers.

(I think maybe 1 person here has managed it themself direct with MG UK).
The dealer is looking into it for me and will get back to me when they know more. I’ll see what they come back with.

Did you send the request to MG yourself? I was hoping to getting the dealer to send it because at least they know I’m the genuine owner.
The dealer was suppose to do it, but nothing happened after a week, so I messaged MG Norway myself. After that the connect icon appeared, so no worries.

The dealer is looking into it for me and will get back to me when they know more. I’ll see what they come back with.
Someone on here has done it via MG UK but they will require a copy of the log book. It might be worth contacting them while you are waiting for your dealer all they can do is either ignore you or say no.

Someone on here has done it via MG UK but they will require a copy of the log book. It might be worth contacting them while you are waiting for your dealer all they can do is either ignore you or say no.
Good idea and in some ways I’d rather just deal direct with MG because I’m good with tech. The log book has yet to arrive though - they said it’ll come by post — so until that does arrive, I suspect I have no option but to give the dealer a few days.

I don’t know if there’s a way for MG to check who the registered keeper is (although again i wonder whether that takes time to make its way through a central database).

Update: I eventually got the V5c form through the post and contacted MG directly. They were quick to come back to me — the “connect vehicle” was visible this evening which meant that it was easy to bind the car (but watch that video above!).

Hi - I have a new Trophy and am having the same issue. I see the add vehicle button for half a second and then it disappears. How do you contact MG directly? Thanks for your help

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back